Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 hornet barrell length

Options
  • 25-01-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

when filling out the license application for my hornet i said i might aswell apply for a mod aswell, so if i'm allowed one on it wen my application goes through i'll have to get the barrell of it threaded, so i was thinking if i have to get it threaded i might get it shortened and recrowned aswell to improve the handling and balance of it with the moderator on it, as it stands the barrell is 580mm(just short of 23 inchs) so i'm just wondering how short could i go with the barrell before i'd substantially decreases accuracy and muzzle velocity and what moderator would suit the hornet best, preferably something light and short

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

could you not get one of those mod's that fit over the barrel ? the hornet is not a very high velocity round as is , and reducing the barrel length is going to reduce it further . the rule of thumb is 25 fps per inch of barrel removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

rowa wrote: »
    could you not get one of those mod's that fit over the barrel ? the hornet is not a very high velocity round as is , and reducing the barrel length is going to reduce it further . the rule of thumb is 25 fps per inch of barrel removed.

so put something like a t4 or a pes mod on it and leave the barrell at the 23"?

just out of interest is their anybody here who has/used a moderated hornet and what make mod was on it and did it make much sound differance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

ormondprop wrote: »
    when filling out the license application for my hornet i said i might aswell apply for a mod aswell, so if i'm allowed one on it wen my application goes through i'll have to get the barrell of it threaded, so i was thinking if i have to get it threaded i might get it shortened and recrowned aswell to improve the handling and balance of it with the moderator on it, as it stands the barrell is 580mm(just short of 23 inchs) so i'm just wondering how short could i go with the barrell before i'd substantially decreases accuracy and muzzle velocity and what moderator would suit the hornet best, preferably something light and short

No need to cut barrell on a Hornet if you get the right Moderator

found this online, anybody have any experience with them
    http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/sound_moderator_fullbore2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

found this online, anybody have any experience with them
    http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/sound_moderator_fullbore2.htm

Don't know about the hornet one but their wildcat predator T8 works great on a .223

• Advertisement

i asked around on two other sites and this was what i was told

Hi ormondprop

I would suggest a minimum of 15 inches for your Hornet as all the powder should have burnt by then

As for a moderator I would recommend a T8 AR or Predator 8 Compact and thread cut to 1/2" UNF, another that would work well would be a Northstar mod, the P8 is available from Wildcat, the others from Jackson rifles

Have fun

i rang around to get a price off a local dealer and he was very helpful and directed me towards a few gunsmiths (of course john Greene was 1) and he gave me a few prices for mods and he also recommended the northstar, just wondering where ye bought yer mods and how much ye paid if ye don't mind me asking, and roughly how much should it cost to thread and/or chop a few inchs off and recrown it, if i am shortening it i think i'll go for 19" or 20" after some advice i was given

I used a hornet for years and there is no way I would chop the barrel down to 15":eek::eek::eek:

remember too your resale value , people will be very wary of buying a rifle with such a sort (15") barrel .

ya i thought that was a bit over the top but i reckon i should be fine at about 19" or 20", did u ever stick a mod on your hornet fishslapped

Had a husher on it (as I said it was a few years back) and it was fine, good sound moderation , but mods have come a long way since. I didn't bother cutting the barrel and still wouldn't cut it. if I were to cut it I think 20" would be the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I had a T4 on my Ruger hornet I didnt use it so got rid, BTW am I right in thinking because its a centerfire moderator the application needs to be made to a chief super???

Look theres little or no bang out of it compared to a 223 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I had a T4 on my Ruger hornet I didnt use it so got rid, BTW am I right in thinking because its a centerfire moderator the application needs to be made to a chief super???

Look theres little or no bang out of it compared to a 223 etc

No, centrefire mods were removed from the restricted list, in one of the better recent decisions.

i spoke to a few dealers and most of them reckoned i was better off cutting my losses and get rid of the hornet altogether and buying a .223 or similar calibre that comes pre threaded (although some of these dealers did seem to be only advising me to this so they could sell a rifle others seemed genuine and told me to sell my rifle privately to get the most i can for it and keep an eye out for 2nd hand guns as lads are getting rid of them with the new licensing) they just reckoned it wouldn't be worth paying to get the work done on the rifle as it wouldn't raise the value of it at all if i ever went to sell it later on and that it might be even harder to sell if i didn't get it reproofed and that would be more money lost, so they reckoned i'd be better off saving up and buy a factory threaded rifle and take what i can for my hornet so i think thats what i'll, maybe try stay off the drink a bit and hopefully in a few months i might have a nice sako with a schmidt on top:D

what do you use the rifle for ? just foxing ?

ya just foxing, but when i have the funds and time i wouldn't mind joining a range and trying my hand at target shooting in the future, i'm also finding lately that we often have to let a few foxes off when we lamp them as they are well past 200 yards and out of range for the hornet, so its looking like everything is pointing me towards an upgrade, well except for my wallet:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

i asked around on two other sites and this was what i was told

Hi ormondprop

I would suggest a minimum of 15 inches for your Hornet as all the powder should have burnt by then

Not very good advice...
    12A.—(1) Subject to subsection (2), a person who shortens the barrel of—
    (a) a shot-gun to a length of less than 61 centimetres, or
    (b) a rifle to a length of less than 50 centimetres is guilty of an offence.

and...

(7) A person who is guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment—
    (a) to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or such shorter term as the court may determine, subject to subsections (9) to (11) of this section or, where subsection (13) of this section applies, to that subsection, and
    (b) at the court’s discretion, to a fine of such amount as the court considers appropriate.

So no, would be the best answer in the circumstances.

to be fair to the person who gave me that advice he is from england and had no idea that i am irish and i would never have shortened it that much anyway as i'd imagine it would ruin the accuracy but i was thinking of shortening it to around 18" or 20" so i could have broke the law anyway as 50cm is over 19.5". thanks for showing me that.
    i thought you could get cz .22 with a 16" barrell so they are obviously illegal too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

tika t3 tactical .223 20 inch barrel and t8 mod . do your self a big favor and get your hands on one of these and never look back. i did:D:D

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    tika t3 tactical .223 20 inch barrel and t8 mod . do your self a big favor and get your hands on one of these and never look back. i did:D:D

thanks poulo6.5 i'd love a 223 but there's just something about them tikka synthetic stocks i just dont like them, but heh horses for courses, some people like synthetic and some like timber, from what i hear their hard to beat for out of the box accuracy but i'd much prefer a sako 75/85 or tikka in hunter stainless or laminate stainless, lovely looking and grand & light for lugging around the place a pound or more lighter then the tactical, i'd gladfully sacrifice a slight bit of accuracy for a lighter and easier to carry rifle

the hornet isn't that bad of a round in my humble opinion , i used one for years and never found it wanting really , and its been round for over 100 years so it must be doing something right .

• Advertisement

i spoke to a few dealers and most of them reckoned i was better off cutting my losses and get rid of the hornet altogether and buying a .223 or similar calibre that comes pre threaded (although some of these dealers did seem to be only advising me to this so they could sell a rifle others seemed genuine and told me to sell my rifle privately to get the most i can for it and keep an eye out for 2nd hand guns as lads are getting rid of them with the new licensing) they just reckoned it wouldn't be worth paying to get the work done on the rifle as it wouldn't raise the value of it at all if i ever went to sell it later on and that it might be even harder to sell if i didn't get it reproofed and that would be more money lost, so they reckoned i'd be better off saving up and buy a factory threaded rifle and take what i can for my hornet so i think thats what i'll, maybe try stay off the drink a bit and hopefully in a few months i might have a nice sako with a schmidt on top:D

I was in the same predicament a few years back. I loved the hornet but decided to change to the .223 as the ammo was cheaper, longer range, the rifle I wanted with a medium - heavy barrel(yours could be factory screw cut), wider range of ammo and could also be used for target work out to 400.(this is my limit with this round - not the rounds limit).

In the end it's your choice!

best of look with what ever you choose.

FS

thanks poulo6.5 i'd love a 223 but there's just something about them tikka synthetic stocks i just dont like them, but heh horses for courses, some people like synthetic and some like timber, from what i hear their hard to beat for out of the box accuracy but i'd much prefer a sako 75/85 or tikka in hunter stainless or laminate stainless, lovely looking and grand & light for lugging around the place a pound or more lighter then the tactical, i'd gladfully sacrifice a slight bit of accuracy for a lighter and easier to carry rifle

i agree with you there i am a big fan of the synthetic stocks, 3 of my rifles are synthetic, i think i could change your mind on them tho.

i do like your choice of rifle, all excellent, stainless is a good way to go for both looks and maintainability.

ya i prefer timber than synthetic but the one thing i really like about the tikka tactical and supervarmint is the adjustable cheek piece, good bye beartooth comb riser:D

ya i prefer timber than synthetic but the one thing i really like about the tikka tactical and supervarmint is the adjustable cheek piece, good bye beartooth comb riser:D

ya the adjustable cheek piece is a nice touch. it adds to the shoot-ability and looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

+1 for the Hornet, I have a lovelly ruger all weather laminate stock and take foxes out to 150m at night (which is a long way under a lamp) and routine crows at 200. I use hornady 35 grain v max.

A firend of mine got rid of his Tika T3 Tactical for a 22 magnum and says he has more fun out of the magnum than he ever had with he tika.

30 foxes already and 20 grey crows, 25 bunnies. He likes to walk as he lamps and he found the Tika a brute to carry around

+1 for the Hornet, I have a lovelly ruger all weather laminate stock and take foxes out to 150m at night (which is a long way under a lamp) and routine crows at 200. I use hornady 35 grain v max.

A firend of mine got rid of his Tika T3 Tactical for a 22 magnum and says he has more fun out of the magnum than he ever had with he tika.

30 foxes already and 20 grey crows, 25 bunnies. He likes to walk as he lamps and he found the Tika a brute to carry around

tactical is not the lightest but its a great gun, but with a good wide comfortable strap you should have no problem, unless your only an 8 stone weekling:rolleyes:

Advertisement