Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with initial boot.

Options
  • 25-01-2010 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

OK so I built my first PC last week and only today go Win7. I've an ATI 5870 graphics card and was trying to hook it up to my 42'' Samsung HDTV. I'm using a HDMI cable that works with my PS3.

So I've the HDMI cable going directly into the graphics card at the back and the other end obviously into a HDMI port in the TV (tried all 3). I've tried renaming the source to 'PC' for each of the HDMI channels.

I still get 'no signal'.

Maybe it's wise to use a standard DVI cable when booting first and adjust the settings on the graphics card for HD once I've installed the drivers etc???? ( I don't currently have a DVI cable)

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Anyone?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well the source wouldn't be "pc" it would be "hdmi1..2..3"

I'm guessing you've tried that though, If I were you I'd have another goo inside the case double check you have the two power connectors in the gpu, make sure all the fans are spinning up and don't forget the 4 pin connector beside the cpu.

Don't forget the more detail you give us the better the chance we can help.
    Have you tried it with another monitor/screen the fact you're using a hdmi cable should not have any bearing at all as they are essentially the same things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I just booted into safe mode to double check and the lack of the ATI drivers do not seem to be a problem for the hdmi adapter. It is possible that the TV just does not like the resolution/ refresh rates that the generic windows driver is feeding it.

Best bet is to get your hanss on a regular monitor if possible to firstly rule out any other issue with the card, and secondly to install catalyst control center. Before going back to the HDTV alone it would probably be worth getting the HDTV working as a second monitor (With some HDTVs you have to do a fair bit of experimenting with profiles/settings/refresh rates to get it working properly and in that case the regular monitor will be invaluable for troubleshooting etc ).

Thanks for the suggestions.

They 12v connection is connected to the motherboard as well.

It's no longer going to POST. I've an ASUS P6T SE and have been reading of some issues with the RAM channels.

I removed the RAM and not getting any beeps. Removed the video card and still no beeps.

I'm going to a mate's house later to test the components.

I'll let you's know how I get on. :)

OK so after exhausting that it could be the RAM theory as this motherboard in particular is very temperamental with where the RAM is fixed, I found a thread after some 'Googling' whereby others had the exact same issue.

Turns out, there is a common defect in this motherboard. It's the CPU slot - there's a pin bent out of shape (and yes I had to get the magnifying glass out). I'm going to boldly attempt (:eek:) to fix it back in place myself prior to sending it back.

Should have time to do it tomorrow but, regardless I'll let you's know how I get on.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement