Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the evolution of politics

Options
  • 25-01-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

There's a great article in yesterday's SBP by Stephen Price that has a different perspecitve on the Haiti disaster.
    http://www.thepost.ie/story/eygbidmhoj/#mon

The cruise ship in his article represents a way more horrible reality than even the tragic events in Haiti.

In my humble opinion, there is only one thing holding us back from the next stage of our evolution, and that is the completely outdated economic model that enslaves most of the planet for the sake of a few - and I include myself in that and anyone is the first world.

The greatest tragedy that faces us today is the fact that the most educated people on the planet, who have been given so much and who live better than the kings and queens of the past, are so completely narcissistic and selfish that we cant see beyond our own tiny world of self interest to realise that preserving our way of life is hurting so many. We must each take personal responsibility for our world.

We must deal with the fundamentals and think strategically about the long term survival of humankind. the latest global banking/financial crisis shows us that politics, which is supposed to be about leadership, is nothing more than a self serving tool of vested interest, that perfectly mirrors our own selfish mindset.

We each must give up our separate interests and realise that by surrendering to the greater good all our lives would be enriched exponentially in so many ways.

Sorry for the rant but Stephen's article inspired me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Maebh

This post has been deleted.

Alexandr Solzhenitsyn is not the be-all and end-all. He's one view, of a situation which was extreme, and while he was obviously a great thinker and writer and the world is worse off for losing him he's not always the counter-argument to the idea of a group being more important than the individual.

Didn't read the article, just swinging by, and while I agree that reading Solzhenitsyn is certainly of benefit, I do think that certain ideals can be used, transformed, changed to suit a changing society, and integrated while learning from the mistakes of the past.

Advertisement