Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleeding Radiators

• 25-01-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hey hope someone can help me. Just after bleeding a radiator and waited until i got a drip of water coming out. Unfortunately water wont stop comin now. its tightened as much as possible but water flowing out....anyone any advise????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Turn it the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

thanks but that dont work either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Close the rad valves. Try reopen the vent, and re-screw again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Take it all the way out, plug the hole for a few mins (Finger, blue tac, tape over a rubber(eraser) or plug of some description.
    Check the seal on the valve (nut) that you've just taken out. Should have either a rubber or copper washer depending on how old the rads are. make sure it's not kinked or damaged and replaces it.
    Hopefully, though unlikely, you haven't cross threaded it.

Turn off the valve on the bottom of the rad to stop any more water coming through before you start!!!!

Prob have to start the draining procedure again once you have it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

If you have a new rad with double type bleed then rubber washer which seals first part of bleed could be damaged. If you've just a standard single thread bleed then it could be past its sell by date, bleed head could be worn to a point where it can no longer seal. Either way you might have to replace entire bleed with both cases.

Pick up a brass bleed key, they are pretty much the best, you've got more leverage which means less damage to bleed while opening. Those pipe type bleed key ruin bleed heads over the years.

A bleed should only be opened to a point where air / water comes out, opening bleed fully doesn't really help matters, might speed up things but not worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

just thought i'd jump in here,

i need to bleed my rad but the fuppin thingymajig wont grab onto the whatyemacallit for opening it up, any tricks or do i need to change the rad completely?

You'll have to take the thingymajig and hit it with a yokeamabob until the thingymajig is small enough to catch onto what ever is left of the whatchamacallit.

"whatchamacallit" is the correct spelling of whatyemacallit so says my spell checker?

If your having trouble with bleed key latching onto radiator bleed head a few taps of a hammer or something heavy around head of bleed key might be enough to re shape it so it grabs on.

The rad bleed might be alright, the bleed key could be spread out from use, happens a bit, if not (rad bleed worn) a few taps should do the job, you might have to hold onto that key after hammering then buy another for the other rads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

items wrote: »
    You'll have to take the thingymajig and hit it with a yokeamabob until the thingymajig is small enough to catch onto what ever is left of the whatchamacallit.

"whatchamacallit" is the correct spelling of whatyemacallit so says my spell checker?

If your having trouble with bleed key latching onto radiator bleed head a few taps of a hammer or something heavy around head of bleed key might be enough to re shape it so it grabs on.

The rad bleed might be alright, the bleed key could be spread out from use, happens a bit, if not (rad bleed worn) a few taps should do the job, you might have to hold onto that key after hammering then buy another for the other rads.

oh you're good, never feckin thought of that, i was gonna super glue the key onto the rad and leave it there! thanks a million!

oh you're good, never feckin thought of that, i was gonna super glue the key onto the rad and leave it there! thanks a million!

No bother, not to sure about gluing bleed key to bleed head, you might end up gluing the key to rad, that will only make matters worse.

Best of luck.

Advertisement