Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3500 kg

Options
  • 25-01-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

hi all:D

just spotted a beaut of a camper at the correct price.
    van weighs 3500kg

can i drive this on ordinary car licence?
    fingers crossed.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

An ordinary B licence allows you to drive vehicles with a "design gross vehicle weight" up to 3500 kg.

If you're a bit grey around the temples your B licence may even cover you up to 7.5 tons (check)

The van however could weigh 3.5 tons on the scales but have a licenced weight of (for example) 4.2 tons (or more) ...and then you couldn't legally drive it

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭vinniem

"If you're a bit grey around the temples your B licence may even cover you up to 7.5 tons (check)"

Peasant, Think in UK if you got lic before 1997 you were entitled to drive up to 7,500kg, not sure how that would work when driving camper in other countries? Do you think this rule might apply here also?

To my understanding, any valid EU issued licence is valid in any other EU country.

So if you have an EU licence in class B that covers you up to 7.5 tons, it should also do so here

What criteria do you know that could possibly cover up to 7.5 ton on a B licence? Would be interested to know, cause could save me an awfull lot of hassle, thanks

I'm not sure, tbh

All I know is that my German B licence (when acquired in 1983) did cover me up to 7.5 tons.

I was assuming that this might have been the same for older Irish (and other EU) licences.

To my knowledge all EU B licences today only go up to 3.5 tons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

Just wondering is this weight to licence thing heavily enforced.
    Am studying my hgv course as we text:).

What would the discrepency be half a tonne.
    between 3500 and 4000 kg.

I would like to think half a tonne at most wouldnt make a huge difference to our gardai.

I know that this kind of things gets very strictly enforced on the continent.
    (France, Spain and Switzerland in particular)

You can get massive fines and all other sorts of trouble for driving without a licence (because that's what you're doing in fact)

But even if your vehicle is simply overloaded it does get very expensive, never mind the hassle of having to leave some passengers (or some of your belongings) by the side of the road :pac:

Then there would also be scary insurance implications if you were found driving without a licence or an overloaded vehicle and had an accident.

Not an issue to be taken lightly, this (pardon the pun) and a C or C1 licence will be much cheaper in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

its on with the hgv course so and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

camper guy wrote: »
    its on with the hgv course so and thanks

Check with your local licencing authority, you may have the C1 category already. I found out after I did the C test that I already had C1 as I had the licence before 1997 (i think). Could have saved myself a lot of money if I knew this but any information is not readily available in this country.

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

When I got my license (back in the 80's) I was automatically given the C1 too, ie up to 7500kg.
    However when I next went to renew my license I had to "opt in" for the C1 renewal. This simply meant I had to go off and get a doctors certificate to say I was fit to drive the larger vehicle.
    I nearly did'nt bother due to the extra hassle but am glad now that I did.
    If you are covered for C1 it will be marked on your license.

• Advertisement

Check with your local licencing authority, you may have the C1 category already. I found out after I did the C test that I already had C1 as I had the licence before 1997 (i think). Could have saved myself a lot of money if I knew this but any information is not readily available in this country.

Pat

Hi Pat, just rang my local licence office hoping they would say I have C1 as well as got lic Jan 1995, but they said no that I am not entitled to it. Thanks

peasant wrote: »
    I'm not sure, tbh

All I know is that my German B licence (when acquired in 1983) did cover me up to 7.5 tons.

I was assuming that this might have been the same for older Irish (and other EU) licences.

To my knowledge all EU B licences today only go up to 3.5 tons

Thanks Peasant

Advertisement