Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Election Candidates - Mod Warning post 196

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

In my opinion i found david tuohy a valid choice for vp comms, he had valid accomplishable opinions and he seemed very nice. I havn't seen rob munnely (sorry if spelt wrong) or heard his opinions but his posters look top class but i just think some of his ideas are not accomplishable...i may be wrong but i just wanted to get that out there...i saw rob ripping david on this aswel...thats not cool either. I would think a person would show a bit of respect.

Didn't mention 'him' once (P.S hey Tuohy), though he ripped on me at one point for saying that nuimsu.com needed to be overhauled. ''Sure isn't it grand''.

Thread wars!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

banquo wrote: »
    Didn't mention 'him' once (P.S hey Tuohy), though he ripped on me at one point for saying that nuimsu.com needed to be overhauled. ''Sure isn't it grand''.

Thread wars!

Thread wars are entertaining for everyone else!
    The hustings really show who's prepared and I just feel that Rob is more prepared and able for the job.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

I think today's hustings confirmed one thing. That being that Rob is far more capable for this job than David. David seems like a nice chap, but its almost like hes doing it for the craic or for a job :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Good job Rob. Even if you don't know your way around a woman I'll still vote for you.

Did anyone else see this?

105883.jpg

It's written across the footbridge on the side closest to the main vehicular entrance to the college. Someone obviously wrote it while leaning over the bridge and got confused which way the letters went :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TheeItcha

Banquo out of interest when you were asked today what bird did you like best, why didn't you answer "A Hot one"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Maybe because he already has a hot bird *wink wink Booley wink wink*

Love that they left it though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

TheeItcha wrote: »
    Banquo out of interest when you were asked today what bird did you like best, why didn't you answer "A Hot one"?
    because he loves him sum funkyp

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Hustings for VP comms went well today though can't say there's much to report other than the fact that Rob showed a clear understanding of what the job is supposed to entail and demonstrated how he is qualified to do it, whilst, in between just agreeing with Rob's points, Tuohy spent the whole time talking about how he would be able to do the job after "training".

Good job Rob. Even if you don't know your way around a woman I'll still vote for you.

105883.jpg

It's written across the footbridge on the side closest to the main vehicular entrance to the college. Someone obviously wrote it while leaning over the bridge and got confused which way the letters went :pac:

Possibly my favorite post of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Well done today Rob, an ace show. I think my table produced more than enough techy questions for all, as Declan and Rob are basically computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Have been lurking round this thread for a good while now, thought I may as well give an opinion while I wait for my little heater to bring my study room up to a manegable temperature...

Stumbled on Hustings today, only because the bloody SU and Juicee Lucee were so packed you could barely get a foot in the door. From the 20 minutes or so I was there, it was plainly obvious that the guy with the beard (Rob?) was comfortably the better candidate. Rob answered every single question that was directed at both candidates first, while the other guy basically just stood up and agreed with him after he spoke :confused:

All in all I think Rob will do a good job based on today, certainly much better than the other guy anyway, who really didn't seem to know what he wanted to do, and even then was quite unsure whether he'd be able to do it even if he did.

As for president, Aengus gets my vote, although I think we could do a lot worse than Gav (i've noticed some people on here don't seem to think he's taking it seriously, apart from Aengus I think he's probably the best candidate this year).

Undecided on welfare, although that Lydia one is doing my head in by scribbling all over campus and attacking me outside the arts block 4 or 5 times today.

Finance, again still undecided although I'm leaning towards the middle guy in the booklet, when are Finance Hustings on? Would like to ask what exactly Declan has in mind in relation to making the Union carbon neutral, and what exactly that will do in relation to finances.

Ents is a bloody joke, so i'll vote for the girl with her boobs out in her picture.

Good luck to all y'all candidates anyway ;)

Actually one more thing, can somebody please suggest an alternative area for hustings, I was hungry today and couldn't get to the bloody vending machine because you jerks were in the way :mad:

^ I'd encourage more of this sort of post, sometimes it feels like we're literally a mini-bus full of people talking to ourselves.

RE: the venue for hustings. Typically, nobody goes to hustings except the candidates' friends, and thus the debate is pointless because everyone there has their mind made up and the person who's job it is doesn't seem to know how to put the debates up on YouTube. (side note: guys, seriously, there are nine year olds in Inida that are Youtube partners; it's designed bo be really easy to put up videos!) So this year it seems that hustings was moved in front of people. Even still, half the room got up and left when it started.

Sorry Mr Banquo, I forget that sarcasm doesn't transfer well when written:P

Stupid question, that was :D The 'aul Dublin accent came out at the wrong time.

Saw this on Facebook:

20142_1273248068254_1141477362_30833106_5763285_n.jpg

Will agree with Barnhallbull there, whilst the common room catches people who may not normally go to hustings and has plenty of room if it's not filled with people interested in the elections its easy for chatter to drown out the speakers and it stops people who just want to use it as normal. Perhaps a small lecture theatre could be used next year?

Again I go back to my time in Cardiff but we held ours in the evening. Hustings for each position (7 sabbs and about 7 exec) were held in one go. Each candidate had a few minutes to speak and then a few questions (which had to be directed at all candidates per role) were taken from the floor. Afterwards the SU bar had drinks offers on so everyone went up and put some cash in the SU till.

Ents is a bloody joke, so i'll vote for the girl with her boobs out in her picture.

Good luck to all y'all candidates anyway ;)

Actually one more thing, can somebody please suggest an alternative area for hustings, I was hungry today and couldn't get to the bloody vending machine because you jerks were in the way :mad:

One question about what you said about Ents...why do you think it's a joke? What ever way you vote..it would just be good to know!

I thought Hustings went well today and I'm looking forward to them tomorrow too!I can't remember what time they're on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

banquo wrote: »
    Stupid question, that was :D The 'aul Dublin accent came out at the wrong time.

Saw this on Facebook:

Wow. Is that a hopscotch thing at the bottom?! :eek:

I actually quite like the posters I've seen about. They're colourful and look nice and come down easily after elections. This chalk business is annoying. It's become a race to who can get their name on the ground before someone else steals the space.

kellief wrote: »
    I thought Hustings went well today and I'm looking forward to them tomorrow too!I can't remember what time they're on!

Tomorrow at 12.45.
    23rd Tuesday - Exec - 12:45 - 14:15

• Advertisement

I say ban the chalk next year to be honest, its only annoying people.

On the bins, on the bridge, on the way to lunch, bloody everywhere.

A definitive list of election rules is definitely needed. I've talked to a few candidates who seemed totally clueless over what was definitely allowed and what wasn't. As mentioned earlier too, a cap on spending is needed.

irish_goat wrote: »
    A definitive list of election rules is definitely needed. I've talked to a few candidates who seemed totally clueless over what was definitely allowed and what wasn't. As mentioned earlier too, a cap on spending is needed.

A rule book would be lovely! It's hard to know what you're going to get fined for or not! I have to agree with the chalk ban. It was funny when Lydia had it done first, but now it's turned into mini vandalism. Everyone thinks chalk just washes away but it leaves a residue in the concrete and you need a good strong brush, warm water and washing up liquid to get rid of it!! I speak from experience...not fun! (Sorry that's the clean freak in me!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Here's a very simple rule that I'm going to follow this year: If I see your name in chalk, I am not voting for you.

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Here's a very simple rule that I'm going to follow this year: If I see your name in chalk, I am not voting for you.

Hahaha:D:D:D

kellief wrote: »
    One question about what you said about Ents...why do you think it's a joke? What ever way you vote..it would just be good to know!

I haven't got a copy of the handbook at home with me, but from reading through it today during hustings all the Ents candidates seemed to be promising the same basics, each one with something stupid thrown in to differentiate them from the others. Can't remember exactly so I might edit this tomorrow once i've reread it, didn't necessarily mean offence to the Ents candidates, more that I don't think it makes any difference who's elected to the job.

Are you running?

I haven't got a copy of the handbook at home with me, but from reading through it today during hustings all the Ents candidates seemed to be promising the same basics, each one with something stupid thrown in to differentiate them from the others. Can't remember exactly so I might edit this tomorrow once i've reread it, didn't necessarily mean offence to the Ents candidates, more that I don't think it makes any difference who's elected to the job.

Are you running?

Ah right! Well sure let us know when you can! I'm not running, I'm campaigning for my mate who is! Louise Feaheny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

There used to be a candidates handbook, i think we gave them to the candidates last year?? thought that covered all that shoite. Seriously needs to be updated though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Aldebaran wrote: »
    +1 Writing your name on the ground is just a waste of time imo. It's bad enough being hassled with leaflets constantly, I've decided to go around JH and the Arts block if at all possible :rolleyes:
    The election handbook is really handy, no need for leaflets from every candidate with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

cian1500ww wrote: »
    The election handbook is really handy, no need for leaflets from every candidate with it.
    I agree. But after an hour in the Arts block today I had seven of the things in front of me. Then the guy came around for another pass and actually tried to give me more! What is wrong with these people? The person with the USI tshirt tried it too. Three or four leaflets on every table and he tries to stick down more.

MUPPETS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement