Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a cycle bike on finance...

Options
  • 25-01-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get my paws on a mountain bike in Cork, but an not able to dish out a lot of cash at the moment. I want something decent enough, as I'd use it for getting to work and also at the weekends.
    I hear Kilgrew are excellent and a few others, but do any of these shops offer finance? I dont think Halfords do either, god knows what I'd end up with from there anyway.
    Any help?
    (And already tried to get my employer on the cycle to work scheme - was refused 3 times. Great place to work....)

Thanks;)

Comments

Credit Union maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

RoverJames wrote: »
    Credit Union maybe :)

Didn't know they sold bikes :p

True, I don't think any shop does bikes on finance though, so you need cash :)

True, I don't think any shop does bikes on finance though, so you need cash :)

Thanks, just a wishful thought so I suppose. Happy days when I bought my first mountain bike from the shop down Blackpool and paid it off every week. :D The guy in there used to give me a little make-shift receipt hand written.
    Pink pages, here I come!

He didn't let you take the bike till you had it all paid though :P

• Advertisement

He didn't let you take the bike till you had it all paid though :P

I know that, it was just a random reminiscent moment of my childhood on the Northside....back when riding your mountain bike down the hill (against the traffic) with no hands was considered cool....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

If you are using it to get to work, can you use the government bike scheme. Not sure of the details of it but you should be able to get a free bike plus accessories.

http://www.bikescheme.ie/

Ludo wrote: »
    If you are using it to get to work, can you use the government bike scheme. Not sure of the details of it but you should be able to get a free bike plus accessories.

http://www.bikescheme.ie/

Thanks Ludo.....but my employer is a bit of a pain in the rear end and are opting not to take part. I even offered to scarifice salary for the bike, i.e cost the company nothing and they still said no. They couldn't be bothered with the paperwork.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Hate that ****. They should have to provide govt schemes to all employees.

Ludo wrote: »
    Hate that ****. They should have to provide govt schemes to all employees.

Totally agree - surely the minister for the environment could make it mandatory that they participate so long as there is no cost to them? Trust me though - this company are known for their treatment of employees. I'm just happy to be employed I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I know a few people who have used girlfriend/brother/friend's who don't cycle cycle to work schemes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I have a fairly decent bike that needs a small repair, you can have it free of charge if you P.M. your contact details

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Defiantly stay away from Halfords if you are going to buy a bike anywho they are really crappy not worth it...You should keep an eye out on Peoples Republic site and another one is Jumble Town a site that well gives unwanted items away for free they might have something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I'm looking to get my paws on a mountain bike in Cork, but an not able to dish out a lot of cash at the moment. I want something decent enough, as I'd use it for getting to work and also at the weekends.
    I hear Kilgrew are excellent and a few others, but do any of these shops offer finance? I dont think Halfords do either, god knows what I'd end up with from there anyway.
    Any help?
    (And already tried to get my employer on the cycle to work scheme - was refused 3 times. Great place to work....)

Thanks;)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

Great online bike shop with very good prices especially if you go for a 09

model €250-€350 will get you a really good bike delivered to your door

i just got a GT avalanche for €289 im sure your local CU will feck you

a few bob

Milly33 wrote: »
    Defiantly stay away from Halfords if you are going to buy a bike anywho they are really crappy not worth it...You should keep an eye out on Peoples Republic site and another one is Jumble Town a site that well gives unwanted items away for free they might have something

Yeah I bought a little run around from there 2 years ago....total heap, all the weight in the back of the bike, screechy brakes and a saddle that was made to punish Hitler! Hlafords? Computer says nooooooo :D

Milly33 wrote: »

I take it you are referring to halfords staff as they sell GT and Boardman

bikes and Carrera albeit those being their own brand high end bike

bryaner wrote: »
    I take it you are referring to halfords staff as they sell GT and Boardman

bikes and Carrera albeit those being their own brand high end bike

Ah yeah I'd say thats what Milly means - my bf bought a really nice mountain bike there (cant remember the make) but he paid a good bit for it. I guess you get what you pay for. The one I bought was a real cheapie - about 150, so in fairness what did I expect! :rolleyes:

Ah yeah I'd say thats what Milly means - my bf bought a really nice mountain bike there (cant remember the make) but he paid a good bit for it. I guess you get what you pay for. The one I bought was a real cheapie - about 150, so in fairness what did I expect! :rolleyes:

Lol yea it was likely an apollo or something like that, you would need to

be a weight lifter to get one in and out of the house.... :p

bryaner wrote: »
    Lol yea it was likely an apollo or something like that, you would need to

be a weight lifter to get one in and out of the house.... :p

Hahaha, bingo!! That was the exact make :D

Hahaha, bingo!! That was the exact make :D

Lol;)

• Advertisement

well holy god....

I persisted with work (just kept on asking and asking and when they said no asked why). I think I annoyed them so much that they gave in and are going to take part. They wont pay for the bike but will do the pay back scheme with me over a year - hurray!
    so my new Kelly's 19'' Flash hybrid (sooo hot) is on its way. :D

Thansk to all for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Good Job, should write to Gormless and tell him to instruct companies they must partake if an employee wants to, not pay for it mind just partake in the scheme

Good Job, should write to Gormless and tell him to instruct companies they must partake if an employee wants to, not pay for it mind just partake in the scheme

Well that was my main gripe - I am not costing them anything, I'm trying to improve my health and all they had to do was a little paper work. By the way, after the scheme was approved, it to took 2 weeks for them to write a cheque...painful.

Hope it is much easier for everyone else. I'm kissing my daily car commute goodbye tomorrow and cannot wait.

Advertisement