Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Coughlan in the context

Options
  • 25-01-2010 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭

Can this woman answer a question without using these 3 words. Watching the politics show last night, and every time Sean O Rourke asked a question she was able to fit in "in the context"
    Very annoying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Very annoying, especially 'in the context' of her being a T.D. Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Moved to Politics.

==========================

Many public speakers have a crutch.

Unless the phrase is used for evasion of a question, I don't see a problem so long as her message gets across.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

What about "And it's important to say....", usually followed by some waffling banality that isn't really that important at all, since waffle usually isn't.

Waffling is of course quite acceptable if employed in the task of sounding semi-interesting while chatting up that blonde fox with the large breasts. But one might be entitled to expect better from An Tanaiste, not to mention the rest of Cowen's motley crew.

She's a very poor speaker in general though, as is Cowen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

GuanYin wrote: »
    Unless the phrase is used for evasion of a question, I don't see a problem so long as her message gets across.

So what you're saying is that "in the context" of evading a question, it wouldn't be acceptable ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It's a stalling tactic to search for words, although why someone with f*ck all to say should need to search for words is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I remember reading some time ago abour some anchient pipe smoking politician who when asked a difficult question would spend many minutes filling and lighting his pile before answering it. At one time, seemingly, it was considered a great virtue, that a politician would spend time and deliberate before giving an answer to a question.
    Now we have the opposite. Politicians are expected to have answers at the tip of their tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Joe1919 wrote: »
    Now we have the opposite. Politicians are expected to have answers at the tip of their tongue.

Well in Coughlan's case she hasn't anything particularly interesting to say anyway.

And anyone remember Maura Hoctor's embarrasing episode on tv* a while back? Where she had to be (audibly) prompted by one of her advisers in the background, as she hadn't a clue what to say in reply to a question that she was asked in relation to her own department (she was, at least then anyway, a junior minister).

*I think it was primetime, but not certain

Advertisement