Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Direct renewal woes.

Options
  • 25-01-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

Ive had a motorcycle insurance policy with Quinn-Direct for the past year.

it expired on the 8th of december but a month or so before this i got a quote online for my second year and it came to around €500 euro.

ok so far.

I had planned to let it lapse into the new year but then i got a renewal notice which said my renewal rate would be 270 euro so i rang them and asked them how long was the renewal valid for(and got a quote for a larger bike which came to 390 euro), i think 1 year but im not sure but I remember saying at the time, oh thats grand sure ill insure it in the spring and start riding again.

SO today i called them up looking to get insured on the original bike quoted for renewal and they want 500 euro off me again.(or 800 for the bigger bike) I explained how i had gotten the letter and been told it would still be valid but she said that was the best they could do.

Am I SOL here or should i be expected to pay full whack for insurance even though i have it in writing that I will get it for less

I rang aon bikecare and got a quote on the same machine for 530 euro but it offers more to me than quinn does so ill be going to them if I have to pay quinn the full whack.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

have you tried sending a copy of the letter to quinn or seeing if they have a record of it on their system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

no it was only today i tried getting it, im worried they will get away with not honouring it as it is technically a brand new policy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Insurance quotes are normally contingent on you being continuously insured. Since you allowed your policy to lapse in December, that may effect your no claims bonus, which effects your quote.

Now, it really all depends on what exactly Quinn said in their written quotation. Was this specifically for a renewal, without any lapsed period, or was it a new quote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

my no claims is valid which they are accepting

the letter is titled: Re:Motorcycle Renewal notice

then the main body of the letter goes like this
    Dear Mr Weeder
    Thank you for being a valued customer of QUINN-direct Insurance over the past year. We are pelased to invite you to renew your policy with us at an annual premium of €278.10 inclusive of statutory charges.

then there is an advert
    then a "paying for your renewal section" with a payment deadline and such
    at the bottom of this it says "If payment is not recieved , this policy will expire effective of your renewal date above."

This leads me to believe i am screwed as effectively my other policy ended and i have to take out a new one even though the person on the phone back in december assured me it was not the case :mad:

the last section of the letter is "renewal information" and is simply just stating you must read all the T&C's and inform of any changes such as penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

sometimes the small print states that a quote is only valid for 30 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Sorry mate. You have no recourse here. A written quote is only valid for 30 days max. Insurance companies rates change from month to month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

As above insurance quotes only last for one month.

I remember speakign to an insurance company about it before, when trying to get insurance for my brother who had just started driving, basically they said there is a certain amount they are allocated to deduct in any one moneth, say each rep has 3k to knock off when they see fit, so they would generally use this for return customers who are considering going elsewhere or customers who say that it is just a little bit out of their reach. At the time we were recommended to call at the beginning of the month, when they have more to play around with, as by the end of the month it is generally used up.

That was about 4 years ago but still, on the off chance I'd try again next week if I was you and see what happens then, but remember to be nice as they choose who they discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you let the previous insurance lapse you are no longer " a valued customer". Most Insurance companies also apply a loyalty bonus which I'd imagine you would no longer be entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

weeder wrote: »
    This leads me to believe i am screwed as effectively my other policy ended and i have to take out a new one even though the person on the phone back in december assured me it was not the case :mad:

I would say you're right. Letting the old policy lapse means it's no longer a renewal, and that quote is now invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

jor el wrote: »
    Letting the old policy lapse means it's no longer a renewal, and that quote is now invalid.

yup, your renewal quote was valid for 10 days. A new quote is valid for 40 days. New quotes are generally more expensive then renewals especially now as insurance rates have gone up alot

• Advertisement
Advertisement