Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normalisation

Options
  • 25-01-2010 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Currently in college iv been given a unnormalised table and have to put it into 1NF, 2NF and 3NF. 2nd and 3rd i havent got a problem with, and not really with first, however, im having problems determining "Repeating Groups". What exactly is a repeating group?

We get handed tables that are populated with 6 or 7 lines of data. I.e A customer table with custID/name/address/dob/company/xx/xx/xx.

Iv read about it, but i would like a clear english defination if possible,

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭booyah1024

nuxxx wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Currently in college iv been given a unnormalised table and have to put it into 1NF, 2NF and 3NF. 2nd and 3rd i havent got a problem with, and not really with first, however, im having problems determining "Repeating Groups". What exactly is a repeating group?

We get handed tables that are populated with 6 or 7 lines of data. I.e A customer table with custID/name/address/dob/company/xx/xx/xx.

Iv read about it, but i would like a clear english defination if possible,

Thanks.

what are the rest of the fields. Any that you've mentioned wouldn't constitute themselves as part of a repeating group tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Hi Nuxxx,

Lets say you have an employee candidates table, and you want to track the languages a possible candidate may have.
    A candidate can have more than one language.

So repeating groups would be

candidate_id, first_name,last_name,dob, language1, language2, language3

or better, to have two tables
    candidates table
    candidate_id, first_name, last_name, dob

candidates_language table
    candidate_id
    language

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

thanks for the replies guys.

very helpful.

i`ll post up an example or two tomorrow morning and hopefully ye can have a look.:)

Advertisement