Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parthenaise bulls on dairy cows???

• 25-01-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

was just wondering if anyone had any experience of parthenaise bulls used on dairy cows and how they worked out. i ve seen some parthenaise cattle and were quite impressed by them and seeing as we have got rid of the angus bull that we used for cleaning up after ai on the home farm, i was thinking of trying a different breed, any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

http://www.parthenaise.ie/
    Going by their website they are easy calving. Look under cross breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Have a look at this;

http://www.icbf.com/services/evaluations/files/Breedpercentiles_010909.xls

It shows how the breeds compare.

Parthenaise have an average calving dificulty of 4.76%.
    Angus are 2.05% with Limousin at 5.05%. So they're around the same as Limousin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Waddy

they would may quare nice sucklers cows, they would be the rite job.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UPCS

If the appropriate parthenaise bull is used you should have no calving difficulties as a friend with a large dairy herd used the appropiate bull on 80 cows and they all calved themselves and he is very happy with the calfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

UPCS wrote: »
    If the appropriate parthenaise bull is used you should have no calving difficulties as a friend with a large dairy herd used the appropiate bull on 80 cows and they all calved themselves and he is very happy with the calfs.

What was their colour? did he get good money when he sold them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Lads, I don't know about your areas, but in the local weinling sales over the past 2 months, Parthenaise weinlings have really been performing very poorly price wise. I was in Mohill a couple of weeks ago and a guy sold out over 20 bull calves. They were at least eur 100 per head behind the equivalent weight limousins or charolais calves. There was just no buying for them. Saw similar stories in Elphin and Granard marts when I was in them at spring sales albeit in smaller numbers.

Has anyone seen a similar trend??

Based on these prices, I wouldn't be encouraged to use a Parthenaise Bull.

Farmers just weren't interested in bidding for them. The couple of dealers and export buyers had them all to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

reilig wrote: »
    Lads, I don't know about your areas, but in the local weinling sales over the past 2 months, Parthenaise weinlings have really been performing very poorly price wise. I was in Mohill a couple of weeks ago and a guy sold out over 20 bull calves. They were at least eur 100 per head behind the equivalent weight limousins or charolais calves. There was just no buying for them. Saw similar stories in Elphin and Granard marts when I was in them at spring sales albeit in smaller numbers.

Has anyone seen a similar trend??

Based on these prices, I wouldn't be encouraged to use a Parthenaise Bull.

Farmers just weren't interested in bidding for them. The couple of dealers and export buyers had them all to themselves.

I have seen a good few sold at Carnew mart. One breeder around here had some that were from belgian blue cows which were in turn from British friesian cows. The quality was excellent and the prices were way ahead of the limousins and charolais and on a par with the blue weanlings (mind you they had the belgian blue shape, probably from the mother). Haven't seen any sold as stores about here so can only comment on them at weanling stage. The plainer ones I have seen bring about the same as equivalent cattle of other continental breeds.

I must say I have seen Part/Lim cross suckler cows and am thinking of giving a few of my limousin sucklers parthenaise straws and hoping for replacements from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UPCS

Finno59 wrote: »
    What was their colour? did he get good money when he sold them?

They were black and white with some of the parthenaise characteristics, and he did, he got very good money! He was well pleased. They come and bought them off the farm.

Advertisement