Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New/SecondHand Car budget EUR 15000??

• 25-01-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello
    Looking to buy a new or secondhand car, budget 15-16,000. Car will be used for commute in Dublin and occasional weekends down the country. I want 1.4L minimum but doesn't have to be a beast on the road! 4 seater but not a nightmare to try to park. Am female but don't want a girlie mini or beetle type number. Will be hanging onto this for probably 4-5 years hence the budget to get something I hope will be decent.

I have trade Polo in that is eligible under scrappage scheme, wouldn't reckon that will get anything more than EUR 2,000.

So far have seen

2008 Merc A Class, 20000 miles
    2009 Polo Comfort, 8699 miles
    2009 Golf Trendline(slightly over budget),5282 miles

Any suggestions and recommendations are much appreciated. I am new to this car buying lark!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

are you sticking to hatchback styles??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is it 15000 plus trade/scrappage or 15000 total?

Anyway, I would look towards 2010 Mazda 3, Ford focus although new model coming, Kia proceed, Hyundai i30. 2010 megane coupe is pretty nice for the money and with renaults own deal, you can have it for under 15000 if your car is over 8 years old. That woul be my choice if I was a girl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

How about this? In budget with the trade in
    -1.6 diesel (50+ mpg)
    -€156 a year to tax it
    - 6 years warranty left on it
    - massive spec

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

http://www.carzone.ie/search/KIA/pro_ceed/PRO-CEE'/200946195844997/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Something along the lines of....
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.6-S-FS/201003196646514/advert?channel=CARS
    Perfect, small and easy to park you can get 1.6 or 1.4 and most importantly it's not a kia :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Something along the lines of....
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/1.6-S-FS/201003196646514/advert?channel=CARS
    Perfect, small and easy to park you can get 1.6 or 1.4 and most importantly it's not a kia :o

Typical BS Irish attitude right there. You should check if your neighbour bought a new BMW because you might have to get one too :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

a 06 golf for €14k doesn't sound great when new Golfs start at €18k.

Also that car probably doesn't exist given who's selling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    a 06 golf for €14k doesn't sound great when new Golfs start at €18k.

Well considering I got my '06 GTI last week for basically that price, it certainly doesn't sound great! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Typical BS Irish attitude right there. You should check if your neighbour bought a new BMW because you might have to get one too :P

I had one of these as a hire car in the UK for a few days when I was over there in December did over 400miles in the thing

Verys plastic feeling interior lots and lots of road noise even on a decent motorway. Handling was only ok. Central locking on the car I had sometimes didnt work as expected had to keep pressing the remote locking button a few times complete with the alarm going off.

+ Points was that it was economical, its a 1.6 diesel so there as good pull due to the car being relatively light. Kia are doing a 7 year warrenty as well.

I wouldnt recommend one thou. Residuals will be shocking as well.
    If you want a stylish diesel I had an Alfa Romero 159 JTD in Holland last year also. I really liked it be considerably cheaper and a lot more stylish. Bullet proof engine also and I think they do a 150bhp model :D

Alfa Romero Lusso Spec JTDM.....its a 06 thou.

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3592296#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

mickdw wrote: »
    Is it 15000 plus trade/scrappage or 15000 total?

Anyway, I would look towards 2010 Mazda 3, Ford focus although new model coming, Kia proceed, Hyundai i30. 2010 megane coupe is pretty nice for the money and with renaults own deal, you can have it for under 15000 if your car is over 8 years old. That woul be my choice if I was a girl!

Do well to get these under €15,000 - don't forget the price they advertise does not include delivery (or metallic paint) - probably add €1,500 to all ticket prices. The Megane Coupe is lovely but will be up to €25k ot the road. Focus similar (and Ford not as generous as Renault with additional trade in).

Surely be looking in Fiesta, Clio, Polo etc category for €15k with change - better value than an 08, long warranty, low road tax and a large chunk of depreciation offset.

According to post of Hot UK Deals Hyundai in UK are offering to change cars purchased under last years car purchased under scrappage scheme for payment of £500. May be wort a look at the Hyundai's here in case they repeat that act in 2011 here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I wouldnt recommend one thou. Residuals will be shocking as well.
    If you want a stylish diesel I had an Alfa Romero 159 JTD in Holland last year also. I really liked it be considerably cheaper and a lot more stylish. Bullet proof engine also and I think they do a 150bhp model :D

You think the Residuals on an Alfa will be much better than a Kia? The one in Kelly's is way overpriced considering we were offered €14,500 in November for an 08 - Tourismo spec and the 120bhp, but only 41,000KM.

thebiglad wrote: »
    Do well to get these under €15,000 - don't forget the price they advertise does not include delivery (or metallic paint) - probably add €1,500 to all ticket prices. The Megane Coupe is lovely but will be up to €25k ot the road. Focus similar (and Ford not as generous as Renault with additional trade in).

Surely be looking in Fiesta, Clio, Polo etc category for €15k with change - better value than an 08, long warranty, low road tax and a large chunk of depreciation offset.

According to post of Hot UK Deals Hyundai in UK are offering to change cars purchased under last years car purchased under scrappage scheme for payment of £500. May be wort a look at the Hyundai's here in case they repeat that act in 2011 here.

What sort of shi-ite are you spouting?

With scrappage you can get a Megane Coupe ON THE ROAD for under €15,000. I was offered one for not much more than that without scrappage.

You can get a Focus without scrappage (but good bargaining) for under €21k on the road including metallic, A/C, Alloys and Bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Not at all but kia's are so slow they're pretty much a hazard on the road + with that warrenty you'll probably end up stuck with a boring slow plasticey car for a long time. 15k buys alot of car, wouldn't be mad about BMW's :P unless it's an M3 or something (which could be got in that budget crazy tax though). I'm not one to keep up with the Jones', you spend allot of time in your car so I'd always go with something interesting, something that's a pleasure to drive, you'd pick up a good FSI for that price, not particularly the one I linked it's just the first FSI I stumbled on.

R.O.R wrote: »
    You think the Residuals on an Alfa will be much better than a Kia? The one in Kelly's is way overpriced considering we were offered €14,500 in November for an 08 - Tourismo spec and the 120bhp, but only 41,000KM.

Id rather lose money on a good looking Alfa that a Kia any day :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not at all but kia's are so slow they're pretty much a hazard on the road + with that warrenty you'll probably end up stuck with a boring slow plasticey car for a long time. 15k buys alot of car, wouldn't be mad about BMW's :P unless it's an M3 or something (which could be got in that budget crazy tax though). I'm not one to keep up with the Jones', you spend allot of time in your car so I'd always go with something interesting, something that's a pleasure to drive, you'd pick up a good FSI for that price, not particularly the one I linked it's just the first FSI I stumbled on.

Most Irish Golfs are 80bhp 1.4 litre which are anything but quick. And I just don't see how any 1.4/1.6 Golf is more interesting than a Kia Cee'd. The measure of a car is not in the quality of the dashboard plastics except maybe here on the motors forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yeah that's a different thing though. I agree 15k can get you a lot of car especially when you go down the years.

But if someone only has 15k for a new car, then that Kia isn't a bad choice. Of course I'd prefer a new Golf or Alfa but it's impossible in that price range.

7 year warranty.. That's mad stuff. I'm still coming to terms with how long that is. My 5k euro Passat tractor would still be in warranty :)

Not at all but kia's are so slow they're pretty much a hazard on the road +

, you'd pick up a good FSI for that price, not particularly the one I linked it's just the first FSI I stumbled on.

Unlike some folk on here, I've driven both the Kia C'eed (and Pro C'eed) 1.6 Diesel, and the Golf 1.6FSI (and a 2.0FSI) and the Kia is definatley quicker than the Golf 1.6FSI.

Also better looking (Pro C'eed) in my opinion, will be more effecient (FACT), cheaper to tax (FACT), better put together (FACT) and will be more reliable (FACT).

Advertisement