Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

fluke wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Why so serious?

why so presumptuous? :p

anyone any guesses who the announcement will be??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The full list of bands in today’s announcement is as follows:

• Slash
    • The Used
    • The Damned Things
    • Atreyu
    • Cancer Bats
    • BREED77
    • Sweethead
    • Porcupine Tree
    • No Americana
    • Senser
    • Halestorm
    • Nonpoint
    • As I Lay Dying
    • Flyleaf
    • White Wizzard
    • Zebrahead
    • Rock Sugar
    • Michael Monroe
    • Holy Grail
    • Straight Lines
    • Tiger Please
    • Revoker
    • Young Guns
    • Tyketto
    • Year Long Disaster
    • Die Apokalyptischen Reiter
    • Enuff Z’Nuff
    • Panic Cell
    • Glamour Of The Kill
    • Sybreed

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Midnight organ

Goddamn it!!!!
    The used,as i lay dying and cancer bats are the only ones for me outta that list....still,going to be amazing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Woah.

I'd be interested in the used, the damned things, glamour of the ki, cancer bats, as I lay dying...and probaly a few more from that list.

This is tempting....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Porcupine Tree....now I wanna go again. Fest now has my two fav people in music...hmmm!

Check these guys out who were added to the lineup:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Layne

Rock Sugar rock!! Kinda!! In an X-factor kinda way!!
    Surely there will be a few more additions to Fridays main stage, need something to keep me away from the bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭themacman

Does anyone know when the next announcement is? I cant find it on the site.

Anyone on the fence about this one should go, it's a fantastic festival that I would attend even with a mediocre lineup.

To the person asking about the price of beer - I cant remember exactly but it wasn't extortionate. Cans are also available in the village and campsites for something like 4 for 5pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

It's next week. Anyone here going? I'm partially intending on going, it all just depends on whether or not I got a friend going with me. :/ Still haven't got a ticket, but that's not a problem just yet thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

I'll be there! Not the best line up in the world (for me), but will be fun. Still need to figure out my 5 man tent though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm not the best lineup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Cant freaking wait for this mothertrucker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

fyi, they've updated the line up page with times so people can make plans now: http://www.downloadfestival.co.uk/lineup/index.aspx
    AC/DC seem to be the only band that will have no clashes whatsoever with the rest of the stages all finishing by 20:30 when they come on.

Really wish i was going to this now but the funds won't allow it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Midnight organ

AAAAAA so close!!!! :)
    Words cannot describe how excited i am that killswitch replaced wolfmother!
    their set last year was pretty damn amazing,bring it awwwwnnnn!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Been checking out the timetable. Clashes aren't too bad. Worst is definitely Aerosmith and Suicidal Tendencies. Could find myself tempted to catch a bit of ST in between Aerosmith.

And I would have liked to have seen Volbeat, 3 Inches of Blood, Dillinger Escape Plan and Porcupine Tree, but they all clash with acts on the main stage. Other than that, all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

First Donington i've missed for a good few years.

a LOT of bad press coming out for AC/DC from some of the punters who went.

There performance was awesome BUT it's the demands that is pissing people off.

They demanded that they could use there own stage, and that while they played NOBODY else could play on other stages.

Officially the AC/DC gig was nothing to do with Download 2010, it was a totally seperate gig.

The name AC/DC was not to appear on any Download merchandise, to include t-shirts, programmes, timing lanyards!!!!

Sure leaves a foul taste in the mouth, Since the start of the Monsters of Rock back in 1980 not one band has demanded all this, especially there own stage!! The stage supplied by Donington has been good enough for every other band to have played there, guess not DC

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Been checking out the timetable. Clashes aren't too bad. Worst is definitely Aerosmith and Suicidal Tendencies. Could find myself tempted to catch a bit of ST in between Aerosmith.

And I would have liked to have seen Volbeat, 3 Inches of Blood, Dillinger Escape Plan and Porcupine Tree, but they all clash with acts on the main stage. Other than that, all good.

Not even close for me!

yeahhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Seen Suicidal years ago on the 'Join the Army' tour, what a fcukin night that was, i think DRI supported them, dam it was messy

What a weekend. Its such a downer having to sit in front of a computer screen today.

PROS:
    Slash
    Saxon
    AC/DC
    RATM
    I didnt see one bit of trouble all weekend (although im sure some things did happen)

CONS:
    The rain soaked my tent on Sunday and i had one set of dry clothes for coming home so i couldnt get to see anything after Billy Idol :mad:
    Missing Airbourne and Steel Panther
    Them Crooked Vultures
    Thunderstruck being out of tune and some of AC/DC's songs at the start were a bit dodge
    The walk from the campsite to the arena
    not being able to bring water into the arena

All in all great freakin weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Pauleta wrote: »
    CONS:
    Them Crooked Vultures

What happened?

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    What happened?

I just thought they were pants. It was like a few lads just got together to do a jam session. Hardly mainstage material.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Layne

What a weekend. Its such a downer having to sit in front of a computer screen today.

PROS:
    Slash
    Saxon
    AC/DC
    RATM
    I didnt see one bit of trouble all weekend (although im sure some things did happen)

All in all great freakin weekend

I have to agree with you,
    Saxon were great,
    Slash amazin (Myles Kennedy has a great voice and presence),
    5 Finger Death Punch were savage (security must love the lead singer!), Cinderella were the surprise of the weekend for me, really good.
    As for not seeing any trouble there were mad scraps takin place behind me during ACDC, nobody was safe.
    Oh and if I never see another Jagermeister again I'll die a happy man, TNT for the brain!!

Absolutely brilliant weekend. Being my first Download I really enjoyed the festival. I think I criticized in another thread the short set times for many of the acts (compared to say, Graspop, where bands play for at least 40 minutes) but the short set times and turn around in fact worked really well. Gives you a good taster while having more acts on the bill.

The weather was fantastic and sunny for the whole weekend until we got a solid four hour period of rain on Sunday afternoon. Missed Motorhead and ST in the end. :( Thankfully it all cleared up for Aerosmith, who were awesome. AC/DC and Rage were even better.

Drinking Tuborg out of a paper cup was a bit galling at first, but they did have a Guinness bar (served in a plastic cup ;)) in one area of the arena. Guinness is a nice festival beverage, haven't had it at one since the Witnness days. Cup collecting initiative was deadly, raised a bit of beer money from that.

There was one major **** thing about the festival, and that was the distance everything was from everything. The campsite (when you got to all the tents) was a solid half hour walk from all the music. The stages in the arena were unnecessarily spread out, and the time spent walking was made longer by having dumb barriers and stalls meaning you had to make a detour to get to where you wanted to go. There did seem to be as much money grubbing as possible as there was a huge amount of food stalls, most selling the exact same food.

Was slightly concerned about security after hearing of tent burning, etc. from UK festivals but didn't witness such shenanigans. Good buzz about the place and people were sound from my experience.

scudzilla wrote: »
    a LOT of bad press coming out for AC/DC from some of the punters who went.

There performance was awesome BUT it's the demands that is pissing people off.

They demanded that they could use there own stage, and that while they played NOBODY else could play on other stages.

Officially the AC/DC gig was nothing to do with Download 2010, it was a totally seperate gig.

The name AC/DC was not to appear on any Download merchandise, to include t-shirts, programmes, timing lanyards!!!!

I noticed that, was really odd. AC/DC did not appear on any of the Download t-shirts so it appears as Them Crooked Vultures were the headliners for the Friday. :rolleyes: And I couldn't see why they were unable to adapt the main stage for AC/DC, it looked like the whole set up (lights, props, speakers, etc.) was ready by the time bands started playing the main stage.

So on Friday it was basically Download plus AC/DC gig. Didn't matter to me that no other acts were playing at the same time cos AC/DC were one of the acts I really wanted to see. Looks like they have an ego thing of being too big to play festivals.
    Not even close for me!

Yea, ST were one of the highlights last year at Graspop and I really wanted to see them again. With the weather it would have been a struggle to make it to the tent where they were playing. Hopefully they'll play a headline gig here sometime, last time they played Dublin was like 2002 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I just thought they were pants. It was like a few lads just got together to do a jam session. Hardly mainstage material.

I seen them headline the second stage at Rock Am Ring on the Sunday and they really impressed me, I liked that it seemed like they were jamming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Layne wrote: »
    Cinderella were the surprise of the weekend for me, really good.

I would love to see Cinderella. What was Tommy Keifer's voice like?
    Looking forward to seeing Suicidal next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sarah44

Any one see this band We Are The Fallen in Download?
    The lead singer is an Irish Girl from Ballinteer Called Carly Smithson.
    She is really good.
    They have an album out at the moment and are gone back to tour the states .
    Go Carly!!!
    Keepin it Irish...
    114689588-c98f4c4f770f7eb0b1294f347.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I'm gonna miss something here as there was so many but I'll have a stab at it; highlights of the weekend for me were (in no particular order after Y&T): Y&T, Slash, Cinderella, White Wizzard, 3 Inches of Blood, Five Finger Death Punch and Saxon.

Brilliant atmosphere about the place, meeting up with old friends and making new friends.

Areas I'm gonna suggest for improvement next year are: more urinals, the route the Derby Shuttle Bus takes going back into Derby goes past the main entrance and gets stuck in the traffic (but great service non the less), and any announcments and signage regarding exiting the arena should not just be weighted towards campers as there are plenty heading back to car parks and hotels

Roll on Download 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Are you for serious? TCV were One of the best bands of the weekend. Dave Grohl back where he belongs, behind the kit.

Other highlights included : Deftones(spot on this time), rage, STP, Hell Yeah, gave it socks for an 11am slot. FDP were decent, LOG were decent,SLASH was very good, great start to the day and stone sour did rock out to pretty much end it alright.

Did check out Taylor Hawkins band also, sounded promising

CONS:
    Motorhead(hearing ace of spades for an hour gets a bit boring). As Lemmy said 'Were Motorhead and we play rock n roll' - ya more like complete bollix!

Megadeth - Meh

Campsite walk!

Alot more prople than last year, id go with too much to be fair, they shud stick with the 70k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement