Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Election Candidates - Mod Warning post 196

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I remember no such motion...

There was a motion put forward that fell.

An individual member of Union Council proposed it (in AOB, always risky territory. Neither myself nor other campaigners knew the motion was even coming), in my opinion in an unclear manner, and it didn't pass.

I was going to formulate a motion for the UC after it with another 9 or 10 class reps, but the rumour-mill went into overdrive then with multiple members of staff indicating to us they'd heard the big day was very near, so we organised the petition/march/campaign swiftly around that. While it was unofficial, the SU were clear of that to any media that got in touch with them over the day and dealt with it very well in that regard.
    I recall wanting the ground to open and swallow us whole as it was being proposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

on a completely different note, here's a blast from the past:

Brian Murphy's manifesto from last year

I wonder how that second ATM is coming along? As for commuters, how about that bus shelter on the Kilcock road, and the designated driver system...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

CnaG wrote: »
    on a completely different note, here's a blast from the past:

Brian Murphy's manifesto from last year

I wonder how that second ATM is coming along? As for commuters, how about that bus shelter on the Kilcock road, and the designated driver system...

Well, at least we have that new canteen already! :rolleyes:

In fairness, I think Brian did a bloody decent job in truth, and anytime I bumped into him/got a chance to have a talk with him he seemed to be up to quite a lot. It was a hugely improved Union without a doubt.

The problem is with people in general making widely aspirational manifestos.

If you vote for somebody on Wednesday because you think it will result in the canteen being finished quicker, then you my friend are a moron.

Everyone last year seemed to use the canteen as their main point, found it ridiculous myself. What were they going to do, stand there and whip the builders?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Pats video is comedic gold

At first I was all "meh" but then the COLOUR KICKED IN and I was all "lol".

Is that the eh, break in apartment?

Edit: The video won't work for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jayo4Prez

Ok, that's all well and good, we all should try to live by that motto.

What concerns me is this:

Now Jason, I am not judging your character or your ability to be tactful in a difficult situation, but I'm in your English class and on more than one occasion, I've heard you speak aloud in class and you are certainly not without an opinion, and you're not afraid to give it either! ;)

Opinionated I might very well be. No issue with that assessment whatsoever. However, while I am all for a chat, debate or whatever, I never have nor will intend to shove ny points of view down anyone's neck. JW

What concerns me here is that the parts of the above quote that I've underlined are the parts that make me doubt what you've said above. As I said, I'm not going into a pro-life/choice debate here, but what I'm saying is that would opinions like the above cloud your judgment when it came to things like SHAG week or if there was some event on Women's Health and organisations like CURA and Postive Options were available to give advice about abortion counselling and such.

Now, as regards Cura or Positive Options, they are providers of information, as will the S.U. if I am elected. But while Cura or Positive Options will, I assume, be promoting certain points of view, the S.U. has to give all the options and all the facts, and then the person in question can make whatever decision they feel is in their best interests. A lecture....... absolutely not. Information, definitely. JW

I mean, being realistic, these services are badly needed especially in Universities, and I would not be impressed to say the least, if events like that were shadowed by a Pro-Life protest or something like that, simply because with somebody like yourself with such strong beliefs was in authority.

I am not in the business of drowning out opinions. As I have already mentioned, I have, like everyone else, a certain set of values that I use in making a decision. However, if Pro-Life etc decide to march against such an organisations presence on campus, it is their right to do so. I wont be supporting it or participating in such a march. I am not a member of Pro-Life or such an organisation and do not intend to give them support should they decide to engage in such activity. However, I wont condemn it either. As students, they have the same right as anyone else to get their views across. However, to use whatever influence I may or may not have to push an agenda is wrong and wont be happening. JW

So considering the above quotations, would you not agree that although you should (obviously) maintain your own personal beliefs and values, should they not be just that- personal. I would think that the role of MSU President would require you to put the needs, demands and situations of the student body before everything else, and as you said, when you have a student body as diverse and different as that of Maynooth, I think you should be completely and totally impartial, and reserve your own beliefs for yourself.

If you look at the above comments that I have made, you can clearly see that it is my intention to do so and if you look my manifesto up, you will see a declaration of intent to respect any and all points of view. JW

At the end of the day, anybody (FOR EXAMPLE, because I think this is a good example, sorry if I upset/offend anybody) who has to avail of crisis pregnancy agencies/services etc does not need to be told that if they are seeking info about an abortion or abortion counselling that they have "been misinformed" about their choices. Your beliefs do not speak for other people's choices, y'know what I mean?

Now, lets make this clear. I do not intend on going down the road of imposing my beliefs on anyone, much less someone who comes in my door looking for help. The help will be provided. To put the above underlined quote into context, as we all agree, abortion is a choice, but not the only choice. If you re-read the comment, I am saying that if someone comes in under the impression that it is the only real solution, then yes, they have been misinformed. There are other solutions, and people have the right to hear about those too. If they have their minds made up, well then that's it and the decision has to be, and will be, respected.

Hope that adresses these concerns. Glad to see that, if nothing else, my integrity is in good standing.
    JW

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Is that the eh, break in apartment?

Edit: The video won't work for me :(
    no thats pats own apartment i believe...tooty flutty is just near it

try clickin view in normal quality...or your flash player may need to be upgraded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

jpcarlow wrote: »
    The bit at the start reminds me of the angelus for some reason lol :D

I watched it with my speakers off, because they're brucked, but I imagine he was dancing to some very fun upbeat music there. Looks like a fun guy. Also looks like the type of person who would do my head in :-)

I don't know though, I still fancy ron for Ents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I watched it with my speakers off, because they're brucked, but I imagine he was dancing to some very fun upbeat music there. Looks like a fun guy. Also looks like the type of person who would do my head in :-)

The song is "Play that Funky Music, White Boy", a personal fave. Not on a par with Human League, but it's a quality pre-drinks song.

talk to him for 5 mins and that will change:D

CnaG, you seem good. We think you should go introduce yourself!

Also, Pat has loitered in my shoe department, NO VOTEZ

Is the guy running for Irish any relation to the Sinn Féin T.D and Dail Party Leader with the same name?

Curious is all, only noticed it there!

I wonder if Bertie joined boards to defend himself like Cait/Jason, how many lulz would have been had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Watching that video, I now realise I've met Pat before! He won the Muic Soc song contest back in November!

Excellent singer, and top bloke.

Ataxia wrote: »
    No problem. My question is this: You admit to being strongly Catholic. The Catholic Church says that condom use is sinful. Do you agree with the Church's position?

The second part of the question is this: The point of following a certain moral teaching is that it in some way influences the way you act in reality. If handing out condoms as part of SHAG week and in general promoting condom use conflicts with your personal ethics, how can we being expected to seriously believe that such a conflict would have no bearing on the way you do your job?

Essentially the same questions apply in the case of abortion.

I find the use of the word 'admit' rather funny. But anyway, here's where I stand.

I'll answer the second half first. I, like anyone else, and like all the other candidates, have a set of values. Mine happen to be based on religious values, whereas some of the other candidates base theirs on different points of view. For example, Tara is a strong environmentalist and Aengus is a member of Labour Youth. Will their values come into play? I hope so. 'To thine ownself be true'.:):):)

Now, the Good Lord states that religion practiced privately is stronger than public demonstrations. Paraphrasing: Dont let your left hand see what your right hand is doing etc. There's a quiet room in the passage too..... somewhere.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That means that while, yes, I am religious, it is a personal faith.

So, to press on with the condom question, as far as I am concerned, my beliefs on the matter are irrelevant as I will not let it interfere with my ability to do my job.

One of the key teachings of the Church is free-will, so how anyone exercises it is their affair.

I hope that that addresses any fears.

I think you and Jakkass are going to get on just great!

• Advertisement

By the way, I would like to thank anyone who has taken the time out to get to know me or to question me. I think that it is healthy and only right that all of us put ourselves out there for scrutiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

religion practiced privately is stronger than public demonstrations...
    Dont let your left hand see what your right hand is doing

I'm itching to make dirty jokes... Itching I tell you!

Introduce myself Rozabeez? On the know your maynoothonians board? Will do presently :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 circa1990

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Is the guy running for Irish any relation to the Sinn Féin T.D and Dail Party Leader with the same name?

no i don't believe so. He's a great guy though. Name is somewhat ironic as he's another member of ÓFF. He's a really great guy and he'll defo get my vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Jayo4Prez wrote: »

Now, to get to your point about said conversation, as far as I can remember, I wanted trade embargoes and you wanted more eh... direct action. I felt that attacking trigger-happy Isrealis was no the way to go.

Absolute rubbish. Totally twisting what was said that day. We felt trade embargoes weren't enough and we certainly didn't imply we wanted anyone to "attack" Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Since when is there a guy called Ron?!?!?! :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Pajoe89

Jayo, i appreciate and commend you (as any one who has done) for coming on and defending yourself and I do agree that petty name calling is a bit divvy(especially on the internet).

HOWEVER, I think you have managed to do more damage to yourself and your campaign by doing so. Fair enough you are a practicing R.C, can't fault you on that but the fact you say that and make no bones of it on your literature is irrelevant to the campaign and has only brought upon you arguments among everyone here.

Like in governmental campaigns you have opened up the can of worms that include abortion and Gay rights etc. In doing so you have to take the position of your faith which in these cases are controversial and isolating. The only ones you seem to impress are the Pro-lifers!

The Isreal issue too. WTF? I didn't know NUIM had it as a campaign issue :P

As a presidential candidate, you (and the others)have to appeal to as many groups of students as possible. In a college which has the highest and most active LGBT group, these issues which you have been forced to tackle are only damaging and come as the least attractive candidate to represent them. Further more, you isolate yourself from the left leaning and liberally minded students (not to mention the non religious).

This is nothing personal, and i understand this it is your "personal faith" rather then a political platform (which it should never be). I just feel you have committed political suicide by being dragged into this argument when you had set out just to answer a few personal slanderings on your appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

Since when is there a guy called Ron?!?!?! :):):)

Ron is King. So cool he runs for every position.

Chuck Norris was thought to be invincible, then he met Ron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shmici

PrivateEye wrote: »

eh, ive heard that there is a relation.....
    but ive also heard that he is actually a member of O.F.F.
    don't hold that to me....was told by another O.F.F. member.....
    but i aint 100% sure tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

shmici wrote: »
    eh, ive heard that there is a relation.....
    but ive also heard that he is actually a member of O.F.F.
    don't hold that to me....was told by another O.F.F. member.....
    but i aint 100% sure tbh!

First post party... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shmici

TheeItcha wrote: »
    First post party... :D

mmm.....thought it was about time i got myself on boards!!
    :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement