Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Election Candidates - Mod Warning post 196

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

To Liz: Will you start from scratch this year, or continue as you're going now.

Liz: THere are loads of things I want to keep going like a student support group, a financhal advice thing (banquo's words here, can't type that fast)

To James: How are you experienced for this job?

James: I've been through a good bit of hardship. I'm not going into a sob story, but I get the grant, broken home, minority group (banquo: I'm paraphrasing) and I'm very familiar with all the facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

You're so handy to have around Rob!
    kind of does lend itself to him being elected.....clearly communicating well now with all of us:D:D

got my vote rob

Anther Q about USI.

Banquo's opinion:

Mark: Seems to know a good bit about the details of fees, grants, and smaller financhal details. Seems to know what he's talking about actually. Says USI is a waste of time.

To Lydia: Opinion on healthcare available to students on campus right now:

Has a history of mental illness in the family (L O ****ING L), aware of the psychiatrist on campus only serves 3 hours a week (we have one? really?) and this causes a lot of backlog. ''As a psychology student, I've been privy to the fact that beginner pyschologists to a load of pro bono work to get their certs and I'd like to get them to do it here.'' (paraphrased, as is everything btw)

Boring question, I forget it already. Any other boardsies here? Me and Nision36 are considering going to get those hot girl's ents posters and put them up in the men's cubicles.

It's over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the_Meh_Girl

That was amazing work Rob
    Work of a true Comms Officer! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Guys,

Just want to know what your opinions are on slating other candidates without provocation?

Just found out another candidate has been leaving negative comments about other candidates on their FB page... Is it just me or is that not on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Would people not vote for a candidate due to their affiliation with a political party? I notice one or two candidates are FFers, instant fail? Or do people not care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Pretty sure mudslinging is a natural part of election, people will resort to ridiculous things in order to get elected.

Last year, before the whole facebook thing took off, there were some absolutely brutal rumours flying about about some of the people running, same as the year before, heck when I was in first year in 2007 and we had to elect first year rep, the amount of abuse that people got thrown at them in relation to stuff they'd heard about the candidates was ridiculous.

I'd always be very skeptical of a candidate who focused their time and energy on slating other candidates and their manifestos etc. Usually it's to distract attention from themselves. Like playground bullying in a way.

At the end of the day, are you going to vote for someone because they had a massive facebook argument with another candidate and created a load of scandal, or are you going to vote for the person who promoted themselves in a positive light and ignored the bullshít around them?

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Would people not vote for a candidate due to their affiliation with a political party? I notice one or two candidates are FFers, instant fail? Or do people not care?

If people were looking for votes based on their political involvement, it'd turn me off anyway. I just feel like too strong a political affiliation could cloud their judgement on what matters most to students.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure mudslinging is a natural part of election, people will resort to ridiculous things in order to get elected.

Last year, before the whole facebook thing took off, there were some absolutely brutal rumours flying about about some of the people running, same as the year before, heck when I was in first year in 2007 and we had to elect first year rep, the amount of abuse that people got thrown at them in relation to stuff they'd heard about the candidates was ridiculous.

I'd always be very skeptical of a candidate who focused their time and energy on slating other candidates and their manifestos etc. Usually it's to distract attention from themselves. Like playground bullying in a way.

At the end of the day, are you going to vote for someone because they had a massive facebook argument with another candidate and created a load of scandal, or are you going to vote for the person who promoted themselves in a positive light and ignored the bullshít around them?

I'm not naming any names but basically I've been searching through one candidate's posts on facebook, both their posts and their status and they just seem to be focusing on insulting other candidates, myself and one other in particular.

I saw his page... yer wan Basia (hot as she may be) is going mental at him about the mystery tour thing on his wall. Other than her lack of coherent spelling and correct punctuation her immature attitude and how she's picking at minor details of his manifesto are putting me off.

She's also been using her statuses to fire insults at other candidates

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Guys,

Just want to know what your opinions are on slating other candidates without provocation?

Just found out another candidate has been leaving negative comments about other candidates on their FB page... Is it just me or is that not on?

Tbh, I think that's going to do her more bad than good. She's making herself look like a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Guys,

If you want to, you can report it to the Returning Officer, think its returningofficer@nuimsu.com
    We had to deal with s**t like this last year too, the candidate will more than likely get a bollickin, and if they continue to smear-campaign, may be thrown out of the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the_Meh_Girl

Guys,

hun don't worry about it, it just shows you are a threat, chin up and carry on!!!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Looks more like a breakdown than a smear campaign, at least on the Pats 4 Ents page. Not fair to do that on another candidates page.

Now, today:

Spotted the Aengus machine out in force again.
    Gavs people were about in good numbers
    and we were quite heavy on the USI front too.

The battle of the chalk continues.

To Lydias folks, cheers for the lovely, lovely cupcakes. great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 circa1990

LeixlipRed wrote: »

dont really think it's a big issue, like practically all the candidates running have some political affiliation. I dont necessarily think its a bad thing that FF have actually decided to get out there tbh, like what have we ever seen of them in the last 3 or 4 years?

As regards Princess_Calico's comment on political affiliations clouding a candidate's judgement, I disagree as most people seem to want to up the whole representative politics side of the SU. The individuals political persuasion is only one opinion, they'll still have to listen to the other 7,499 students' opinions.

Duddy wrote: »
    If you want to, you can report it to the Returning Officer, think its returningofficer@nuimsu.com
    We had to deal with s**t like this last year too, the candidate will more than likely get a bollickin, and if they continue to smear-campaign, may be thrown out of the election.

I really don't want to be seen as petty towards the situation, but I would hate the SU to be let down by someone whose campaign is based on nudity and attacking the other candidates. Like for the rest of us, it is a mature, fair campaign and I really do wish Pat and Cait good luck!

hun don't worry about it, it just shows you are a threat, chin up and carry on!!!
    :D

How come you haven't gotten a b*llicking yet?? :)
    I said it to Pat earlier as well and I really do mean it when I say good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 markdy24

Thanks for the fantastic questions asked this afternoon guys, you had us all on our toes.....and my what a unnerving experience, never knew public speaking could be so amazingly fright enducing, though i wouldnt have missed it for anything....and well done rob on keeping such accurate answering to the questions, quite impressive :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm actually really excited to see Rob at the Hustings next week!!

Would people not vote for a candidate due to their affiliation with a political party? I notice one or two candidates are FFers, instant fail?

Depends what they're running for really.

The big seat for example. If students are under threat from a Fianna Fail government, do we want a member of Ógra Fianna Fail representing us nationally as S.U President? I wouldn't think so. I think it's damaging to the student movement at that level to have too many Ógra Eff-Effers in its ranks at the minute in truth, especially if these people are leading 'Fight Fees' type rallies in the future.

If they ran for President and were open about Fianna Fail membership then thats fair enough, though I'd hope at the minute they wouldn't get too close to the top seat. I don't think, personally, one can pay subs into Fianna Fail and carry placards down O' Connell Street at the same time.

1z5j860.jpg
    Spot the UCD SU President (current)

Running for a position like Ents, or Clubs and Socs or something? Meh, knock yourselves out.

If their being a member of a government party doesn't affect the position, then it shouldn't be a problem in the slightest.

Being in Fianna Fail at the minute seems to be like being in the German Communist Party in 1942 but. You never know do you.

Irish_goat gave a great summary of Presidental Hustings yesterday, anybody at Welfare today and care to do the same? Was running very late from the far end of Dublin to home even, and didn't make it.

PrivateEye wrote: »

Depends what they're running for really.

The big seat for example. If students are under threat from a Fianna Fail government, do we want a member of Ógra Fianna Fail representing us nationally as S.U President? I wouldn't think so. I think it's damaging to the student movement at that level to have too many Ógra Eff-Effers in its ranks at the minute in truth, especially if these people are leading 'Fight Fees' type rallies in the future.

If they ran for President and were open about Fianna Fail membership then thats fair enough, though I'd hope at the minute they wouldn't get too close to the top seat. I don't think, personally, one can pay subs into Fianna Fail and carry placards down O' Connell Street at the same time.

434.jpg

Spot the UCD SU President (current)

Running for a position like Ents, or Clubs and Socs or something? Meh, knock yourselves out.

If their being a member of a government party doesn't affect the position, then it shouldn't be a problem in the slightest.

Being in Fianna Fail at the minute seems to be like being in the German Communist Party in 1942 but. You never know do you ;)

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Just because you affiliate to a political party, doesn't necessarily mean that you fully support every decision they make. They're not idiots.

"paying subs to fianna fail", you make it sound like they're all handing Cowen and Lenihan brown envelopes! Really, this is a bit much!

Also, as much as you say students are under threat by a fianna fail government, i think it would benefit NUIM Students to have a few Ógra FF members on the exec as they're in a better position to get ministers ect to speak on issues like fees that say someone from FEE. Marching with placards is all well and good, but do you not think it's getting a bit old?

And as regards hiding they're affiliation, I don't think any of the FF candidates have, in fact, i don't think they will. But let me ask you this, would you have the same issue with Aengus O'Maoilan hiding his labour affilation or Tara Clarke hiding her affiliation with the Greens or Liz Murray hiding her Sinn Féin persuasions or is it just because certain candidates happen to vote Fianna Fáil? If so, I hardly think that's being just.

The Student Unions have to engage with Ministers, its part of their job. I'd rather not have members of the Youth wing of the Government sitting down to discuss their concerns over fees with Batt O' Keefe.
    Marching with placards is all well and good, but do you not think it's getting a bit old?

Yep, I do actually.

That's why I'm pushing for USI reaffiliation. Student Unions HAVE to sit down with the Government in a real way at the table. Its not up to left-wing campaign groups to do that really in fairness.

Again, it just comes down to who you want to have talking with the Government.
    would you have the same issue with Aengus O'Maoilan hiding his labour affilation

If Labour were in Government and implementing savage cutbacks, then yes.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    The Student Unions have to engage with Ministers, its part of their job. I'd rather not have members of the Youth wing of the Government sitting down to discuss their concerns over fees with Batt O' Keefe.

Again, it just comes down to who you want to have talking with the Government

They have to engage yes, but ministers are much more likely to sit down with people who share the same core beliefs. As regards Batt O'Keefe, I think you'd be hard pushed to find an Ógra FF member who actually doesnt physically spit at the man. I think having some Ógra FF-ers in there would benefit maynooth tbh. I think perhaps you're unwilling to see past the candidates personal voting privelages, which are entirely their own.

I'd have no problem voting a member of Ógra for Ents, Clubs and Socs Officer, Irish Officer etc. In fact, I'm doing so in at least one case of the above.

I think this comes down to the matter of who we want representing us nationally.
    ministers are much more likely to sit down with people who share the same core beliefs

The Minister is obligied to sit down with USI and Student Unions, be the student representative on the far side of the table Labour, Sinn Féin, DUP or the Peoples Front of Judeua.

@privateeye, welfare hustings are back a few pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

The dirty tricks are already starting, seen a group of girls taking certain posters and leaflets off tables and binning them, wish I knew who was telling them to do that :mad:

• Advertisement

Take a pic and report them. I've no time for that ****e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement