Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grave Yard Plot Owernership?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey..

just came across something interesting today. A member of my family purchased a grave plot a few years ago in Palmerstown and the person who's name it's in has died. My family member tried to get the plot put back into her name (she's next of kin) but Palmerstown said that they cant do this because the person who owns the Plot has died.. so nobody owns it now!.. and there's nothing that can be done. It's just lying there. We've a felling there is something in the clause that will give owernship back to Palmerstown after a certain number of years, thus.. allowing them to take it and sell it onto someone else for €6000

We wanted to allow the child of a family friend who has recently died to have the plot..they wanted to bury their daughter in Palmerstown but cant get a plot.. sp we offered this plot to them.. but now cant transfer it over because the person who needs to give permission has died.

This is the biggest load of **** I've ever come across in my life and just wondered if anyone has come across this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Plots can no longer purchased in advance of death here in Cork, dunno about the rest of the country. Did the deceased's estate not deal with the matter of the plot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I'm assuming there's a residuary clause in the will, whoever that is directed towards will get the plot unless dealt with in the will

This is, unless there is a clause in the original contract preventing such a transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Not being smart here but am I missing something? If the person whos name its in has died are they not already in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Try contacting the Council that is in charge of the area. They normally run graveyards and might be able to help more than the staff working at the Graveyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Not being smart here but am I missing something? If the person whos name its in has died are they not already in it?

They can bury coffins 4 deep, or 3-4 wide, could be room for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    They can bury coffins 4 deep, or 3-4 wide, could be room for more.

Yeah but unless the same person dies 4 times then there will be different peopel other than the named owner in the grave, so who ends up in the plot shouldnt really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

that person has obviously been cremated or buried in a different plot and this plot now remains in limbo without a legal owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    that person has obviously been cremated or buried in a different plot and this plot now remains in limbo without a legal owner?

Gee, I never read that into the OPs comments.

Advertisement