Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

belgian blue on heifers?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Ya charolais for salers i think,dont have any but there always pushing charolais as a good cross at the ploughing,especially cullard charolais such as AI sire "Lanzac".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

pakalasa wrote: »
    I think that Salers will become popular again when the breed improoves that bit more. In the same way that the Limousin did.
    They seem to lack that bit of milk and they're not as easy calving as led to believe. Limousin cows calve easier, according to ICBF, they do anyway.
    They're an ideal cross though with limousins. You wont get crazy color changes and you gain from hybrid vigour.
    I have a few myself, weanlings, but I'd be slow to keep tham as cows. I dont think they'd have the milk and they're lacking in muscle too.

That icbf is another racket in some respects at least. Very, very few lads reporting the bad news. Mad = docile. Massive pull = normal calving. Section = some assistance. As one breeder says to me why sh1t on your own doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Thankfully it's not up to the breeders to decide. Like I said, the info comes from many sources, including all the relatives of the bull, while some might be rubbish like you said, the mayority isn't.

Take the Limousin bull Rocky (ROX), one of the most used bulls in the breed. He's hard calving, in the bottom 4% of the breed. This figure was compiled from 15,411 calving records. That's by definition, over 99% reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 monaghan man

I bought a blue heifer out of a british fresian that calved monday, she calved a charlois bull calf for her first calf with no assistance.. Shes a nice heifer with plenty of milk. What bull would you suggest i put on her this year. Shes not overly tall but a well shaped heifer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I bought a blue heifer out of a british fresian that calved monday, she calved a charlois bull calf for her first calf with no assistance.. Shes a nice heifer with plenty of milk. What bull would you suggest i put on her this year. Shes not overly tall but a well shaped heifer..

I'd put a chaorlais or limousin on her again. The Blue colour should come out in the calf which will give him/her extra sale value when the time comes.

Putting a BB on a blue heifer risks the calf being double muscled and can lead to an assisted calving or even a section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Bit of a gamble giving a charlois to a First time Freisian X heifer ... what bull was the charlois

reilig wrote: »
    I'd put a chaorlais or limousin on her again. The Blue colour should come out in the calf which will give him/her extra sale value when the time comes.

Putting a BB on a blue heifer risks the calf being double muscled and can lead to an assisted calving or even a section.

Id like to put a limousin on her to be honest but what limousin is there that can cross well to a blue to would give a great shape calf with abit of growth.. Id like a blue/black calf out of her..

Milbrook Tanko is producing super ross to a blue cow, That blue/Black colour and super shape and growth but i know who used him and he had to take the calf out of the side of the cow.. I dont want that.

adne wrote: »
    Bit of a gamble giving a charlois to a First time Freisian X heifer ... what bull was the charlois

I only bought the heifer tuesday there and she calved monday, its a stock bull the man had, the bulls not wonderfull but i still wouldnt have changed putting a charlois on her but shes calved and has a lively we tight bull calf with a nice front and back on him. She has oceans of milk for him, she should make a good job of him.

Id like to go for a limousin now on her, that will bring super shape and growth to the calf, its hard to find a good limousin that will do that without busting the cow or taking the calf from the side of her?

I would try ULM from Dovea hes not too easy calved but should give growth and shape,others are NSQ and benzene..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

I only bought the heifer tuesday there and she calved monday, its a stock bull the man had, the bulls not wonderfull but i still wouldnt have changed putting a charlois on her but shes calved and has a lively we tight bull calf with a nice front and back on him. She has oceans of milk for him, she should make a good job of him.

Id like to go for a limousin now on her, that will bring super shape and growth to the calf, its hard to find a good limousin that will do that without busting the cow or taking the calf from the side of her?

FL22 a good limousin all rounder.

hoodrats wrote: »
    FL22 a good limousin all rounder.

Theres a lot about this bull, Have you seen any calves from him??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Id like to put a limousin on her to be honest but what limousin is there that can cross well to a blue to would give a great shape calf with abit of growth.. Id like a blue/black calf out of her..

Milbrook Tanko is producing super ross to a blue cow, That blue/Black colour and super shape and growth but i know who used him and he had to take the calf out of the side of the cow.. I dont want that.

I have 2 pedigrees from Milbrook Tanko - both are great calves. The cows are carrying to sauvignon for next year - so hopefully they will be as good.

I put Tanko on a few commercial heifers this year too and don't have any fear about getting the calves out.

As discussed on here before - the act of having to take the calf out of the side of the cow is caused only 10% by the genetics of the calf and 90% by how and what you feed the cow or heifer for the 4 months before she calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Theres a lot about this bull, Have you seen any calves from him??
    no , the bulls not around that long but my neighbour has heifers calving to him next month . hes supposed to be a real easy calver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

hoodrats wrote: »
    ........ hes supposed to be a real easy calver.

Ya, he's in the top 8% of the Limousin Breed (with 98% reliability).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

I'd recommend RUA. I had some super calves from Blue Cows with him this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

reilig wrote: »
    I used him on a couple of heifers this year. Will let ye know the result :)

dId those heifers calve alright to the blonde bull indiana ? was thinking of using him on a strong red lim

Advertisement