Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using CFL bulbs with a dimmer

Options
  • 25-01-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

I replaced a normal bulb with a CFL on a dimmer (I know i shouldnt) it seemed to work fine. So whats the disadvantage with doing this? Do they not last as long?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

they do work but from experience it isnt good for them because they are designed to work on 230v so electronics dont really like it. i have tried the "dimmable" models to not much avail. even the dimmers they say are designed for dimming cfls have the same effect. instead of dimming steadily they seem to jump down in stages

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Your cfl will only work effectively, as you know by now, with the dimmer turned up all the way, this shouldn't affect the life of the bulb at all, but the dimming function is redundant.
    As maz says even cfl designed to dim don't do it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Your cfl will only work effectively, as you know by now, with the dimmer turned up all the way, this shouldn't affect the life of the bulb at all, but the dimming function is redundant.
    As maz says even cfl designed to dim don't do it very well.

Well it still does dim, but its not very smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

irishguy wrote: »
    Well it still does dim, but its not very smooth.

When I say effectively I mean a dimming without a constant flickering as with your cfl on the dimmer switch, you couldn't sit watching tv with a cfl flickering on a dimmer could you?
    Not being smart just clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

When I say effectively I mean a dimming without a constant flickering as with your cfl on the dimmer switch, you couldn't sit watching tv with a cfl flickering on a dimmer could you?
    Not being smart just clarifying.

Well it only flickers when its turned down. You can dim it down a bit without it flickering. I need to take out the dimmers really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I need to take out the dimmers really

Are they not the type that you can leave them full on and just push em on and off like a plain light swtich would save replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Well it only flickers when its turned down. You can dim it down a bit without it flickering. I need to take out the dimmers really

That's what I did, just replaced the switches with normal rocker type units, people kept twisting the the dimmer unit and moaning about how it did not work regardless of how many times i explained to them not to and that it was damaging the lamp and it need not be added to the things to do list.

By poeple I mean my wife.

Advertisement