Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Id for J1

Options
  • 26-01-2010 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey,
    I am thinking about going on a J1 this summer in LA. I am 21 but I have read that in some places they wont accept anything that doesnt have you height and eye colour on your id so that will rule out my driving licence, passport and age card.

Is there any id I can get that would have this information on it? Could I get a learners permit while im over there just that I would just use for my id? Would this be expensive? Like I hold a full Irish driving licence so I wouldnt have any intension of actually sitting a test, I only want this for id.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

While they are sometimes not used to foregin passports, they are accepted everywhere as far as I know; I never had trouble with using mine anyway, and my greencard doesn't havre height or eyecolour. If you are planning on staying longer than a month, and driving, you might look into getting an international drivers license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I've run into a few places that have trouble taking passports, its a bit of a pain. Most places won't take drivers licences. You can apply for a Californian ID, it doesn't take long but it doesn't let you drive, you gotta do the theory test and drivers test for that. You can get info at:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#idcard

I think it costs about $30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Being to many bars in LA last summer - passport will be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I've heard of people using a photocopy of their passports because they don't want to risk losing them. Would this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

fitz0 wrote: »
    I've heard of people using a photocopy of their passports because they don't want to risk losing them. Would this work?
    Depends on the bouncer/bar obviously but I'm thinking no since it's so easy to fake.
    I spent the summer in Boston in 2007 and it was passport or Massachusetts driving licence only.
    They're very strict over there and ID people that are obviously over 21.

• Advertisement

How hard is a driving license to get over there? I don't have one here, can't really drive at all. I'm over 21 though so if have to bring my passport so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Not a chance! In LA you would be fine - not many J1ers around which can creates suspicion amongst the bar owners. For example i was in Ocean Beach San Diego last year (small area with dozens of J1ers) and i had to bring passport and driving licence to bar/off licence. All the bars know the Irish J1ers are around and trying to get served. You won't get this in LA.

What about Chicago?

Seriously guys the easiest and safest thing is to get a state ID, the californian link is up above. For other states just go to the states DMV website. Type it in in google and you'll get the site then look for drivers Licences/ID cards and you can see how to do it. Its really easy and probably worth it instead of bringing your passport everywhere!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

How hard is a driving license to get over there? I don't have one here, can't really drive at all. I'm over 21 though so if have to bring my passport so be it.
    For California residents, getting a driver's license is a piece of cake, when compared to the pain of getting one in Ireland. The driver's multiple-guess fill-in-the-bubble exam is silly simple, and if you have the foggest notion on how to operate a vehicle in accord with their rules-of-the-road, you can pass it with little worry. Also, there are DMV license issuing offices that are easier to pass than others. For example, if you go to the vacation and retirement city of Palm Springs in the dead of summer on a weekday, when it's 48C, you will find a sleepy staff on hand, whom will be more interested in getting back to their air conditioned offices than supervising a driving exam in the extreme heat. Plus, many of the residents there are very old and retired, and they are very flexible in terms of passing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

The rules for driving licences vary from state to state. Many (most?) states now require 'proof of lawful status' to get a driving licence - i.e. they are using it as a way of preventing illegal immigrants getting established. In Texas you need to have at least six months left on your visa (link) before they will give you a driving licence or ID.

I've never had a problem using my passport to buy alcohol (I'm 26). My local liquor store also has a speciality food section and they will not sell anything to someone under 21. I needed my passport to buy cheese and crisps last week!!

Yeah but its really unsafe carrying your passport everywhere! One of my friends had hers stolen in NYC two years ago and we were flying to California 2 days after that. It was very tight and very difficult. Not only was her passport gone but so was her visa and departing card. She couldn't get a social security number because of this. I really think its worth getting a US id if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Yeah but its really unsafe carrying your passport everywhere! One of my friends had hers stolen in NYC two years ago and we were flying to California 2 days after that. It was very tight and very difficult. Not only was her passport gone but so was her visa and departing card. She couldn't get a social security number because of this. I really think its worth getting a US id if you can.

I agree that if you can get a US driving licence / ID that is the way to go. The OP is only going for a summer J1 so, depending on the state, they may not be eligible for one.

Some DMVs are also more efficient than others. I arrived in Texas in Sept, passed the written test in Nov and the driving test on Dec 3rd at which stage they gave me a temporary licence. I still haven't got my real licence and the temp one has no photo so it's no good as ID. According to their website the have a new computer system and 'are experiencing some difficulties'!!

That's pretty crap. At least for some people though, if they don't need a licence they can just apply for an ID card and they won't have to go through the whole driving test and written test. It'll cut some time off!

Hope you get your licence soon lonestargirl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Be prepared to be asked for ID everywhere, although that said I went out twice before I turned 21 and didn't get asked for ID :) And numerous times since I haven't been asked for ID, even went to a liquor store and didn't get asked for ID but another time I went to a beer distributor and they photocopied my passport and made me fill out a big form to say that I was over 21, so it really depends on where you go. Also if there's someone under 21 with you they may not serve you even if it's at the dinner table.

The only acceptable form of ID here is a State ID, State Driver's licence, Military ID or Foreign Passport. If you can get State ID do it, it'll make life easier, I'm here for 11months but to get State ID I need to have a year left on my visa so I have being carrying my passport with me everywhere I go, just take the I-94 slip out and be careful not to lose it. That being said I've had my driver's licence accepted here and also rejected, and I've had my Garda ID accepted, in fact I've been told that they're more likely to accept the new Garda ID than our driver's licence, it looks more legit!! But they're not obliged to accept either of them.

They're really anal and uptight about alcohol here and as a result most American's drink belligerently once they're over 21 (worse than the Irish IMHO).

Advertisement