Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critique my new site (mockup)

Options
  • 25-01-2010 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm doing a website for my mate's dad at the moment, and I'm just looking for some feedback

I've just done the mockup now, obviously it's fairly basic and not too imaginative, but nevertheless if you could give me your thoughts that'd be great :)

Thanks

Dave

(image is attached)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

It seems a bit too large for what's on the page, feels a bit too zoomed in.
    An opportunity for improvement I think is to find a better image for the top of the page... it's a colourful image, but the detail/crispness isn't there, and it's streched out of aspect... it'd probably look fine at a smaller size, but as it is, I think it's robbing something from the overall quality.
    Beyond that, I think it's all down to tweaking the typography, spacing and alignment, experimenting with barely noticable changes can surprise you sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I'm not mad about having the "Get an instant quote" up beside the header, it looks a tad cheap. I would try fitting it in somewhere within the main body of the homepage so it doesnt look out of place. Just my 2c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Too much space taken up by the top photo. Most people won't see the 3 images below because they won't scroll down. I presume those images are links. They are strong images, make sure they're seen. Not enough key words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

On the plus side.
    It's clean, basic and clear.

On the down side.
    Poor typography, poor imagery, very little content, no obvious reason why the site should exist. It's a very basic website.

The main thing you need to do is make the header much smaller. Also since it's a website you should try funnel them through to making online enquiries too. I don't think people are always going to call. There's too much commitment to doing that. "Call us now, or, email us for more info" would be better. Also, throughout the whole site, there's no contrast between any elements. Subtle changes in background colour need to be there in order to segment areas and help guide people's eye:
    Look at these two sites for example:
    http://www.wheeloftea.com/
    http://tearoundapp.com/

And read this article:
    http://www.andyrutledge.com/eye-paths.php

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delux

I think it's great but try some other background colours, don't often see black backgrounds..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭m-a-i-

Definately not the worst at all. I'm a website designer myself and I have seen some god awful web pages....I'm not in any way hinting I'm perfect

I think that the font is a bit too big...I think it might be either a good idea to place the pictures in a different innovative way or maybe put in more text...It will help with SEO...

I'm not too gone on the brown colour...maybe blue or green.... I don't know about anyone else but I think a nice sky blue colour will represent building type websites really well because sky blue + new house building = happy

Hope that helps
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers all, I'll take on board what's been said ! :)

Advertisement