Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which OS ?

• 25-01-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

I am just researching buying a new computer and I am getting confused..... There are some systems which offer Vista Home Premium and others Win 7

Can anyone say how they compare ? I am used to 2000

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

More C&T than S&S, so moving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'd say Windows 7 seeing that Microsoft had a little bit of trouble getting people to adopt Vista.

If you want to stick with Microsoft I'd say Win 7.

Linux? The best xp-like interface (if you don't mind the search for compatible drivers) is Ubuntu, plus it's free!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Sparks wrote: »
    More C&T than S&S, so moving...

Eh - is that geek speak ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No, boards.ie speak :)
    C&T - Computers & Technology, the forum the thread is now in; S&S - Servers & Systems, the forum it was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Windows 7 over Vista any day. They took all the lessons learned from Vista and XP and put them into Windows 7

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    No, boards.ie speak :)
    C&T - Computers & Technology, the forum the thread is now in; S&S - Servers & Systems, the forum it was in.

Gotcha, thanks sparks.

Windows 7 over Vista any day. They took all the lessons learned from Vista and XP and put them into Windows 7

I am glad you said that because I was veering to 7 but just didn't know anything about Vista. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Windows 7 also has an option to run in XP mode, which is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Terry wrote: »

Which is also a big problem if history has anything to say.
    On the other hand, Linux can be very, very dodgy with old
    apps compiled for an earlier version of Linux. Good for security.

Not supporting 15+ year old code has it's up and downs:)
    @OP -You will need a silly amount of Ram for Vista. I am inclined
    to say Linux if it suits you, windows otherwise OP.

A lot of the comps' I've been looking at come with Vista but I'm inclined towards 7.

Does anyone know the difference between 7 'Home Edition' and 7 'Professional' ?

• Advertisement

flynnboy wrote: »
    A lot of the comps' I've been looking at come with Vista but I'm inclined towards 7.

Does anyone know the difference between 7 'Home Edition' and 7 'Professional' ?

The average computer user wouldn't really notice much difference between Home and Pro. There is a comparison here, if none of the Pro extras look like any use to you then there is your answer :)

As for PC's coming with Vista thats probably just retailers trying to get rid of their copies. Getting Vista over Windows 7 would be madness imo.

The average computer user wouldn't really notice much difference between Home and Pro. There is a comparison here, if none of the Pro extras look like any use to you then there is your answer :)

As for PC's coming with Vista thats probably just retailers trying to get rid of their copies. Getting Vista over Windows 7 would be madness imo.

Hi I appreciate that.

The only thing that gives me a question is the difference between 16 GB of physical memory with Home Premium and 192 with the Pro version. This seems like a lot but to be honest I don't have a clue what 16 GB of memory will give me. I am reasonably computer savvy but I've never quite got a handle on what the sizes of memory mean in real terms.

Is 16 GB a good size of memory say for small business use using lots of images ?

16GB is the amount of RAM you can use in 64bit mode (Home version). In 32bit mode it is 3.4GB, explained why here. It is extremely unlikely you will be using over 16GB of RAM in your PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Hyperupdate

I say Windows 7. Vista was a huge failure ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Terry wrote: »
    Only in Win 7 Pro or Ultimate, not Home Basic or Home Premium.
    Same option was there in Vista Pro / Ultimate.

Advertisement