Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingfisher gym membership

• 25-01-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

I,m a member in the kingfisher and my membership is up.
    I paid 470euro last year and the managers down there said they,ll match that again this time making out it was a great deal.
    After talking to other members down there it seems to be the case that the guys trying to sign you up are on commission and that there is a big difference in how much they are haggling the price down to varying from 500 down to 415.
    Just wondering is there many kingfisher members on here and how much they,re being quoted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I paid 500 Euro last year and this year they still looked for 500 Euro. I used the pool only though so I left and use the Crystal now on a pay as you go basis.
    500 was as low as they would go for me last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nialeon

Hi mate,,,I joined last week..and got them down to €435....As i had 2 other people looking to join...so you can be sure there is plenty of haggling going on down there,,,Also there supposed €200 euro free membership pack!!you need to pay in full to get that!!I happen to know Nearly all new members signed up for the pay monthly deal...And are not entitled to it..I was told we can give ya a few free passes..!!like wtf..I just joined why do I need free passes!!!Dumbass...P.s they try hit you for an admin fee on the monthly..deal...Speak up and tell them no way!!ur chargin €80 to give me a card & process my laser card!!either drop it or walk away!!I bet you he will call ya back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

I paid 500 when it opened first, I didn't join for the second year. They kept ringing me to join up again, dropping the price each time, went down to 430 I think! I still think it's to much to pay, the equivalent gym in Dublin cost 320!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

I paid 500 when it opened first, I didn't join for the second year. They kept ringing me to join up again, dropping the price each time, went down to 430 I think! I still think it's to much to pay, the equivalent gym in Dublin cost 320!
    and there heaviest dumbell only goes to 35kgs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Thanks lads, looks like if you asked 10 different members in there how much they paid for membership you,d get 10 different answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

paid 475 the first year, the second year it was 500 and they were charging me 500 again, only for I said my brother only pays 450.. which he does, and so they said thats fine I can give u the same deal.. i said , yeah what about last year.... i was over charged 50 last year too.. he said I will have something for you when you come in and see me...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

so basically they seem to charge what they want depending on who are you, could be anything from 450-500?

Cabaal wrote: »
    so basically they seem to charge what they want depending on who are you, could be anything from 450-500?
    seems to be the case and less than 450 in some cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

place seems a bit mad alright. I know one fella who paid hundreds the first year and got it for about half what he paid the second year. He could also get someone in for a lot less because he is a member. Prices seem to be all over the shop alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

we paid 1000 for the family membership last year but when i was dealing with the guy i told him that my aunt, mam, dad and sister and all her family were joining also on my recommendation and he said he'd "look after" me..i though grand and my parents went and joined paying 550 euro each, my aunt got it for 380 euro and my sister paid more than me and when i said it to them what was i getting as i had referred all these people i was told i could have a few more free passes..for what?? all my family were in the bloody gym:mad: will never go near the place again, our membership is up and they were to the point of hassling us to renew and i just said no and they jept reducing it down and down

the pool was the main thing i was joining for for the kids but anytime i went, at a time that suited us after tea there were always swimming lessons on at the kiddy pool and my kids had to just sit on the step in the water..i got so fed up of it that i stopped bringing them in the end..can't abide the place..badly run, lots of the machines in the gym broken and my brother in law had his runners stolen when someone broke into his locker

• Advertisement

Whats the pool like down there anyways? heard its class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

seanybiker wrote: »
    Whats the pool like down there anyways? heard its class.

The pool is fine but there's nothing special about it really.

The pool is fine but there's nothing special about it really.

ah right. I dont think i can swim anyways. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Ive been told that they are giving out student rates to some non student people aswell, dont know what those rates are but i think they are shocking. I used a free week in there before and liked the gym, brought my 1 year old daughter to the pool one morning and got abused from a owl wan for changing her in the changing rooms would you believe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

use the pool down there a few times, but i always pay as you go.... not cheap €8 a pop..
    pool is fine.. nothing special at all about it...its clean just about warm and thats about it really...

only use it cause they are open at 7am.....

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I wonder about that gym myself, I have a friend in her mid 40's never attended a gym before and did the odd spot of walking called into the kingfisher asking advice on what class she should attend to ease her into shape.. They advised her to take a "spinning" class. She attended the class completely unaware of what it entailed. Needless to say she could not keep up with the class everyone in the room was too fit and it completely put her off being a beginner. I'm not in anyway a big gym person but I think they could have advised her better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

I think the management in there are a bunch of pricks to be honest, I mean what gym doesnt have a water fountain in the gym floor. I mentioned it to them one day and they said they have bottles of water at the counter for 2 euro,I mean come on I would go through 2 of those bottle during a workout ,am I supposed to pay 4 euro for water every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

I also think they automatically join you up for a second year unless you state in writing that you wont be renewing the membership, I missed one payment one month and when I went in one day to use the gym, I was told that I wouldnt be able to use the facility till I paid up even though I was being paid the day after, technically she was right but its things like this that dont endear one to resubscribe for another year

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

I think the management in there are a bunch of pricks to be honest, I mean what gym doesnt have a water fountain in the gym floor.
    A lot I know.
    I mentioned it to them one day and they said they have bottles of water at the counter for 2 euro,I mean come on I would go through 2 of those bottle during a workout ,am I supposed to pay 4 euro for water every time
    Maybe a longshot but: Bring your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fazerhead

I coulden't bargain with them at all. Mentioned taht a few others had paid less to see what they would say. It appears 415 &430 were never offered to anyone. They have other clubs in the west of the country which are linked to hotels and smaller and not as good - apparently they have these prices. Is everyone on here talking about Kingfisher in Waterford?? Said if you join as a couple it works out at 990 or 495 each. Current members renewing with them get slightly less - think he said 940 or 470 each. Said they stick to prices - same for every one. I joined for 525 - new member single rate. He wouldnt budge on this at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Thats crap, i was offered 430 to rejoin after i paid 500 the year before. keep turning them down and they will drop the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fazerhead

Don't think so! Sincerely doubt you offered 430. My friend tried same with another guy down there last night. He told him if he gave him a name of a member he would check how much they paid and if it was true he would do the same for him - He was very confident that no one has ever paid €430 for a single membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 winky72

Fzerhead, Ya seem to be right on them not lowering the price. After reading all the posts about the club I thought that I might get a membership for €430 or so, as the club I'm in at the moment are looking for nearly €600 for me to rejoin next week (fat chance of that). So I decided to go down eariler tonight and see what I could get it for, and not a chance could I get him to move on the price. He told me "the price was set, sorry" but he could give me a pass or two to bring in a friend or two free of charge. I told him i'd have to think about it as my other membership is up for another week or so and even then he didn't lower the price....

It did looked pretty impressive though and seems very well priced, I think I might join myself next week anyway but I'll wait and see if they come back with a better offer first as I gave him my number.

I think everyone thats posted on this thread is talking about kingfisher in waterford, it is in the waterford city section.
    There is definitely people after getting membership cheaper than the 470 being quoted here.
    There is alot of teenagers going in there too after school anyone know how much they,re paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jayp

Dont know if teenagers get it any cheaper but the student rate I paid last year was €399. I know of friends/family who have haggled successfully to get ordinary membership rates down to around the 450 mark and I have heard of certain members who only paid the student rate but have never seen the inside of a college

• Registered Users Posts: 10 winky72

Well lads just joined up at the kingfisher club toight paid €525 and got a couple of 2 day passes that family or friends can use along with the membership. They rang me about 3 or 4 times looking for the business put every time not dropping the price. Yesterday I even went as far as to call their bluff and say "that my own club droped my renewal price to €470 from nearly €600 so it looks like I will stay with them unless ye can do better or come close", but all the guy said was "no sorry, as the price is set" and that was it. So today I just went down and joined (had a god work out aswel).
    I will keep everyone posted on how I'm getting on over the next few weeks.

winky72 wrote: »
    Well lads just joined up at the kingfisher club toight paid €525 and got a couple of 2 day passes that family or friends can use along with the membership. They rang me about 3 or 4 times looking for the business put every time not dropping the price. Yesterday I even went as far as to call their bluff and say "that my own club droped my renewal price to €470 from nearly €600 so it looks like I will stay with them unless ye can do better or come close", but all the guy said was "no sorry, as the price is set" and that was it. So today I just went down and joined (had a god work out aswel).
    I will keep everyone posted on how I'm getting on over the next few weeks.

€525....... Fcuk me you got ripped off

€525....... Fcuk me you got ripped off[/QUOTE]

Winky, you wouldn,t be one of the managers in kingfisher by any chance would you??? Seeing you only joined after this thread started.

€525....... Fcuk me you got ripped off

Winky, you wouldn,t be one of the managers in kingfisher by any chance would you??? Seeing you only joined after this thread started.[/QUOTE]
    i was thinking same..... as name very similar to one of the sales guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

i wouldnt pay 525 for it.. i paid 450 this year, and thats the max i would pay

Machines rarely work.. all bull crap about having TVs on each treadmill , and bike.. but the volume never works.. also i agree some of the lads doing the programs are hit and miss... .i have been told the opposite of what one has told me, by another guy in there, loads of times... but there are some good people in the gym that really know their stuff, u need to catch them when they are on though...

They finally sorted the showers in there, they were brutal for ages

Advertisement