Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'The Written Word' - Irish Independent.

• 25-01-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭

Anyone happen to pick this up today?
    Just bought it a bit ago and had a read through it. Its very very helpful. Todays supplement was about Paper 1: Comprehension, Composition, Functional Writing, The 5 Genres and other tips about writing in the English exam. It went through all these very well, I can see it being a massive help.
    Theres another one tomorrow with ''Novels, poems and plays'', presumably Paper 2 stuff.
    Suggest everyone to pick it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

why dont they put it on the online website?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

i really would love to read the paper 1 but i didnt get so is there anyway to get it?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Check your local shops and ask if they have any left over. Or ring the paper, they should send you out a copy.

Must get todays one actually.:)

i tried going to local shops but they dont have any

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

There is a lady on the cover of the second supplement with very nice breasts. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Crap I forgot to get it. Anyone want to send me a complete scan? I'll trade some HL Irish notes :P

I thought the article on the word 'like' was very funny, but it did my head in trying to read it at the same time!

gemxpink wrote: »
    Crap I forgot to get it. Anyone want to send me a complete scan? I'll trade some HL Irish notes :P
    yea I want that too but i have nothing to trade :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Goddamn Independent! Sneaky feckers not putting it online.

Is it in today's paper? I went and asked shops for yesterday's paper but they all said they had sent them back. If someone has it, I'm sure alot of people here would be very appreciative if it was sent on! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Yahooaccount

It wasn't that good. Dunno why they had that martina devlin on, she can barely write and is misleading. Journalists like her give the profession a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Darn, I didn't know the 2nd one was out today. I only knew about the first one last nighta fter I went home. Hopefully I can get a photocopy of it from one of my friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Wardy92

There is a lady on the cover of the second supplement with very nice breasts. Hope this helps.
    Not great in the facial department .......suppose i still wud tho :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

I thought the article on the word 'like' was very funny, but it did my head in trying to read it at the same time!

Ha same, I couldn't read past the first few paragraphs!

Both of the supplements were excellent btw, well worth getting your hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

WHirl7 wrote: »
    Ha same, I couldn't read past the first few paragraphs!

Both of the supplements were excellent btw, well worth getting your hands on.

What'd be the best way of going about getting these supplements now??
    Only heard about em today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm going to email the independent and ask for a copy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Drop into Talbot for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I emailed them and asked for a copy. they said they would stick a copy of each in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I used this last year. Not really as a study guide though, more as a supplement to the notes I had already. The Paper 2 guide was fairly meh to be honest, but Paper 1 was really useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 WHirl7

Jay P wrote: »
    I used this last year. Not really as a study guide though, more as a supplement to the notes I had already. The Paper 2 guide was fairly meh to be honest, but Paper 1 was really useful.

Yeah, the Paper 1 guide is brilliant. I suppose the Paper 2 one can depend on whether it covers the same texts and poets you're covering, and also on whether the notes in it are better than the ones you're getting in school.

Oh and it's a pet peeve of mine when people describe something as being 'fairly meh', has the English language really come to replacing adjectives with meaningless sounds? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I found the Adrienne Rich article helpful. I find her poetry a little odd.. and I was missing for a few days while we were studing her, so it helped me and refreshed my memory a bit!! I must have a proper look at the paper 1 supplement as we have barley touched on it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eeefa

It's really good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Its a gr8 resiurce for future LC students

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidj_PM

The Wordsworth piece written by Cathy Sweeney is available here.

Advertisement