Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Election Candidates - Mod Warning post 196

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Canvassing in my lecture - lecturer is starting to look pissed off:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

banquo wrote: »
    Exec hustings. Won't be much updates from me ( on iPod ) but Declan just got an amazing round of applause for his speech.

His speech was pretty good! I think Hustings today really proved a lot. It showed who was more prepared for each role!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

So exec hustings, from left to right.

Irish and Cultural Affars:

I've not much to say here as for one thing, I don't speak a word of Irish(damn nordie education) so didn't understand half their speeches. Both Caoimhghín and Naoise spoke well and countered each others points on a few occasions. Perhaps Naoise came off slightly better but only cause he's a better public speaker.

St. Pat’s Rep
    Again not much to say other than the fella Micheal seems like a sound lad and should do a good job.

Ents Officer
    :
    The category that definitely got the most attention and the most questions put up. First off I'll say that each candidate shows a clear willingness to get the job done and they all seem like they know what a good night in the SU requires. Manifestos for all 4 are quite similar and there was a lot of poaching of ideas from other candidates done(I thought anyway).
    Barbara (Basia) Bekelska: English isn't her first language a few people had trouble understanding her at times. She was solid when speaking but didn't offer much in the way of actual ideas under than what everyone else had i.e. cheap drink, local bands etc.
    Catríona Hoban: Hadn't as many in the crowd as Louise or Pat so sometimes got drowned out a little by chatter, could have been a little bit more forceful with her speaking but in all gave a good effort and showcased her knowledge of how the SU/ENTS works and gave some decent ideas that other candidates didn't have. e.g. designated drivers schemes.
    Louise Feaheny: Delivered her points well and I've no doubt that she is a "do'er" and would work very hard at the job. Also, has exec experience already and was able to say how this would help her in the job. Felt she was lacking in policy though, heard her say "I want your ideas and suggestions" several times. Wanting student input is fair enough but she should really have her own thoughts and ideas and not be relying on other people so much if she's serious about the job.
    Pat Byrne: Clearly the crowd's favourite, well delivered speech (including a song) and came across very confidently. He was very much style over substance however, his main selling point seems to be the fact that he loves having "the craic with the lads". No doubt he is great fun but a lot of the time his answers to questions simply referred to things like "bringing the craic back to the SU" as if it's that easy. He also made no qualms about simply agreeing with other candidates ideas that he hadn't thought of.

Finance Officer

Conor Curly: Good speaker. Didn't actually give that much in terms of policy ideas, his main one being to force the Londis shop to sell cheaper stuff and make more money for the SU. Pretty sure the SU doesn't own the Londis shop...? Not sure if he is deadly serious about the role. I'd write more but he didn't make much of an impression.
    Damien Gorman: Needed to speak louder, he trailed off on a few of his points but what he did say was quite solid. His idea to open a shop in the SU (to compete with Londis) is very good and should be implemented regardless of who wins.
    Declan Meenagh: Decent speaker and made some good jokes that had the whole room laughing. Felt that he fudged slightly on the question about his carbon neutrality idea but was pretty solid otherwise. Was quite good with demonstrating his SU experience and dedication to the SU.

In reply to Irish_Goat...no point in quoting the whole thing!
    I think what you said about each candidate really summed them up well. It's clear that Pat has a huge backing and does seem like a good candidate, but I think that his whole policy of having the craic may let him down when people want a candidate to do well for them. I will give him my second vote, but I don't think he will be able to get much done.
    Caitriona didn't know enough and looked quite unprepared in her speech.
    Naoise came across as the stronger candidate for Irish language officer. I know him years and his attitude is the right one!!

I have my mind made up for each role, but I do wish everyone the best of luck!

kellief wrote: »
    In reply to Irish_Goat...no point in quoting the whole thing!
    I think what you said about each candidate really summed them up well. It's clear that Pat has a huge backing and does seem like a good candidate, but I think that his whole policy of having the craic may let him down when people want a candidate to do well for them. I will give him my second vote, but I don't think he will be able to get much done.
    Caitriona didn't know enough and looked quite unprepared in her speech.
    Naoise came across as the stronger candidate for Irish language officer. I know him years and his attitude is the right one!!

I have my mind made up for each role, but I do wish everyone the best of luck!

Pat's chances rely on people voting tomorrow based on his visibility. If the voters tomorrow are serious and weigh up each candidate properly they'll go for Louise or Cait, imo.
    If the voters are mainly uninterested people who vote for the sake of it or cause their friend told them too then Pat will storm it.

Cait did seem a bit unprepared for certain questions but you can't really say she didn't know enough. She was able to tell us when Red Bull would be around giving out freebies and knew when the AA meetings were and knew how to go about organising inter-college events.

And actually yeah, Naoise is promising free Irish lessons, which I will avail of, so he gets my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Lecture addresses and canvassing in JH today, and the common room and mature students room.

Right after you addressed our Geography lecture, the group of guys sitting beside me were discussing wether they could vote you in as President instead! Won yourself a good few votes there today! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

irish_goat wrote: »
    If the voters tomorrow are serious and weigh up each candidate properly they'll go for Louise or Cait, imo.
    If the voters are mainly uninterested people who vote for the sake of it or cause their friend told them too then Pat will storm it.

Disagree with this, just because someone comes across like a bit of fun doesn't mean they can't work!

He's put a lot of work and effort into his campaign, his facebook has over (3 times the amount of every other candidate)300 members and it takes hours to make a video
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=104881016201787&ref=nf
    Especially one that's any good!

I think he's a very serious candidate, along with how jpCarlow was saying how hard working he is on everything. I hope people don't see him as a joke or just "popular" candidate because he likes to have a laugh sometimes.

Effluo wrote: »
    Disagree with this, just because someone comes across like a bit of fun doesn't mean they can't work!

He's put a lot of work and effort into his campaign, his facebook has over (3 times the amount of every other candidate)300 members and it takes hours to make a video
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=104881016201787&ref=nf
    Especially one that's any good!

I think he's a very serious candidate, along with how jpCarlow was saying how hard working he is on everything. I hope people don't see him as a joke or just "popular" candidate because he likes to have a laugh sometimes.

He's put a lot of effort into his campaign, no doubt about that but when it came down to it at questions today he barely gave an answer that didn't just make him seem like a loveable clown.
    e.g. When asked how he planned to do the job given how much he just loves having "the craic with the lads"? His answer was simply that he'd carry on having the craic and that he wanted everyone in the room to be "the lads". There's a time and a place for laughs and a time and place to be serious, he doesn't seem to grasp this.

I stand by my statement, he'll pull a lot of votes from people who think he'll be a good laugh but after hustings today I can't see too many people who were there taking him totally seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

irish_goat wrote: »
    I stand by my statement, he'll pull a lot of votes from people who think he'll be a good laugh but after hustings today I can't see too many people who were there taking him totally seriously.

My point is if he wasn't serious about it then he wouldn't have put so much work into it(seems as though way more than the other candidates), although he may not have shown that in Hustings by the sounds of it.

If anything he does as Ents Officer is even half as good as the video he made, then he would be a great success! He's obv very creative and i'm sure that would pass through to the events...

It's unfortunate about the hustings though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

I'm posting this now, because as the polls are opening in 14 hours, its quite likely I wont get another chance to be online. I wanted to come on and say thanks to all the boardsies I've met during the campaign and to everyone for being so supportive for the last few weeks.

It has been without a doubt both the hardest and most enjoyable ten days of my (considerable) time in Maynooth and win, lose or RON, I'll be able to look back on a wonderful experience and all the thousands of brilliant people I've had a chance to meet and get to know.

I'm exhausted, but I think I've got just about another day in me, and I'll be fighting for this one as hard as I can. I honestly believe in my campaign, and I am running not for careerist or purely selfish reasons but because Maynooth students need an SU that fights tirelessly for them in what looks likely to be its hardest year yet in 2010 / 11.

For the record, I don't want to be a TD. Its a horrible job!

Come what may, after the campaign is over, I'll still be here lurking on boards, making the occasional in-jokey comment to PrivateEye, Funky, Banquo, or anyone else that manages to elicit a response.

Seriously though, do get out and vote, if not for me, then whoever, because the stronger the mandate, the stronger the SU's next President when dealing with the Government, the University or Brendan Ashe ( :P ) and more than anything else we need to work together next year, to make sure that Students come first in every decision made at any level in the University.

See ye all on the other side!

Aengus :)

• Advertisement

I'm posting this now, because as the polls are opening in 14 hours, its quite likely I wont get another chance to be online. I wanted to come on and say thanks to all the boardsies I've met during the campaign and to everyone for being so supportive for the last few weeks.

It has been without a doubt both the hardest and most enjoyable ten days of my (considerable) time in Maynooth and win, lose or RON, I'll be able to look back on a wonderful experience and all the thousands of brilliant people I've had a chance to meet and get to know.

I'm exhausted, but I think I've got just about another day in me, and I'll be fighting for this one as hard as I can. I honestly believe in my campaign, and I am running not for careerist or purely selfish reasons but because Maynooth students need an SU that fights tirelessly for them in what looks likely to be its hardest year yet in 2010 / 11.

For the record, I don't want to be a TD. Its a horrible job!

Come what may, after the campaign is over, I'll still be here lurking on boards, making the occasional in-jokey comment to PrivateEye, Funky, Banquo, or anyone else that manages to elicit a response.

Seriously though, do get out and vote, if not for me, then whoever, because the stronger the mandate, the stronger the SU's next President when dealing with the Government, the University or Brendan Ashe ( :P ) and more than anything else we need to work together next year, to make sure that Students come first in every decision made at any level in the University.

See ye all on the other side!

Aengus :)

That's lovely! I really really do hope you get it and will be giving you the number 1 vote!! Best of luck if you do get, I know you'll be a great SU prez...don't let us down and do us proud!!!

Effluo wrote: »
    My point is if he wasn't serious about it then he wouldn't have put so much work into it(seems as though way more than the other candidates), although he may not have shown that in Hustings by the sounds of it.

If anything he does as Ents Officer is even half as good as the video he made, then he would be a great success! He's obv very creative and i'm sure that would pass through to the events...

It's unfortunate about the hustings though

He put in a lot of work in the run up, with the video and everything, but I do agree that people who want a good serious working ents officer, he came across as too laxidasical. I wish him well though!

Lou came across really well today I think...She did herself proud I do hope she get's it, as she really does deserve it! !!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Leopoldbloom, I've missed all hustings but have heard nothing but good words spoken about you, really hope you get it tomorrow and wish you the best of luck! Remind me to buy you a pint for all your hard work next time you see me!

....Right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 WesforPres

Rozabeez wrote: »
    ....Right.

It's alright?? thanks babe. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

WesforPres wrote: »
    It's alright?? thanks babe. ;)
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

... See more

Some delicious Copy Pasta.

Off to Facebook search this now.

Come on Aengus! Come on Rob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Two (slightly pervy) things-

a) Irish candidate that's not Naoise (ie the other guy who's name I can't spell)- HAWT

b) Aengus- picture does not do justice. Even the mature students a few rows up from me today in the 11oc lecture in Callan Hall were saying "Jaysis he's gorgeous"

There are my two things that I learned today. Yay student politics! :D

Aengus for President!
    Rob VP Comms!

WesforPres banned. We don't take kindly to trolls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Not in Maynooth anymore but I've really enjoyed following these elections on this thread! Fair play everyone and best of luck to all the candidates!

I just stumbled across a Facebook page for Wesley Moesha Carroll X who is apparently running for SU president. I've heard nothing on this. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Pisstake, don't worry about it.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Pisstake, don't worry about it.

Ah! The page was a joke so I was hoping so!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

To my friends:

I'm still overwhelmed by the wave of support in past days and weeks. It's been a month of really hard fighting, and whatever happens tomorrow I'm incredibly moved by the genuine and passionate shows of support, and by how people are talking about no longer being satisfied with low expectations.

There's one day of serious fighting ahead, and every vote will count.

Funky Penguin, JPCarlow, PrivateEye, Leopoldbloom, Duddy, Irish_Goat, Princess_Calico, JBoyle4eva, Declan06 and everyone I'm too wrecked to remember off hand right now: thank you so much, and see you on the battlefield tomorrow.

The best of luck to every candidate brave enough to put themselves forward this year. I mean that.

Vote.

*Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Ataxia

The best of luck to every candidate brave enough to put themselves forward this year.

Except Tuohy surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

Hustings today

Have to say I wasn’t overly impressed at Hustings today. I thought the questions were rubbish. It was more or less the same two questions over and over! “What experience do you have in the SU and how is it important?” “Tell me, what’s in your manifesto?”
    Ok, ok, so that’s what’s hustings is supposed to be about I suppose. But it was insanely boring. I asked it must have been 4 questions and none of them NONE OF THEM were asked. I sent one to Conor Curly, something to the effect of whether he was prepared to take the finance position seriously considering his manifesto revolves largely around killing Sarah Jessica Parker. I sent one to all candidates, asking if they had any political allegiances (there were 4 FFs on the platform, and one FEE person) and if/how would that effect they way they acted once in office. But no, that obviously wasn’t good enough either. I can’t remember the other 2. So at about 2 o’clock I sent up a question to Grace (the RO) to the effect of Grace, any chance you’re going ask any of my questions? They’re the ones written in blue pen.

In terms of the actual candidates:
    Finance:
    Declan – well, I’m voting for Declan. I think he’s a great guy and a good candidate for Finance, and I think the things he promises are fairly realistic
    Damo – (FF – as far as I know) I wasn’t overly impressed. He may have had one good answer. Having said that, he comes across as being a bit shy so he might do an alright job if he gets in.
    Conor Curly – comes across considerably better on the platform than in his ridiculous manifesto. Still not voting for him, I don’t think his head needs inflating any more.
    Prediction for Finance: Declan to win, Conor Curly to come second, Damo first one out.

Ents:
    Bosnia/Barbara – aka the boobs girl. Sorry, not voting for her. I realise she thought it was funny to have semi-naked poster, and yes it was kind of clever ripping off Brady, but her focus in ents seems to similarly cater to the male crowd (jelly wrestling does nothing for me, sorry. Nor do wet t-shirts competitions). Plus she had the ****ing cheek to refer to herself as a feminist, clearly without any idea what the word means. Sexually liberated woman, perhaps, feminist – no.
    Pat – came across as a bit of a legend. And also seemed a bit high. But I might give him a vote, even though I think he’s just having a laugh in running.
    Cait – aka the meh girl (FF). Cait seems to have good ideas, she seems quite capable of organising stuff, and she’s so career driven she’d probably do a good job, if only to put on her CV.
    Lou – Lou, I know you’re a boardsie and I have to say, fair ****s to you managing to stand in those heels today. Most of my friends seem to be voting for you, and you came across well today, even if Pat is going to steal your great non-alcoholic beverage consuming events!
    Prediction for Ents: Pat to win, Lou second, Bosnia third and Cait to be first out.

Pat’s Rep:
    Schmick – I couldn’t hear/understand half of what Schmick was saying today and I wasn’t too far from the front. I think it might be just as well that no-one else is running against him, it wasn’t a great show – although he’s right that events etc. just aren’t advertised enough on the other campus and south campus exec office hours aren’t a bad idea.
    Prediction for Pat’s Rep: well, Schmick to win. His posters are lovely, and there’s no-one else running against him except RON. I sincerely hope RON doesn’t win. Stay strong on the no smokes/alcohol lent thing Schmick :)

Cultural Affairs and Irish language officer:
    Naoise (FF)– I can’t understand why Naoise thinks offering free Irish language classes, to make us all flu

Not sure why that was cut off, but here's the rest:

Cultural Affairs and Irish language officer:
    Naoise (FF)– I can’t understand why Naoise thinks offering free Irish language classes, to make us all fluent, is going to encourage people to vote for him. If we’re not fluent after what, 14 years of it in school it’s hardly likely we’ll make the effort now. I like his ideas for a multi-cultural week though. (Was that his idea? I think it was...)
    Caomiheann (FF) – I think I spelt that wrong. I kind of didn’t really listen to much he said to be honest.
    Prediction for cultural/Irish officer: Haven’t a bogs notion to be honest. I think maybe Naoise is more likely because, if I’m being honest here, he’s the better looking of the two.

I’ll be voting RON though, for that last one I think.

As for USI, I hope it passes, but if recent referenda *cough* Lisbon *cough* have shown anything it’s shown we’re a cantankerous bunch who don’t take well to instruction. I think it’ll pass, but by a far narrower margin than we might expect given that there’s virtually no No campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jayo4Prez

Like all the other candidates, my thanks to you guys for the thorough examination and I hope that I came up to scratch. Best of luck to all the candidates and no hard feelings.

Jason Whelan

• Advertisement

Nearly forgot predictions for other positions:

President: Aengus to win, Gav 2nd, Tara 3rd (poss 2nd? good exposure during green week - and loved the prominent positioning of recyling boxes for the leaflets with slogans on them!), Jason 4th, Michelle (?) first out.
    VP Comms: Rob, clearly the superior candidate by far. Though Tuohy's folk have been out in force today. Hmm, late surge for Tuohy?.. Nah, Rob still to win.
    VP Welfare: Anybody's game, it'll all hang on the second/third preferences I think, though it'll probably boil down to James/Lydia/Liz. Haven't heard much about Mark or Mary. Lydia's probably had the most prominent campaign - and the distinctive blue hair helps. Liz has the benefit of incumbency - though whether that's enough remains to be seen I guess. The posters and campaign felt a bit tired though. As for James, James suffered considerably in that most people who might have been part of his campaign team were either campaigning for Aengus or for USI. But he'll hopefully get the LGBT vote (if such thing can be said to exist) which could be enough to get him elected... Here's hoping :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement