Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wirless Networks Detected But None Listed

Options
  • 25-01-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I'm having an annoying issue with a PC atm.

When I enable the wireless connection i see the balloon pop up telling me that wireless networks have been detected but then when I go into the windows wireless network manager it's telling me that there are no wireless networks available.

I can confirm this is not an issue with the wireless card or router, all necessary services (as far as I'm aware are enabled).

I did a quick test and disabled network security and selected the option to automatically connect to any non preferred networks and it connected fine but it still stated there were no networks.

:confused:

I've done a fair bit of googling and I can't find any definitve solution to this issue.

Anyone have any ideas or is it time to reinstall windows?

Thanks

Samba

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

You probably thought of this but check if there's a manual wireless button on the PC/laptop. I seem to recall having this issue with a laptop that had everything enabled but the button was in off mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 buttersbrady

Try changing the wireless channel your router brodcasts on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is it an old pc? Has the wireless card ever workd? Are you sure the wireless router is broadcasting the name of the network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Thanks the replies this is really starting to bug me.

I've tested the USB card on other machines and I've tried a different one on the PC in question and it brings up the same problem.

Everything hardware related is functioning and settings are fine.

PC is nearly 2 years old running XP and running perfectly other than this issue.

No wireless switches unfortunately, I have two networks broadcasting on different channels.

Really at a loss on this one but I'm guessing that XP may be the culprit.

I've gone through my services list and everything I need is started and running.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Samba wrote: »
    Thanks the replies this is really starting to bug me.

I've tested the USB card on other machines and I've tried a different one on the PC in question and it brings up the same problem.

Everything hardware related is functioning and settings are fine.

PC is nearly 2 years old running XP and running perfectly other than this issue.

No wireless switches unfortunately, I have two networks broadcasting on different channels.

Really at a loss on this one but I'm guessing that XP may be the culprit.

I've gone through my services list and everything I need is started and running.

Are you sure that you are not making things too complicated for your poor wireless card:)

If you have two networks running does that mean you have a complicated set up with two networks from the same router on two seperate bands?

Is the rouiter an 'n' one by any chance?

Why not simplify things and just broadcast one network on channel 1 with no security and make sure its on 'g'. Make sure the router is set to broadcast the name of the network i.e. th at it is not closed as they sometimes put it.

Can you borrow a laptop or even a phone with wi fi to see they can pick up the networks?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Are you sure that you are not making things too complicated for your poor wireless card:)

If you have two networks running does that mean you have a complicated set up with two networks from the same router on two seperate bands?

Is the rouiter an 'n' one by any chance?

Why not simplify things and just broadcast one network on channel 1 with no security and make sure its on 'g'. Make sure the router is set to broadcast the name of the network i.e. th at it is not closed as they sometimes put it.

Can you borrow a laptop or even a phone with wi fi to see they can pick up the networks?

Hehe

I'm between switching BB providers atm so i've got two routers, I can detect both networks fine from this PC and the laptop.

My main PC, laptop and XBOX are all detecting both networks no problem and working perfectly fine.

I've tested out switching one on/off

:/

Well Service Pack 3 just sorted out the issue!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, now I can connect to my eircom network currently running worse than a single ISDN line!

/off to the BB forum to rant

Advertisement