Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoton prescription - filled in Spain?

Options
  • 26-01-2010 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all.

Just like some advice. I have a hiatus hernia and take Zoton for it.

Just got a new prescription from my consultant St. James Hospital for another six months.

Now by chance it happens I am going to Spain at the end of the week. I was thinking if I could get the prescription filled there it would be cheaper.

If I went into a Spanish pharmacy with a prescription form an Irish hospital would they give me the Zoton (or Spanish equivalent) or would they insist I visit a Spanish doctor as well to get a Spanish prescription?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Quite alot of medications that require a prescription in Ireland can be bought over the counter in Spain. Perhaps you could somehow check if Zoton is one of those meds and then you wouldn't have to worry about a prescription.

I know a couple of people who are prescribed Losec who buy several packs over the counter when they're on holidays in Spain as it's cheaper. I think Losec belongs to the same class of drug as you mention so you might be in luck.

I hope nothing Ive said there is in breach of the rules of this forum. If it is then please delete mods and sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Yes you wont need ur prescription in spain just the dose of the drug & how many times you take it if they dont have that brand they will give you spanish equivalant

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

I suffered with a hiatus hernia and was on zoton a few years ago.. went to gran canaria on holidays and managed to get some over the counter, that was back in 2003 or 2004. so its defo worth a try when your out there.. i would bring some with you just incase tho.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

If you've got a prescription, bring it.
    Laws DO change from time to time; you used to be able to buy antibiotics without a script in Spain, now you can't.
    I don't know if they have changed it regarding Lansoprazole (the name of the active ingredient in Zoton) or not, but better not to take the chance.

As a result of an EU directive, Spanish, German, Greek etc etc etc scripts ARE valid in Ireland and have been for about 6 years now. However, the same directive was only implemented in Northern Ireland last year. I don't know if they've implemented it in Spain yet, but if they have, your Irish script will be valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Can you guys then tell me what the EU health card is for? It's a pale-dark blue in colour with light-blue trimmings.

....Wait, I answered my own question: http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=559&langId=en

Kevin

• Advertisement

Kevster wrote: »
    Can you guys then tell me what the EU health card is for? It's a pale-dark blue in colour with light-blue trimmings.

....Wait, I answered my own question: http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=559&langId=en

Kevin

As the site says, it entitles you to get the same treatment as a local would get, be it GPs, medicines or hospital treatment.
    If you're in an EEA country where all that is free for natives, then you get it for free too.
    If you're in a country where people have to pay for (say) GP visits, then you have to pay.
    An exception is if you actually travel with the intention of getting treatment.
    In the case of Ireland, where some people have to pay and some don't, EEA visitors with an EHIC are treated as if they had a medical card (ie they don't have to pay).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ronanr

Well, I went to Spain. It only cost me 22 euro for a months supply.

The pharmacists there had no problem with the prescription but I ended up getting only one months supply (this was due to forgetting to bring the prescription with me until a Saturday morning - the pharmacist had only a months supply left, and all the other pharmacies were shut from midday Saturday on).

So now I will have to buy my lanzoprazole in Ireland.

Somebody told me that a generic called ByLans was the cheapest available.

I went to Boots to ask for it when my months supply from Spain ran out. They didn't have it - they had a generic called "Zomel" though.

It was only a little cheaper than Zoton however -38 Euro for a months supply.

So my next question is:

Does anyone know has any pharmacist in Dublin that carries Bylans or cheaper Zomel?

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Ronanr wrote: »
    Well, I went to Spain. It only cost me 22 euro for a months supply.

The pharmacists there had no problem with the prescription but I ended up getting only one months supply (this was due to forgetting to bring the prescription with me until a Saturday morning - the pharmacist had only a months supply left, and all the other pharmacies were shut from midday Saturday on).

So now I will have to buy my lanzoprazole in Ireland.

Somebody told me that a generic called ByLans was the cheapest available.

I went to Boots to ask for it when my months supply from Spain ran out. They didn't have it - they had a generic called "Zomel" though.

It was only a little cheaper than Zoton however -38 Euro for a months supply.

So my next question is:

Does anyone know has any pharmacist in Dublin that carries Bylans or cheaper Zomel?

Thanks for any advice.

Well Ronanr Zomel is the cheapset here the chemist buys this for €19 sells it for € 38

an even better option if you knew anyone going to Turkey the zoton (turkish brand) would be even cheaper than spain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

get the bus to the north where they accept Irish prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

the second option is probably the best one if you just want it as cheap as you can get it

• Advertisement

bob50 wrote: »
    Well Ronanr Zomel is the cheapset here the chemist buys this for €19 sells it for € 38

Bob,
    I'm a locum pharmacist.
    I've worked in over 100 different pharmacies in Ireland, and a handful in Scotland.
    I've NEVER worked in a pharmacy that doubles the cost price to decide the selling price.
    Most add on ~50% plus a fee, which will probably vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. This information is no great secret, it's been posted on boards.ie several times before.
    You posted once before claiming that pharmacies double the cost, and I asked you to do some research. I ask the same again.
    L-M.

Advertisement