Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving UPC,advice please?

• 26-01-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

Am paying €60 every 2 months for a 3mb with vodafone,thinking of getting the 5mb for €22 a month.

Just wondering is the upc broadband any good?also I have 2 wireless routers at home.1 I got when I was with eicom,and 1 I got with vodafone.

Just wondering is their anyway to get either ofthese to work with upc if I go for it as they dont supply a wireless router on the 5mb package.

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

I moved to the UPC 15MB package almost a month ago now and its been perfect so far, with pretty much full download and upload speeds and no time time or anything like that....such a difference from when I was with Eircom. I would definitely recommend moving to them based on my experience with them in the past few weeks. I can't really help you too much on the router issue though, sorry. You could chance it and try ring them and ask for a free one cause they supply them with every other package afaik, and they were pretty easy to persuade when I was on the phone to them so you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

a Lot of people are having problems with UPC since they increased their speeds, have a look. But as regards wireless router, you will be able to use the existing ones you have

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055764097

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've been with UPC for 4 months now, and still no issues. Some areas do seem to be having problems since the recent upgrade though, but my 20Mbps is still running fine. Speed does vary, but it's still good.

The routers you have are DSL modems, and although you can use them with cable, they won't be routers. All they'll be is a wireless switch. They shouldn't be used.

What make and models are the ones you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    We all know UPC read these boards.

UPC these are your customers answer us.

On Digitalspy Sky set up a thread to talk to their subscribers.

694733153.png

After midnight now that's pathetic.

If UPC won't come on here an answer us there are going to do themselves damage.

Pretending there is no problem is causing more problems.

Without any offical word from UPC on this matter I would advise people to avoid UPC Broadband at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The OP has been pointed to the UPC problems thread, we don't need to duplicate the posts here. He can read that, and make up his own mind.

jor el wrote: »
    The OP has been pointed to the UPC problems thread, we don't need to duplicate the posts here. He can read that, and make up his own mind.

I am having trouble making up mine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ranicand2 wrote: »
    We all know UPC read these boards.

UPC these are your customers answer us.

On Digitalspy Sky set up a thread to talk to their subscribers.

694733153.png

After midnight now that's pathetic.

If UPC won't come on here an answer us there are going to do themselves damage.

Pretending there is no problem is causing more problems.

Without any offical word from UPC on this matter I would advise people to avoid UPC Broadband at all costs.

UPC dont give two hoots about their customers and that has been the way since they took over. Customers are there for UPC's convenience and sadly anyone who believes otherwise ignores ample evidence.

dub45 wrote: »
    UPC dont give two hoots about their customers and that has been the way since they took over. Customers are there for UPC's convenience and sadly anyone who believes otherwise ignores ample evidence.

I know how Ice customers feel now.

Ranicand2 wrote: »
    Any chance of making this thread a sticky like the ICE Broadband thread and leave it there and only remove it if and when this problem is solved.

Please I know how Ice customers feel now.

Edit I mean the thread I started.

If you read the original post in this thread it is from someone looking for advice not a upc complaints thread

• Advertisement

If you read the original post in this thread it is from someone looking for advice not a upc complaints thread
    Read my edit sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

1.D-Link Model: DSL-2640b

2. Netopia Model:3347wg

3.Vodafone Bewan Model:ARV4510PW-A VF1

Thanks...

If I change over to UPC and don't get anywhere near the speed I'm paying for can I cancel irregardless of the contract? I mean is there something like a cooling off or trial period? What rights do I have?

If I change over to UPC and don't get anywhere near the speed I'm paying for can I cancel irregardless of the contract? I mean is there something like a cooling off or trial period? What rights do I have?
    you have 7 days in which you can cancel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

i got 30mb off upc on tuesday and i know you wont ever get 30mb especially wireless but im averaging 23-24bm wireless since , now thats the reading im getting from speettest.net but when i download files trough my iternet download manager for instance 4 files downloading together im getting each one at minimum 750Kb/sec which x 4 is 3Mb a sec download which for me is fantastic so dont always believe the speedtest.net site

i just wanted the speed for download , browsing is v fast also

upload speed is v fast also

so in 3 days id recommend it alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

i got 30mb off upc on tuesday and i know you wont ever get 30mb especially wireless but im averaging 23-24bm wireless since , now thats the reading im getting from speettest.net but when i download files trough my iternet download manager for instance 4 files downloading together im getting each one at minimum 750Kb/sec which x 4 is 3Mb a sec download which for me is fantastic so dont always believe the speedtest.net site

i just wanted the speed for download , browsing is v fast also

upload speed is v fast also

so in 3 days id recommend it alot

I would say you should wait until your 7 days period in which you can cancel is over and then keep any eye on it.
    I also joined recently , first 2 weeks were like a dream getting full 15Mb all the time then it all started in week 3… I get 12Mb in the morning from 7AM and it starts to go slowly down. By 5PM I’m down to 8Mb then come 8-9PM I’m barely getting 4Mb. then max 3-4Mb until midnight.
    BTW, I don’t download anything . I use VPN , web browsing and maybe once or twice a week watch something on RTEPlayer.

I would say you should wait until your 7 days period in which you can cancel is over and then keep any eye on it.
    I also joined recently , first 2 weeks were like a dream getting full 15Mb all the time then it all started in week 3… I get 12Mb in the morning from 7AM and it starts to go slowly down. By 5PM I’m down to 8Mb then come 8-9PM I’m barely getting 4Mb. then max 3-4Mb until midnight.
    BTW, I don’t download anything . I use VPN , web browsing and maybe once or twice a week watch something on RTEPlayer.
    Are you in Dublin? I'm thinking all you guys with problems are in Dublin where it's more populous and contention is worse? Or am I talking s**te?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Keanu Uninterested Van, yes I'm in Dublin. Yes you are correct there is a lot to do with contention..

Are you in Dublin? I'm thinking all you guys with problems are in Dublin where it's more populous and contention is worse? Or am I talking s**te?

guys from Cork and Limerick have been having problems too

guys from Cork and Limerick have been having problems too
    :(

• Advertisement

But I am sure UPC are going to sort this out. I would still recommend them, when it is working properly it is great. Customer service and information leave a lot to be desired though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've had upc 20mbps (recently upgrade to 30mbps) since november 2008 and on the whole it's been fine aside from a few bumps in the road, i'm a lot happier than i was with BT on their 7mbps package.

that siad, it has gone down from time to time and the problem there is that the upc phoneline goes down too, but as long as you have a mobile phone, that's not even that big of a deal really.

there were some issues with the speed upgrades this month for me when they moved me to 30mbps but (after i emailed them back on the upgrade email address) they called me and said they were working on it and gave me the option of moving back to 20mbps whilst they fixed it, but i stayed on the 30mbps and the speed issues were fixed within a couple of weeks as they'd promised.

699613911.png
    bear in mind i'm also torrenting right now too, so it should be higher than that. :)

overall, i can recommend them compared to other irish ISP's and with another speed increase coming in august (30mbps to 60mbps and the option of 120mbps), nobody else in ireland will be able to offer anything close to them.

Advertisement