Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Sites around the city?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Right just thought id post this and throw it out there, and mods sorry if its in the wrong place or inappropriate if it is just lock it or whatever.

Im just looking for information from people who might be going about their day and notice any building sites with work in progress on them all over the city.

I am out of work, and desperately seeking. I have sent out close to 100 speculative cv's with no joy, so Im going to go with the approach of going directly to sites and asking there. I know its a long shot, but its worth a try.

So basically if you do notice any and got 5 minutes to spare could you let us know? If its not to much hassle, that would be great and I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's one on Cookstown Way out in Tallaght near the Hospital Luas stop, there was work going on it back in December. Also there was one at the Donore Ave/Cork St junction but that seems to have stopped out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

There's one on Cookstown Way out in Tallaght near the Hospital Luas stop, there was work going on it back in December. Also there was one at the Donore Ave/Cork St junction but that seems to have stopped out of the blue.

Up near the rovers ground??

Yea I seen that the other day last week I went down and there was nobody around??

Thanks for the heads up do Gavin, I will give them a bash again tomorrow...

Much appreciated

Be near enough to Shams ground, 5 mins or so away.

Apart from them two I'd be fairly well travelled lately (Beaumount, Inchicore, Tallaght being the mains) and they're literally the only two sites I've seen any work on in the last month.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

d'olier street and pearse street both have elliotts construction sites

mount street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

currently work being done on apartment blocks where Sheiling hotel used to be. Half completed at this stage but you never know. Dollymount House I think is another unfinished site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 offwego

Junction at Cork Street and Donore Avenue has had work going on for months. Looks like it's a pretty big structure too.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

There's work going on in UCD. Walls and Paul are both out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

There are a couple of sites at the bottom of Cork St/Meath Street corner.

They don't look to busy, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

hinault wrote: »

They don't look to busy, mind.

Most of the sites around seem to have very few people on them. Big sites with just 4 or 5 people on them. In a lot cases its only the security guy left watching scaffolding and the likes

Thanks a million to everyone for replying. I will give them a bash tomorrow, so thanks a million.

But if anybody else sees any feel free to let me know....

Thanks again...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭brumindub

Lots of construction work going on currently at Beaumont Hospital by (i think) bam.

Hope it helps and all the best in finding some work!

offwego wrote: »
    Junction at Cork Street and Donore Avenue has had work going on for months. Looks like it's a pretty big structure too.

Bit late offwego.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I think there's some building going on around the Mater Hospital. Building will start on a new cinema in the Stephen's Green shopping centre soon I believe. Will have a look on my way across town tomorrow. Fair play to you for your initiative in starting this thread!

BAM Building Contractors also have a very large sign up outside the former Eastern Health Board building, which is located opposite Heuston Railway Station.

I can tell you though that BAM are activiely bidding for work in Northern Ireland and UK, such is the dearth of work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What type of work?

Work is continuing on the Luas lines from Belgard-Saggart (roadworks also) and Sandyford-Cherrywood.

Victor wrote: »
    What type of work?

Work is continuing on the Luas lines from Belgard-Saggart (roadworks also) and Sandyford-Cherrywood.

Any, by trade im a bricklayer, but I have laboured before and would gladly do it again. So pretty much anything. I would shovel ****e for the right price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 offwego

Bit late offwego.;)

:confused:

Work ongoing every morning I've passed it this week, including today.

offwego wrote: »
    :confused:

Work ongoing every morning I've passed it this week, including today.

Yea, I think gavin was just pointing out he mentioned it before you did.

And your right, there was work on it non-stop, its just when I was passing through it was via cork street side of it and it looked like work had come to standstill. Was done there this morning and there was work going on..

Cheers do mate :)

Did you manage to have a chat with anyone in there Danye? I remember back in December there was a sign on the gate saying "No Jobs".

Did you manage to have a chat with anyone in there Danye? I remember back in December there was a sign on the gate saying "No Jobs".

Yea lad,

They are all sub-contractors doing the work, and the majority of the work is carried out by non-nationals, not that I have a problem with that.

So they had nothing for me! Ah well, theres always tomorrow! :)

• Advertisement

Danye wrote: »
    Yea lad,

They are all sub-contractors doing the work, and the majority of the work is carried out by non-nationals, not that I have a problem with that.

So they had nothing for me! Ah well, theres always tomorrow! :)

Good stuff for trying.

I will keep my eyes peeled for any other sites and will update you if I see any.

hinault wrote: »
    Good stuff for trying.

I will keep my eyes peeled for any other sites and will update you if I see any.

Thanks mate, all in all was on 5 sites looking for work, no joy, but tomorrow is a new day so maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks mate, all in all was on 5 sites looking for work, no joy, but tomorrow is a new day so maybe!

It would be great if you did get something out of this thread :) You seem pretty determined, so thats half the battle!

Davy wrote: »
    It would be great if you did get something out of this thread :) You seem pretty determined, so thats half the battle!

Yea it would :) I think I will get something but have to get out there and make it happen ya know! Im sick of sitting around and just sending out cv's....

Thanks all the same :)

Yea it would :) I think I will get something but have to get out there and make it happen ya know! Im sick of sitting around and just sending out cv's....

Thanks all the same :)

That's the sort of stuff which is inspiring.

Well done to you.
    I have no doubt that you will succeed.
    The direct approach does work.

Advertisement