Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DIY Blockwork Extension

• 25-01-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hey guys. Just thought I'd add a thread to say I'm testing my DIY abilities in a build for the near future!

It's a 4.5m * 2.8m Blockwork structure that is going sit adjacent to and mirror an existing exterior building in the garden. I have a limited budget and plan on doing this myself and though friends and contacts. I have experience with a load of handywork jobs and I study engineering so I shouldn't have many technical problems. I've basic plans done out now.

It is being used for recreation/office and to record a bit of music. I have a small recording studio set up for my band etc. The new room is going to be the control/production room, with the other building as the live room. It is important to sound proof it from outside and from the other building and run cables from one to the other. I have been reading up on sound insulation etc. and I have a good understanding of whats needed. If anyone has experience, suggestions for applying these ideas would be appreciated!

Also, I need a favor from you guys... Can you keep an eye out for building sites around Dublin city. I need to salvage a lot of stuff, if possible. I'm looking for mostly roofing material, heavy doors and windows, some steel beams and obviously any unused blocks, cement, mortar and gravel as well as other handy materials.

I know it is a big project but I have time to plan it from now until roughly early summer. I'll also be working on the existing building until then. If you have anything that might be helpful, please let me know! Wish me luck!
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

i see a salvage place advertised on done deal.ie i'll see if i can fine the ad.

Advertisement