Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Burnaby

Options
  • 25-01-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Why is it that the Burnaby prompts such a strong reaction from people, especially the mods? Granted, we're blow-ins (only been in gs for a year) and aren't exactly regulars but whenever we've gone, we've liked it. The atmosphere was great for the match last sat.

Any chance people will be able to respond without being banned by the mod?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Why is it that the Burnaby prompts such a strong reaction from people, especially the mods? Granted, we're blow-ins (only been in gs for a year) and aren't exactly regulars but whenever we've gone, we've liked it. The atmosphere was great for the match last sat.

Any chance people will be able to respond without being banned by the mod?

Because certain long term staff members have a habit of causing offence to customers.
    Thats as far as I will go, I'd imagine the mods come down hard on it because it gets a regular strong reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Because certain long term staff members have a habit of causing offence to customers.
    Thats as far as I will go, I'd imagine the mods come down hard on it because it gets a regular strong reaction.

Yes, that has been my experience in that establishment too. I wonder why the proprietors condone it? It can`t have escaped their attention this long, eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Clodagh84 wrote: »
    Yes, that has been my experience in that establishment too. I wonder why the proprietors condone it? It can`t have escaped their attention this long, eh? :rolleyes:

Same here... Will never set foot in the kip again..

Joliegood, go to bed if you're tired..

Clodagh84 wrote: »

Having worked for them, both in the Burnaby and another of their establishments, I could hazard a guess.
    However the mods don't appreciate burnaby bashing, and I'm not sure its helping anything/anyone.

Bottom line is if you like it there, go there.
    I have a friend who works there so Im happy enough to see them busy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Wesh Wizard, this topic has been done to death at this stage and has certainly not changed anything for the better.Hence my brief comment. If you see some of my previous posts, I am not a major fan of the place either. In saying that though, there are certainly some very good and polite staff there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Agreed.

Boards.ie are liable for what you post.
    So posts/threads publicly bashing a specific organisation will end up edited, locked and/or deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

What are MOD's?

I go to the Burno in spite of the elderly rude staff. The younger staff are very pleasant. However if the greystones inn is any good or that pub in charlesland ever opens I'm out if there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

conlof wrote: »
    What are MOD's?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

i see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I have been going to the Burnaby since I was 18, (1996) when it was the "old skool" Burnaby.... anyone remember it??? I drink there all the time and I love it.....

However!!!!

With the freedom of speech act, I can say what I want as long as I use "In My Opinion"

In my opinion, senior barstaff need to go on a serious people skills course, grow up and take a leaf out of thr floor staff's book; who are great and are some of the nicest people I have met!

Mods, please do not edit!

I have been going to the Burnaby since I was 18, (1996) when it was the "old skool" Burnaby.... anyone remember it??? I drink there all the time and I love it.....

It was a horrible kip, the staff had no respect for the place and the customers had less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It was a horrible kip

yeah, but it was our kip

this thread is going nowhere - clearly some people don't like the Burnaby and its management, but we already knew that, it's been said many times before on the other pub threads.

Maybe I should merge them all into one big thread marked "bitch about Greystones' pubs here..."

loyatemu wrote: »
    yeah, but it was our kip

Wasn't mine.
    Stank of a lack of self respect.
    Wasn't the only kip in greystones, but it was the only one that the customers ripped apart themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 doylerd

Sunday evening gone, last round of the US Masters at Augusta, Charl Schwartzel is teeing off on the 17th and.....the manager (I won't say his name as you all know who he is) turfs everyone out.

Staggering.

Never. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

In the 90s before it was done up, it was a bit of a kip but the atmosphere was great and pulled the young crowd in Greystones. It was an excellent pub, Charlie Hanna was one of the barman and he was a lovely chap. Always welcoming and was good at telling the rather excited young folk to chill out in a nice way. He got respect for that.
    Since it's done up, it looks nice but lacks atmosphere due to lack of music and lack of welcome. The young guys and girls doing bar work and working the lounge are all grand but the older barmen that i shall not name need a reality check.
    For me, its somewhere to stop in for a quick pint meeting someone and head off. If there was more atmosphere and possibly a band \ entertainment (shock horror!!:eek: i would probably stay.

All that aside on a sunny day the beer garden is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

In the 90s before it was done up, it was a bit of a kip but the atmosphere was great and pulled the young crowd in Greystones. It was an excellent pub, Charlie Hanna was one of the barman and he was a lovely chap. Always welcoming and was good at telling the rather excited young folk to chill out in a nice way. He got respect for that.
    Since it's done up, it looks nice but lacks atmosphere due to lack of music and lack of welcome. The young guys and girls doing bar work and working the lounge are all grand but the older barmen that i shall not name need a reality check.
    For me, its somewhere to stop in for a quick pint meeting someone and head off. If there was more atmosphere and possibly a band \ entertainment (shock horror!!:eek: i would probably stay.

All that aside on a sunny day the beer garden is excellent.

Totally agree... I used to go there a lot before Lautrex... Loved all the dividers as everyone had their own little area. it was a bit grubby but it served its purpose, young crowd, good music, friendly barstaff and GREAT atmosphere.

On a seperate note, anyone remember the pub "Heros" - Twas beside the La Touche hotel.... now that was a great pub!! :D

doylerd wrote: »
    Sunday evening gone, last round of the US Masters at Augusta, Charl Schwartzel is teeing off on the 17th and.....the manager (I won't say his name as you all know who he is) turfs everyone out.

Staggering.

Never. Again.
    What time was this?

What time was this?

12 I guess, or shortly before

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

doylerd wrote: »
    12 I guess, or shortly before

in fairness, they'd be at risk of a serious fine if they were caught serving after-hours (closing time on Sundays is 2330).

This is not the Aran Islands and the Burnaby is not a small back-street pub - the gardai are up and down the main street all the time and they'd spot it immediately.

• Advertisement

in fairness, they'd be at risk of a serious fine if they were caught serving after-hours (closing time on Sundays is 2330).

This is not the Aran Islands and the Burnaby is not a small back-street pub - the gardai are up and down the main street all the time and they'd spot it immediately.

True, but they'd stopped serving long before, and it'd have to be a pretty unreasonable Garda to not let them show the end of the golf. We had no problems in city centre pubs last year for the us open, and that went on well past midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I never quite worked out what time they shut cos i always got fairs passing there all times of the night/morning. They used to complain about us parked up the side of their pub even though we were the ones driving their customers home... very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

is it 23:00 or 23:30 when closing time is on a Sunday?...I can't remember. At the end of it all, drinking up time is 30mins after, so with that you'll be turfed out of any pub.

By the way, I've been to Inishmore plenty of times and the Gards, well Garda, singular, is just as strict.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement