Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth getting night rate?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Is it worth getting the night rate ESB meter for the average user?

BTW I dont have storage heating

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Work out your units you used last year, then depending on the amount, you can work out how many you need to use at night rate to save.

The standing charge is about €4 extra a month, so you need to switch enough units to after 11pm to save the difference.

Its no problem to switch to night rate, just switching back to a single tariff meter has a €190 charge. This will go in time with the more modern meters that can handle both.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Here's my break down

Both based in Urban Rates

Currently have ESB night rate

Period is over xmass and coldsnap and the bill was for 66 days.

Day Units 1520 (average 23 per day)
    Night Units 897 (average 13.6 per day)

Total Bill was €361

If i was on the day rate it would of being €406.

We dont have night storage or electric heaters in use.

We heat the water from 5 until 8am and run the drier as much as possible from 11pm. We don't do very drastic measures!

Average usage of the night rate electricity seems to be a little above 50% of day time rate. (usually 17.8 units per day, and 8.9 night units)

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

kodak wrote: »
    Here's my break down

Both based in Urban Rates

Currently have ESB night rate

Period is over xmass and coldsnap and the bill was for 66 days.

Day Units 1520 (average 23 per day)
    Night Units 897 (average 13.6 per day)

Total Bill was €361

If i was on the day rate it would of being €406.

We dont have night storage or electric heaters in use.

We heat the water from 5 until 8am and run the drier as much as possible from 11pm. We don't do very drastic measures!

Average usage of the night rate electricity seems to be a little above 50% of day time rate. (usually 17.8 units per day, and 8.9 night units)

Hope that helps

Thanks for the details. I use the gas for heating the water and I dont have a dryer. The only things I could switch over would be the washing machine/dishwasher. So I dont think it would be worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

irishguy wrote: »
    Thanks for the details. I use the gas for heating the water and I dont have a dryer. The only things I could switch over would be the washing machine/dishwasher. So I dont think it would be worth it for me.

No I dont think so in your case but anyone heating water with electricty and uses an electric shower before the day rate kicks in, it may be worth considering.
    Only saved €13 during the september-november bill but it's all better in our pockets!

Now off to see if I can move from ESB, Had a nice credit due to a faulty meter timer!

Advertisement