Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeding Straw

• 25-01-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was thinking of feeding straw to calves this year. What is the best type of straw to feed, oaten, wheaten etc. I would also use if for bedding under other cattle.
    Thanks
    kfk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

kfk wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was thinking of feeding straw to calves this year. What is the best type of straw to feed, oaten, wheaten etc. I would also use if for bedding under other cattle.
    Thanks
    kfk

i read an article in the journal last week which said its better to feed suck calves straw instead of hay , i think it recomended barley straw

as for bedding , barley all the way IMO , wheaten is no use anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i read an article in the journal last week which said its better to feed suck calves straw instead of hay , i think it recomended barley straw

Thanks
    I have fed hay in the past but I heard of good results feeding straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

kfk wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I What is the best type of straw to feed, oaten, wheaten etc.
    Thanks
    kfk

we always use oaten or barley, straw is hard found here so we use which ever is the the best quality, we are feeding 2 pens of bulls this year and now they are on meal and straw only , more than pleased with their performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dairygene

They say a calves rumen develops better from eating straw more than hay, it mostly barley we feed and only barley if i could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

irishh_bob wrote: »

When calves are young, Barley straw is better than all other types of feed as it developes the rumen better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement