Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BCD Recommendations?

• 25-01-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

BCD Recommendations please?

I know there's a million models, but I need a new one for 2 or 3 times yearly sport diving.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

Andy.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

I've used a few, Scubapro & Mares (Nothing wrong with them TBF) but IMHO the best you can buy is the AP Valves Buddy either Commando or Explorer....bulletproof & will last you a lifetime. Ask someone who is diving a long time. Perhaps you will dive alot more than 2-3 times per year!

http://www.apvalves.com/uk/products/bc/commando/index.html

Pricing here from Deep Blue;

http://www.deepbluedive.com/department/bcds-wings/buddy/product/buddy-commando/428578

& here from Aquaholics (Free delivery in Ireland);

https://ssl.utvinternet.com/aquaholics/moreDetail.asp?productID=1265

Benny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 wrecks1971

If your not diving often maybe you could buy second hand try Divegear.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Thanks Benny - I often seem to have probs staying face down in BCDs I've hired - I assume one with rear inflation will help this.

How does the Buddy perform in this respect?

Andy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

You may be using too much weight, I suggest having a look at that first. If you too heavily weighted it doesent matter what BC you use your 'trim' in the water will be incorrect.

Most BCs(incl Buddys) have rear deflation anyway(i assume you mean that!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Also you could check where you are placing the weights on your weight belt.

• Advertisement

OK on the weights, yea I think I need to place them a lottle towards the front rather thsn the back.

I meant that some BCDs seem to have more bladder at the back than the sides.

Thanks for the advice.

Now I still need to borrow a cylinder of air to test my gear within the next 3 weeks!

Andy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

A wing BCD may help keep you more face down in the water, but all too often (as pointed out by Peace) it is your weights are the problem.

Also a wing can be a bit tricky on the surface when inflated as it tends to push you into a face down position on the surface, If you are used to it, its not a biggie but its not something I'd recommend for those who are new to diving (I don't know whether you are new though!!)

I reckon a lower end scuba pro model or something similar would be best. Around the 250-300 euro mark. There used to be a glide 500 (don't know if they still make em) or its equivalent would be my recommendation.

IMO the likes of the buddy commando's and those style of jackets (not just AP valves products but all the manufacturers) which would be "high end" jackets have too many bells and whistles on them, and imo you end up not being able to find or reach any of the pockets or gadgets that you are paying all the extra for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lou f

just get one that is a proper fit. that is the cause to most of the problems.

Not new to diving, I've been qualified 14 years, but I've only dived while away (although some good ones - Cuba and Egypt being the best).

I'm off on a liveaboard off Egypt next month so just getting my gear together, and realised that my old BCD is too small now!

Thanks for the advice!

Andy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

alinton wrote: »
    Not new to diving, I've been qualified 14 years, but I've only dived while away (although some good ones - Cuba and Egypt being the best).

I'm off on a liveaboard off Egypt next month so just getting my gear together, and realised that my old BCD is too small now!

Thanks for the advice!

Andy.

If it's just for warm water diving every now and then, I reckon my SeaQuest Passport is just the job.

See this post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62229857&postcount=12

• Advertisement

Just looked at the SeaQuest-Pro-QD-i3.

Looks like a great piece of kit!

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

i've been looking at the pro qd i3 for the last 6 months or so.

read a lot of positive reviews and some which were quick to shoot it down without trying it out.

It's been around for a while and at the moment i'm thinking of buying it in from the uk. Works out 150 cheaper that anywhere else i've seen.

And even if you don't like the idea of the i3 you can always add a hose, like the aqualung airsource 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 galloway.jimmy@

Hi I bought a new BCD to day from Great out Doors its a Scubapro one cost € 219 I thought it is great value has a couple of dump valves and looks the business so you dont have to spend a fortune fits very well tried it on with a Cylinder attached I am looking forward to going back for my Regs very helpful don't know the chaps name but got what I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 stiophan

I have the Seaquest Pro QD. Its an integrated BCD so weights are in pouches. If its for infrequent use I would avoid this as you need to add the weights in yourself at the dive site/boat and it also adds to the weight of the BCD and means one more item to fail or lose. I have one as I dive regularly in Ireland and not going to upgrade yet!
    I would recommend the lightweight ones that reduce your airline baggage weight as much as possible. These are getting very popular now considering more of us are bringing camera gear for scuba photo and always more kit :p
    They are mostly identical to the standard ones but with less rings for clipping stuff direct and with less lifting power so you cannot raise the Titanic with them or if your tired overweight buddy needs a lift to the surface.

I've ordered a Seaquest Pro QD with i3. Really looking forward to trying it!

A.

Advertisement