Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor workmanship - what can I do?

• 25-01-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I go 2 new shocks (and a catalytic convertor) put in my girlfriends Ford Fiesta just before Christmas. its a second car and only does about 50 miles a week. After much deliberation I reluctantly let Advance Pitstop do the job - mainly cause it was handy for work and I didn't have to take time off etc..
    Anyway the last 2 weeks or so theres been an annoying knocking sound from the front - I presumed it to be a wishbone or ball joint - anything expect the shock cause they're only 6 weeks old at this stage. Anyway I had a mechanic mate of mine look at it and it turns out:
    1. The top nut on the RHS (just under the bonnet) was about 1 full turn away from popping off
    2. A second allen head screw on the wheel arch side was broken - he reckons this was done at time of installation
    3. An annoying rattle from the exhaust had been caused bu htem not putting the heat shield back on correctly

Surely leaving a half fitted shock, knowing the fixing was damaged is almost criminal? I've only just got off the phone from him so havn't been able to contact the garage - they close at 5 - but what kind of recourse do i Have??:mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....the most obvious one is remediation of the problem. If the nut on the shock is that loose, and you've left it that way for them to see it - it's important that you DON'T drive it.

Make them come and recover it, fix it, and some some sort of compensation for your trouble.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nikolakaro

Advance Pitstop maybe somewhat helpful in fitting tyres that’s just about all they can do properly with cars as they do not employ qualified mechanics. The chances are your car was repaired by an apprentice and he wasn’t even supervised during the job. However do go back and make sure they redo the job properly and next time use a proper mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If you didn't go to a qualified mechanic, what did you expect? Admittedly mechanics can fall down too, but at least they've had some training. I'm not implying that this is your fault, but I'd suggest either doing it yourself or going to a qualified mechanic next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Advanced pitstop have full time mechanics. No idea if there are qualifications for mechanics, but there job spec is just a mechanic

Advertisement