Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Election Candidates - Mod Warning post 196

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RockRocks

banquo wrote: »
    CTP5113.gif

This is exactly the kind of crap I've been talking about the last few days - fools with an agenda flitting on here with malicious intentions. BarryDooldles was just as bad, in fairness, but at least he's made the effort to:

(i) Not join boards.ie the day after campaigning starts
    (ii) post in a forum other than this one and in the thread devoted to election candidates

I joined the Cait Hoban for Ents Officer Group on facebook because I wanted to get an all round view of the candidates before making my decision. About 1 o clock today I got this in my fb inbox:

59854.jpg

Honesty and fairness are things I value very highly. I like boards.ie, and I really like our little NUIM forum. Please don't **** it up.

Note how I can make a point without calling you names. See picture no. 1 for further details.
    okay ill apologise but it had to be said bro. and i got that email too you know. and in my defence im a maths student not an english one so im sorry for not using correct notations. and dooley had it coming to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Everyone got that email from her. That's my point. "Hey everyone, go rush to my defence by cramming up a small forum with nonsense! I can be as petty as the person I disagree with!"

Maybe it's just me, but I think your post showed incredibly poor form. Nobody respects spam. Nobody is more likely to vote for Cait because you call Barry a ponce (you're not innocent in this either BarryDoodles), and I'm not the grand judge or anything and I do hate backseat modding but this sort of crap riles me no end.

Tell Cait to join and talk about her manifesto and then I'll take her seriously. Like I said, I met her and she seemed lovely. I've no problem with people signing up to talk to voters, I actually really encourage it. But this is just the worst kind of spam.

/exits argument permanently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Gentlemen, cop on, grow up, and stop with the insults or there'll be bans flying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Aengus (Pres) , Rob (Comms) and Declan (Finance) seem safe as houses, I hope I'm right in that assesment. Seems to be a lot more buzz around these elections than I remember last year. Plenty of mature students asking me today who was worth a vote etc.

I hope our own folks are in with a shout for Welfare and Ents. Welfare is really looking like the most exciting race.

On the nerdy front, design wise: I really like Gavin Bradys main poster. It looks great. Across the board, the standard of design is far, far higher than I remember last year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I hope our own folks are in with a shout for Welfare and Ents. Welfare is really looking like the most exciting race.

Our own folks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Our own folks?

we are the internet.

As in PrivateEye's preferred candidates. They're not some big club :)

Welfare is crazy. I think I like James Boyle's posters the best ;) (I made them, rush job! Words are all his though... Been helping out a few of he candidates design wise) but lydia's are pretty good too.

Some of the manifestos going around are just stupid. Some really good ones too though. Is it Aengus o Maoláin with the smiley face? :) = clever logo!

We're a hypothetical race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Welfare is crazy. I think I like James Boyle's posters the best ;) (I made them, rush job! Words are all his though... Been helping out a few of he candidates design wise) but lydia's are pretty good too.
    eeeeh has anyone seen the ones with the Glee and Feminism references?

I actually LOLed when I seen them:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Liz Murray

AHH! election buzz is back again, great and scary at the same time! nice being able to get feedback from here though. I definetly agree on the Welfare front, anybodies game (hopefully mine?), very exciting all the same xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Does anyone know where the hustings is taking place. Wouldn't mind going for a gooch. There wasn't any location on the email

Common room. There's a list floating around somehwhere, hang on now...

17th Wednesday - President 12:45 -14:15
    17th Wednesday - USI informational talk 6pm - 7:30pm
    18th Thursday - VP Welfare - 12:45 -14:15
    22nd Monday - VP Coms and Dev - 12:45 - 13:45
    23rd Tuesday - Exec - 12:45 - 14:15

There ya go. See you there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

There ya go. See you there!

Thanks very much

Thanks for saying thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Quite the smart idea having it in the common room at lunch time.

That place is always packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Just back from presidential hustings - place was even more packed than usual. Overall the venue worked pretty well, better than the one last year that I helped out at.

Aengus steamrolled the competition TBH - funny answers when he needed them, well structured, coherent answers when he needed them.

Tara...Clarke(?) was pretty good too - kept going on about green week though, could see some people eye-rolling towards the end:P

Other candidates ranged from not-too-bad, to a complete fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the_Meh_Girl

well ya asked for me... here I am.
    Ok my name is Cait, I am 19 years old from Dublin contrary to belief I am not a tit, and I am as qualified for this position as anyone else.
    I was on the Ents Staff in first year, which means most people will know me from selling tickets and promoting events. I worked closely with Stephen Staines and Mike Kelly through out the year, which did include shovelling the sand at the beach party :(... so this is what I have done this is what I hope to do,
    If elected I will:
    - organise monthly SU events where students decide who they want to see.
    - ogranise a shuttle bus service to and from SU events
    - organise more day time events for commuter students
    - Work with Clubs and Societies to promote their events
    - organise inter-collegiate events
    - Have a regular events feature in the Print and an events-news tab on the website.
    - Give the entertainments aspect of the Union back to its members
    -organise themed costume events, for example Superheros and Supervillains night or1950s Greasers V Jocks night, this is just a sample of what I intend to do, and I look forward to seeing everyone at hustings.

as for my facebook which seems to have been a major part of this, I have actually been incredibly busy,as someone has previously mentioned, organising politics week so I gave the page to someone else to run.
    Since Monday I have been in control and if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer,

yes I will admit this page did offend me but it was right for the information people had seen, I would get to know me before personal slandering.

Anyway best of luck in hustings and best of luck this week!

Cait, thanks for signing up and shedding light on the whole 'meh' thing, I love the username! Hope your campaign goes well for you, your ideas are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Cait (or any other ents people knocking about), can I ask a really basic question that popped into my head reading your intentions about monthly SU events and giving the entertainments aspect of the Union back to its members...
    where exactly are the lines between what you can do as an ents officer, and what Shea does in the union? As far as I've always known, Shea has booked acts and decided what way union entertainments are done. So with that in mind, what exactly can the ents officer do? Do you need to get stuff signed off by him, or does he decide what happens and they ye carry it out?
    Just curious like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FreshPrince91

This girl clearly doesn't take herself too seriously and is after getting slated for it... but shouldn't an entertainments candidate be a bit carefree? i was talking to her today, getting a bit of background, she seems to be quite hardworking, doing loadsa work for various organisations, I remember seeing her at a palestine meeting a while back actually with the curly headed chap! I wouldn't write off someone because they started their campaign with the word "meh"... if you actually bother looking for her and talking to her you'll probably walk away at the end satisfied and she'll have a vote secured as has just happened with me :)

This guy actually lives with the girl so its no surprise he was talking to her today. I know youve never been to an anti israeli rally cause ive never seen you at it. also i know you know exactly who "that curly haired" chap is so dont pretend. Pretentious lad indeedicon6.gif im sound laaaaad.

"Be all you can be"

Did you sign up to tell us pointless facts about another user's private life?

No recording of hustings. :(

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Cait, thanks for signing up and shedding light on the whole 'meh' thing, I love the username! Hope your campaign goes well for you, your ideas are very good.

I also love the username :D

I'm hearing that Aengus was pretty good at hustings too.

Note: I am not 'selling' Aengus. I wasn't there, others might also have been good. It's just what I've heard from a number of sources.

I caught the last half hour of Hustings(thank you hot economics tutor for letting us out early).

The 2 candidates who stood out for me were Aengus and Tara Clarke.
    My quick round up:
    Aengus Ó Maoláin: Clearly knows what he's talking about. Highlight of his questioning was him able to name the 24 committees the SU President sits on (and acknowledging it's no good knowing the names without actually attending). Strong, confident speaking and came across as someone who will work for all students.
    Gavin Brady: Good speaker, had a fair grasp of the issues raised in questions and has a definite "likeable" attitude. Had to deflect criticism of his posters that feature naked ladies but faired well overall. Downside, he's seems like "one of the lads" who just decided to have a crack at the big job, for the craic.
    Jason Whelan: Faced some tough questions about his devout Catholicism and it's impact of LGBT and ShAg issues. Felt he fudged a little on these and was probably giving "political" answers rather than his own true beliefs.
    Michelle O Leary: Lifeless, came across as very quiet and shy. No problem really in that sense but it was hard to even hear what she was saying. What I did hear sounded nothing more than merely rhyming off her manifesto points and never really engaging with the question that was asked. Her response when asked "how she would ensure the canteen is finished next year?" was basically "Ah yeah, I asked the guys doing it and they said it'll be sorted mmmmkay."
    Tara Clarke: Very passionate speaker, again, knows her stuff and seems very enthusiastic about the SU and about student involvement. Her major focus was on her credentials as a Green Party/Youth Green member(even if she wanted to claim the Young Greens aren't part of the senior party) and she hammered home her beliefs in making NUIM a "greener" college. Very convincing but perhaps didn't focus on enough issues beyond the environment. ps: you would.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I caught the last half hour of Hustings(thank you hot economics tutor for letting us out early).

The 2 candidates who stood out for me were Aengus and Tara Clarke.
    My quick round up:
    Aengus Ó Maoláin: Clearly knows what he's talking about. Highlight of his questioning was him able to name the 24 committees the SU President sits on (and acknowledging it's no good knowing the names without actually attending). Strong, confident speaking and came across as someone who will work for all students.
    Gavin Brady: Good speaker, had a fair grasp of the issues raised in questions and has a definite "likeable" attitude. Had to deflect criticism of his posters that feature naked ladies but faired well overall. Downside, he's seems like "one of the lads" who just decided to have a crack at the big job, for the craic.
    Jason Whelan: Faced some tough questions about his devout Catholicism and it's impact of LGBT and ShAg issues. Felt he fudged a little on these and was probably giving "political" answers rather than his own true beliefs.
    Michelle O Leary: Lifeless, came across as very quiet and shy. No problem really in that sense but it was hard to even hear what she was saying. What I did hear sounded nothing more than merely rhyming off her manifesto points and never really engaging with the question that was asked. Her response when asked "how she would ensure the canteen is finished next year?" was basically "Ah yeah, I asked the guys doing it and they said it'll be sorted mmmmkay."
    Tara Clarke: Very passionate speaker, again, knows her stuff and seems very enthusiastic about the SU and about student involvement. Her major focus was on her credentials as a Green Party/Youth Green member(even if she wanted to claim the Young Greens aren't part of the senior party) and she hammered home her beliefs in making NUIM a "greener" college. Very convincing but perhaps didn't focus on enough issues beyond the environment. ps: you would.

Savage. Cheers, Mr. goat.
    irish_goat wrote: »
    ps: you would.

I'm still laughing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the_Meh_Girl

Cait (or any other ents people knocking about), can I ask a really basic question that popped into my head reading your intentions about monthly SU events and giving the entertainments aspect of the Union back to its members...
    where exactly are the lines between what you can do as an ents officer, and what Shea does in the union? As far as I've always known, Shea has booked acts and decided what way union entertainments are done. So with that in mind, what exactly can the ents officer do? Do you need to get stuff signed off by him, or does he decide what happens and they ye carry it out?
    Just curious like...

Yeah yeah your right there, which is something that must be addressed is that in the runnings of the SU Shea always has a say, although in saying this I have booked a fairly well known band for the Wednesday of Politics week and found no problem on the running of it.
    Ian and Shea have always been happy for an Ents officer or indeed anyone to run an event in the students union.
    As for the acts at RAG week and other big college events the Ents officer and the team have little or no say to the acts as he is employed as the agent for the college. the Ents officer must just over see the event and work with the staff to promote.
    Normally it is good to have Shea and Ian Russel's backing for these events, but depending on the cause and the success of your event you can easily hold events on the condition they do not clash with Shea's events.
    Hope that explains it! let me know if it does not i'll try again!

Manifesto (finally) designed. It's one of two out of all the candidates' not done in Microsoft Word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I will vote for whoever sorts the toilets out in the SU. They are an absolute disgrace. I was in there today and they were filthy, no toilet roll in half them, the door doesn't work on two of them. There is no soap in any of the FOUR dispensers. The floors were sticky. There's no seats on some of the toilets ffs. I looked in 6 stalls before I found one with toilet roll, a seat and working door. I understand that toilets are not great when there's a bar-ex on, or the SU has been busy the night before or whatever and that it's obviously the fault of the people who use them but at four o clock on a wednesday when there was nothing on in the SU the night before there is NO reason why they shouldn't be clean and with stocked with the necessities and in a useable condition. It's fucking disgusting.

• Advertisement

The men's toilets are grand. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement