Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wolves v Liverpool thread [Mod Warning Post #1, #232, #255]

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

best keeper in the league at the moment. You really saying thats impossible for anyone to be better than Given in anyone season :rollingeyes:

WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Headshot wrote: »
    jebus you talk some good ****

your last post was bragging that utd wasnt going to buy any players
    i just proved ya wrong, just except it and moved on

thats my final post on the matter here :)

yap tonights game

that Kyriakos lad is getting better and better it seems

he might turn out to be a very descent buy if he hasnt already

Yeah, Kryiakos got a lot of unfair stick earlier in the season. He's a big reason for a better back 4 in the last few games.

On a sidenote, the draws are adding up again!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Headshot wrote: »
    jebus you talk some good ****

your last post was bragging that utd wasnt going to buy any players
    i just proved ya wrong, just except it and moved on

thats my final post on the matter here :)

yap tonights game

that Kyriakos lad is getting better and better it seems

he might turn out to be a very descent buy if he hasnt already

Shhhhhh there are a few on here who think otherwise, and that his performances for Rangers years ago should decide how he is as a player now :rolleyes:

What I see of him is a guy who is being a leader at the back when he plays, and although he is not the fastest on the ground, he compensates with his reading of the game. It is no coincidence that the defence looks a bit better and less error prone since he slotted in beside Skrtel. Even Carragher, before his recent move to right back, looked better when he partnered Kyriakos.

The big Greek may be no world beater, but he is looking like being a good stop gap between now and the end of the season. Just a pity Agger was not fit to partner him the last few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Right, I've already had to ban two users following off-topic posting and I'd really rather not ban anyone else, so please stay on topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

daithijjj wrote: »
    Rafa benitez.........."things are looking very positive, another clean sheet"

Against the mighty wolves? :cool:

Steven gerrard....."i think it was a point gained rather than 2 dropped".

My good God did Benitez and Gerrard actually make those comments? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Yes. Yes they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

daithijjj wrote: »
    Yes. Yes they did.

Jesus wept.

Siege mentality, defend at all costs!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

All these dropped points are going to prove costly by end of season. Probably stating the obvious but its putting more and more pressure on team to deliver. There was a time when liverpool wouldnt settle for second best and yet now they are settling for fourth best. Only saw the second half tonight but we just seemed to lack a real presence in the penalty area. The funny thing is fans seems to be 100 per cent behind Rafa judging by footage I saw on LFC website the other night when they cheered in the team bus before spurs game . its a siege mentality over there. when anyone from outside criticises they become enclosed. So in a small way you can understand why pool posters here get annoyed when those outside make criticisms. We watch them week in week out. We know what the problems are and are genuinely concerned about what goes on. Its important to state that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Mr Alan wrote: »
    can't win, if we'd have kept gerrard on the bench, no doubt he'd have been slated for that too, can't win.

Fair point. Thing is though there is nothing wrong with using your subs and you are allowed do it before 75 mins.

I said it all season and I will continue to, no need for Lucas and Masch in the middle against 'inferior' opposition. They offer nothing going forward. Any manager worth his salt can see that Kuyt is playing badly. A run in the reserves would do him no harm.

At half time tonight I would have brought on Ngog and Aqua.

Too stubborn by half our Rafa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Morzadec wrote: »

Watching Liverpool isn't much fun at the moment.

I've had to sit through a few Liverpool games recently on the TV, Reading being one, and another one the week in between, pure paint drying type stuff.
    Am heading to my first PL match this weekend in Anfield (with a group of friends, some who are Liverpool Supporters)
    NONE of us are looking forward to the match itself (the event yes, but not the match).
    Such has been the quality of foot ball on display in Pool matches this year.
    I really hope something happens in the Bolton game to at least make it entertaining.

Even the Pool fans are apprehensive about going.
    Anyway lets hope the fayre will be better than recent matches.

All these dropped points are going to prove costly by end of season. Probably stating the obvious but its putting more and more pressure on team to deliver. There was a time when liverpool wouldnt settle for second best and yet now they are settling for fourth best. Only saw the second half tonight but we just seemed to lack a real presence in the penalty area. The funny thing is fans seems to be 100 per cent behind Rafa judging by footage I saw on LFC website the other night when they cheered in the team bus before spurs game . its a siege mentality over there. when anyone from outside criticises they become enclosed. So in a small way you can understand why pool posters here get annoyed when those outside make criticisms. We watch them week in week out. We know what the problems are and are genuinely concerned about what goes on. Its important to state that

I can see the problems too and Rafa is a big part but we are stuck with him until the end of the season at least.

Everybody knows we need confidence in the team. Starting point is clean sheets. He is addressing our biggest failing this season.

Very few managers or teams can combine total football and clean sheets!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

kippy wrote: »
    I've had to sit through a few Liverpool games recently on the TV, Reading being one, and another one the week in between, pure paint drying type stuff.
    Am heading to my first PL match this weekend in Anfield (with a group of friends, some who are Liverpool Supporters)
    NONE of us are looking forward to the match itself (the event yes, but not the match).
    Such has been the quality of foot ball on display in Pool matches this year.
    I really hope something happens in the Bolton game to at least make it entertaining.

Even the Pool fans are apprehensive about going.
    Anyway lets hope the fayre will be better than recent matches.

My advice would be to check out CAMRA's (Campaign for Real Ale) Pub Guide for liverpool and make fantastic quality real Ale the crux of your trip.

careca wrote: »
    Fair point. Thing is though there is nothing wrong with using your subs and you are allowed do it before 75 mins.

I said it all season and I will continue to, no need for Lucas and Masch in the middle against 'inferior' opposition. They offer nothing going forward. Any manager worth his salt can see that Kuyt is playing badly. A run in the reserves would do him no harm.

At half time tonight I would have brought on Ngog and Aqua.

Too stubborn by half our Rafa.

The strange thing is, people made the same point last season, except it was Alonso and Masch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Was it neccessary to ban Headshot and Rosco?? What's going on?

Anyway, Man City are clear favourites!! To be quite honest, if they get any proper belief, they will overtake Arsenal.

For us, we're f*cked!! And it could get worse, cos we are not finishing in the top four this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i hate being right.

i've just seen extended highlights, and that was embarrassing.

Pep, Kyrgiakos and maybe Riera are exempt. Rafa and the rest...holy f*cking Jebus.

where are those saying we'd turned a corner?

exactly, we still can't play football. yes, we work hard. yes, there's all the effort in the world. yes, we're sorting out our defence - the Greek God somehow being our knight in shining armour.

but for the love of all that is good and holy, why can a bunch of professional footballers not pass the ball properly. it's shocking. i swear, Rafa must spend the entire time on the training ground working on fitness and chasing the ball. because that's all i really ever see that's quality from us.

and Rafa, where was Aquilani? a bit of imagination maybe, a bit of a different tactic every so often when the smack it up front as direct as possible doesn't work. how does he still not understand it? when something isn't working, try something else, a different way of playing. surely, that is basic management. he cannot possibly think that was working tonight.

on the bright side, as i hinted at, our defence is looking solid. the fact Kyrgiakos can head the ball, and can clear corners, free kicks and crosses helps.

onwards we go.

it really still isn't pleasant being a Liverpool supporter at the moment.

4th is looking a very fragile prospect.

SlickRic wrote: »

but for the love of all that is good and holy, why can a bunch of professional footballers not pass the ball properly. it's shocking. i swear, Rafa must spend the entire time on the training ground working on fitness and chasing the ball. because that's all i really ever see that's quality from us.

and Rafa, where was Aquilani? a bit of imagination maybe, a bit of a different tactic every so often when the smack it up front as direct as possible doesn't work. how does he still not understand it? when something isn't working, try something else, a different way of playing. surely, that is basic management. he cannot possibly think that was working tonight.
    did you think Wolves tactics were hard to play against. I thought Doyle did well in second half. Defense weren't given much time to clear the ball. But again we had a similiar case of a defender pushing forward in last few moments (was Dossena awhile back) where we really should have had aqualani on. But to re emphasize the point just thought Gerrard looked lost out there tonight.

did you think Wolves tactics were hard to play against.

yes, they were.

but if you're a good team, with a copped on manager, you try changing things.

like bringing on your £20m midfielder, taking off Masch or Lucas, and pushing that £20m midfielder further forward with Stevie, Kuyt et al.

or stick Pacheco on and have him help them.

or even MC Babel himself. take off one of your defensive players and stick an attacker on.

it just gets painful knowing he won't ever go out of his comfort even, with all due respect, against Wolves; one of the more fragile teams in the League.

SlickRic wrote: »
    yes, they were.

but if you're a good team, with a copped on manager, you try changing things.

like bringing on your £20m midfielder, taking off Masch or Lucas, and pushing that £20m midfielder further forward with Stevie, Kuyt et al.

or stick Pacheco on and have him help them.

or even MC Babel himself. take off one of your defensive players and stick an attacker on.

it just gets painful knowing he won't ever go out of his comfort even, with all due respect, against Wolves; one of the more fragile teams in the League.
    yes have been suggesting Pacheco for awhile but there seems to be the suggestion that he is too lightweight. very bad result for us tonight. Just going to heap more pressure on us and remember we have city and arsenal to play in February. Can we really expect to take six points from those games. Form is just so erratic at the moment. Think Rafa has to get in another player before end of transfer window.

• Advertisement

yes have been suggesting Pacheco for awhile but there seems to be the suggestion that he is too lightweight.

he probably is still.

but anything would have been nice for a bit of a change of emphasis.

it was turgid, as usual this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think the Pacheco movement is based on a bit of a bandwagon effect to be brutally honest.

I am not saying he won't turn into a decent player but the amount of people calling for him to be included seems to multiply every week despite the fact the has only played as a lated second half sub in a CL game (If I am correct that is what started the hype - among many anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Wonder do Juventus still want Benitez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Holy crap that was terrible but hey it's not the end of the world, where was deggen tonight could have done with his pace,
    and what's with all the banning :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The Pacheco movement is wrecking my head, to be honest. I'm actually hoping he gets a game somewhere so that the 'fans' will just shut the f*ck up about him

monkey9 wrote: »
    The Pacheco movement is wrecking my head, to be honest. I'm actually hoping he gets a game somewhere so that the 'fans' will just shut the f*ck up about him
    to be honest he has been very impressive for the reserves. He is a real prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

to be honest he has been very impressive for the reserves. He is a real prospect.

He will get his chance but I hope when we are playing well and there's no pressure hardly fair on the chap at the moment

monkey9 wrote: »

i don't think he's ready, for the record.

merely a prospect.

i just used him as an example of something different we could have tried.

he falls under the category of 'anything'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

how did maxi fair? that's all i want to know. missed most of the game due to work and streaming issues. from what i did see stevie was nowhere near match fit. it could have been a risk that went horribly wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

gotta love when you look at the thread title and its all "mod warning #1, #232, #255"........... just makes it feed pointless to post anything in here because a bunch of dribblers are already spamming away nonsense :/

anyhow... it was hardly like wolves were decent today. very ugly game to watch and rarely did one team get any sort of a rhythm going. kuyt still cant pass and is as good as a holding midfielder in breaking down liverpool attacks. maxi was lost on the right hand side today and carragher was doing nothing to help that. the rest of the team might as well have said to him "obviously you are unfamiliar with jamie playing at right back. your on your own mate". he'd be good with degen or johnson with him, someone that can read how we are attacking, but with carra we were just blunt all down one half of the pitch.

reira seemed to be playing ok and seems eager which is good to see. nice to see a bit of width being used and id say if we had yossi or torres back we would have definitely got a goal from somewhere. wolves werent really posing a threat and were quite good at breaking us down but having said that, they offered f-all creatively. they may have got a point off liverpool but i dont see anyone there that can get them out of the relegation zone and im afraid old mick will be going down again.

ngog was a bit crap when he came on which surprised me tbh, but c'est la vie. think it would have been nice to see aquilani come on at the half for lucas as i dont think lucas can be as creative as him and thats what we needed. heck, would have even liked to have seen babel play as a centre forward in the second half.

still a lot more question here then answers, but at least we didnt lose :)

oh and apparantly some lad called steven gerrard was playing today. anyone see him? is he any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's not about being sad enough to want look clever on the internet, or to be sad enough to think that a person wants to look clever on the internet.

It is simply a case of a player doing well more often than not when he has played this season, and giving him the credit that his good performances deserve. He looks a hell of a lot better than players on the team who get called world class by many.

His performances for other clubs, good or bad, have no bearing whatsoever on how he is currently playing for Liverpool.

If you think he has been mediocre this season, and has not played well more often than not for Liverpool this season, then that is your take on it, and we will just have to agree to disagree on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Kess73 wrote: »
    It's not about being sad enough to want look clever on the internet, or to be sad enough to think that a person wants to look clever on the internet.

It is simply a case of a player doing well more often than not when he has played this season, and giving him the credit that his good performances deserve. He looks a hell of a lot better than players on the team who get called world class by many.

His performances for other clubs, good or bad, have no bearing whatsoever on how he is currently playing for Liverpool.

If you think he has been mediocre this season, and has not played well more often than not for Liverpool this season, then that is your take on it, and we will just have to agree to disagree on that.
    Its all relative.
    He has done far better than a lot in the same 11 - its about as high a level as he can aspire to as if the rest of those 11 were playing to their potential he would look mediocre.....
    Still, as you say, no reason not to give him credit but he sure as hell isn't the kind of player Liverpool should be aspiring to, for the money and role he plays he'd doing as well as he can.

Its all relative.
    He has done far better than a lot in the same 11 - its about as high a level as he can aspire to as if the rest of those 11 were playing to their potential he would look mediocre.....
    Still, as you say, no reason not to give him credit but he sure as hell isn't the kind of player Liverpool should be aspiring to, for the money and role he plays he'd doing as well as he can.

Which comes back to the point that Rafa didn't have the money available for a better player. If we can keep another few clean sheets with him there, he'll have been worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

K-9 wrote: »
    Which comes back to the point that Rafa didn't have the money available for a better player. If we can keep another few clean sheets with him there, he'll have been worth the money.

In fairness Dunne and Huth were only 5 million a piece, plenty of value out there.

The game last night suited the Greek, as he is good in the air and ball was seldom on the ground. He walked a thin line at times, I counted 5 fouls on Doyle that went unpunished.

Its all relative.

Actually I think if the other ten players were playing to their full potential, then he would look a lot better as the weaknesses in his game would be more hidden by team playing well, than by a team that is playing poorly almost every game.

I have never said that he is top class or anything even with sniffing distance of being a top player, but he is proving to be a decent player for Liverpool in terms of playing ability, and maybe even more importantly, he is proving to be a leader at the back when there was nobody stepping into the role for most of the season.

He is proving to be the experienced player at the back which Carragher should have been this season. As I have said before about him, for the money that was paid out for him, he is proving to be a good stop gap player.

Boggles wrote: »
    In fairness Dunne and Huth were only 5 million a piece, plenty of value out there.

The game last night suited the Greek, as he is good in the air and ball was seldom on the ground. He walked a thin line at times, I counted 5 fouls on Doyle that went unpunished.

It is very easy to come out and say that the game suited him though. Plenty were saying before the Spurs game that he would be found out against Crouch and Defoe, yet he managed to come through that game pretty well by stifling Crouch, and the few times that Defoe did get to run at him, he was always in a good position to retrieve the ball.

I'm sure that people will point to the pass back to Reina as evidence of a failing, but if the ref does not give it, then who cares. Same as the stuff with Doyle. The ref nor the linesmen saw it as a foul, so it worked in terms of stopping Doyle.

Goes the same way when Torres is given a hard time by defenders, if the ref does not call on it, then the defenders are doing the job for their team by stopping the attacker.

Boggles wrote: »

I think Rafa was looking at other options but had to go bargain basement, at the last minute!

He got a lot of unfair stick when he played a few games last year. He was drafted into a back 4 that was leaking goals and people expected instant results.

Advertisement