Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Election Candidates - Mod Warning post 196

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 shmici

TheeItcha wrote: »
    These have been the best elections since I have been in Maynooth imo.

is it because im in them, and im awesome????

:D lies!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

We need UCD style election groundrules.

Same amount of posters/leaflets/t-shirts for all candidates.

At the minute, its potential 'How much money can mam give you to get elected' stuff.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    We need UCD style election groundrules.

Same amount of posters/leaflets/t-shirts for all candidates.

At the minute, its potential 'How much money can mam give you to get elected' stuff.

thats very true.....

maynooth had regulations regarding the elections in years past did they not???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You're in them? What you running for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Rozabeez wrote: »
    You're in them? What you running for?

Running for St. Pat's rep no?
    *strange stalker music*

• Advertisement

Running for St. Pat's rep no?
    *strange stalker music*

yes....im running for pats rep!!!!

disappointed as i am the one and only!!

You've got my vote :p

Least you didn't feckin' join up to pimp out your campaign. Fair play !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

shmici wrote: »
    yes....im running for pats rep!!!!

disappointed as i am the one and only!!

Vote RON

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Since when is there a guy called Ron?!?!?! :):):)

Can I just make sure people know I was joking!?!

Ron Burgundy ?!?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

Can I just make sure people know I was joking!?!

Ron Burgundy ?!?! :)

I owe you an apology. In the other thread I was being sarcastic. Sarcasm doesn't travel well over the internet:(

Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

mickstupp wrote: »
    Can I vote for Jakkass?

Just vote banquo (Rob) for VP Comms, and I will be happy considering that:
    1) He will redesign the website
    2) He will make The Print better
    3) He will recognise the NUI Maynooth section boards.ie a recognised place of opinion at NUI Maynooth.
    and finally:
    4) He knows how do to all of these things (crucial)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Pajoe89

Defo VP Comms for Rob. Best manifesto ever!

And Yes a better election system and ground rules to be implemented. Stop the madness!!! :eek:

digging_a_hole.jpg

I have a spare shovel in case that one breaks.

LOL. Might point exactly.

Jayo4Prez wrote: »
    Okay. Lets get a few things straight.

In my answers/comments so far, I have put myself out there. I am not a politician and am an aspiring teacher. I have no political agenda and have no alterior motives for looking for this job only to see if I can do a better one than previous presidents.

Now, I opened no can of worms. A question was asked of me (and by the way, the other candidates were asked the same question and have yet to answer it) about how would my ethics, based as they are on R.C. doctrine, influence the way that I conduct my affairs as President. The answer is, by and large other than staying honest and true to myself, they wont.

Consequentially, I have been branded as a religious fanatic that would rival Bill O'Reilly and Fox News in the Conservative stakes.

Then, people started questioning me on various points of Church doctrine and whether I agree with them or not, not whether it would influence how I do my job.

Now, I have said this already in reply to Rosabeez. I understand, as a regular contributer to this site and as a fairly nice guy, Aengus is the preferred choice of the Boards community, and that is fine.

However, if I thought he was the best man for the job, then I wouldn't be running myself........ by myself!!!!!!!!!!

So, while I appreciate the good comments, the props and the questions here (which, by the way, I will continue to answer), I do think lads saw an opportunity to take pot-shots, and, probably foolishly, I opened the door. But I pulled no triggers.

Ok the reason why other candidates haven't answer this question is very simple and is explained by the above picture. You said x, y, and z which either some agree with or not. This thread is not a religious thread and while i know u didn't set out for this conversation you probably would have been best off to say hi and then not partake in any debate that could potentially harm your campaign.

To say you have no political motives is stupid as EVERYONE who runs for an office such as S.U president has at least some form of motive ranging from party ambitions to only small agendas. What ever ones you have may be personal or public but you and everyone running has them in some shape or form.

Picking battles is the key and to be honest, this thread was not a winning one.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

I owe you an apology. In the other thread I was being sarcastic. Sarcasm doesn't travel well over the internet:(

Sorry.

Sorry that was my bad! It was only a while after I posted it that I realised how stupid it sounded! :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

They're out early today, just saw Aengus' crew hanging a banner outside John Hume while Gavin looked on, think I saw that Shelly one out and about too. I have to say this is the most exciting election since I've been in Maynooth, I might even vote this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 captain peanut

In my opinion i found david tuohy a valid choice for vp comms, he had valid accomplishable opinions and he seemed very nice. I havn't seen rob munnely (sorry if spelt wrong) or heard his opinions but his posters look top class but i just think some of his ideas are not accomplishable...i may be wrong but i just wanted to get that out there...i saw rob ripping david on this aswel...thats not cool either. I would think a person would show a bit of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Thats politics.

Just like you saying Rob's ideas cannot be accomplished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

In my opinion i found david tuohy a valid choice for vp comms, he had valid accomplishable opinions and he seemed very nice. I havn't seen rob munnely (sorry if spelt wrong) or heard his opinions but his posters look top class but i just think some of his ideas are not accomplishable...i may be wrong but i just wanted to get that out there...i saw rob ripping david on this aswel...thats not cool either. I would think a person would show a bit of respect.

Alright Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭westdub15

prob going to vote for gavin brady....Aengus seems good but seems fairly similar to the guy weve got in charge at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jayo4Prez

Pajoe89 wrote: »
    Ok the reason why other candidates haven't answer this question is very simple and is explained by the above picture. You said x, y, and z which either some agree with or not. This thread is not a religious thread and while i know u didn't set out for this conversation you probably would have been best off to say hi and then not partake in any debate that could potentially harm your campaign.

To say you have no political motives is stupid as EVERYONE who runs for an office such as S.U president has at least some form of motive ranging from party ambitions to only small agendas. What ever ones you have may be personal or public but you and everyone running has them in some shape or form.

Picking battles is the key and to be honest, this thread was not a winning one.

If you think that I was just going to canvass on this thing, you obviously dont get me at all.

"Picking battles..........."

"EVERYONE who runs for an office such as S.U president has at least some form of motive ranging from party ambitions to only small agendas......"

It was made quite clear that canvassing on this thing when you were a new user was not appreciated.... so I engaged with a, if not hostile.... certainly a less than matey site to clarify mis-quotes, points in my manifesto and any other questions. I have done just that.

Let me make the following clear. I am not a member of a political party who sees the job as the rung of a ladder.

I am running because I think that I can do this job well. End of story. No alterior motives, no messing, no misinformation and no lies.

Now, to finish up, the other candidates have not answered any questions here for a number of reasons.......

1. They are regular contributers here and people know what they are about.
    2. The couldnt be bothered.
    3. They're unaware of Boards and dont know that it has even been posed.

I fall under NONE of these catagories and and so, I answered. An S.U. President has to be able to give any answers that are requested of him. He has to be held accountible for his actions.

westdub15 wrote: »
    prob going to vote for gavin brady....Aengus seems good but seems fairly similar to the guy weve got in charge at the moment

Hey Gav.

Facepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭westdub15

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Hey Gav.

nope my names niall if you must know

Ah I'm only pulling your leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Just had a gander at the election booklet, its awesome! well done to Grace and Brian and all involved.

Love the contrast between David and Rob's, and Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin and Naoise Ó Cearúil's entries.

To paraphrase:

David: "I have been a journalist at such-and-such for X years".
    Rob: "The VP C&D is not a journalist, he's a designer."

Caoimhglín: Half Irish/Half English entry
    Náoise: English.

SURELY you would think to put a but of Irish in there, for the job that's in it?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Anyone know the the VP/Comms hustings went today? I was unable to attend as I though it was on at 1:45 not 12:45 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

meganj wrote: »
    Anyone know the the VP/Comms hustings went today? I was unable to attend as I though it was on at 1:45 not 12:45 :confused:

Yeah, I was there and I'm not trying to sound biased, being Rob's friend and all, but I thought he walked over David. David seemed to know about the journalistic approach, but as Rob's been saying, this is not a journalist's job. I was very dissapointed in David, both in his answers and his body language (crossed arms, legs widely apart when sitting down).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Yeah knowing both candidates, Rob better then Tuohy, I was curious to see how well they'd be matched. Was hoping that Rob would show his abilities over tuohy with regards to the journalism/editor approach. I mean we have enough budding journalists in the Print already what we need is someone with a good keen editors eye like say... ROB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    Yeah, I was there and I'm not trying to sound biased, being Rob's friend and all, but I thought he walked over David. David seemed to know about the journalistic approach, but as Rob's been saying, this is not a journalist's job. I was very dissapointed in David, both in his answers and his body language (crossed arms, legs widely apart when sitting down).
    I was there and I have to agree. David's body language was all wrong. I think Rob came across more professional and more able for the job! ROB all the way!! :):):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement