Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you read?

Options
  • 26-01-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what/if anyone reads, in the line of Gaming magazines, whether console specific or the more general gaming culture ones like Edge etc.
    Good tech magazines in general could also be mentioned!

I'll pick up the odd copy of Games TM, cause I think their reviews are mainly honest, and I like some of the columnists. Other than randomly picking up PCGamer and Edge when I'm stuck for something to read on a lunch break, that;s about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Most gaming magazine are p!ss, just tabloids focusing on games. I've always found Edge to be a good read though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Tbh, I don't see the point in magazines for gaming, when you can get it all free and up to date on the interwebz. As well as that, I find you'll get more interesting and involving info on the web from people with genuine interests in gaming, rather than some moron like the people on the OXM or inside xbox, who despite their best intentions, come across like knobheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Edge. Fantastic magazine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retrogamer is the only magazine I'd go out of my way to buy. Other than that it's all online sites. 1up for me is rather good, I trust them and the reviews are short and sweet. I read the retronauts and the grind blogs. Also visit jeremy parishes gamespite website and hardcore gaming 101 when they update with articles. Read some eurogamer for news but the reviews can't be trusted except for one or two reviewers. As much as I hate his views kieron gillen is great for digging up excellent indie games along with Oli Welsh. Anything by Ellie Gibson on the site is also well worth a read, she's by far the best games journalist around. If I had spare time I'd read Kotaku a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Retro Gamer's all I read too, there was a time when I'd buy pretty much everything (Nintendo Magazine System, Sega Magazine, CVG, Mean Machines, that era) but soon after Sega's departure from the console market my interest started to wane (I don't think that was the cause). I wasn't reading any magazines until I discovered RG about three years ago.

If I'm really bored I might pick up a copy of Official Nintendo Magazine; the writing's a little light but it's the only title on the shelves that I actually recognize. Well, that and Edge, but I'm one of those Edge haters who thinks the magazine is too full of itself. But that's a debate for another thread, just saying where my loyalties do and don't lie.

I keep hearing things about Games TM, I might pick that up instead of ONM next time but I can't honestly see myself buying anything other than RG regularly again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

i used to get PSW all the time but i haven't bought a magazine in around 4-5 years. i just stick to the web now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I used to always buy Gamesmaster years ago, but stopped buying it. I usually read the Retro Gamer mag in the shop, but I never buy it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

I'm the same as atavan-halen, I used to buy GM every month and CVG before it stopped. I read everything on the web now, its just much easier tbh. I get all the up to date news, I remember during the final few months of me getting GM, I had read about the stuff in it before the mag came out thanks to the net, so its just much easier to read game sites.

And tbh I try and stay away from reviews of games that I know I'll get because I want the experience to be brand new. I don't want someone else telling me whats in the game before I have the chance to play it. I usually just check out games on metacritic and read the snippets of the reviews on there to get a gist of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I dont like many of the Gaming mags, simply because forums provide me with the info I want/interested in. If I hear a game is coming out, I can easily search google for the info.

That said, there is one magazine that I love, Click magazine.
    Games, Movies, tech/gadgets and interviews, it costs 3.50 and its Irish :D
    Nice little mag to read during lunch break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Famitsu. Apart from the fact that it's all I can find here, it's multiformat and great value.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i get edge about once every 2 months though not for the reviews. im often curious to see which company are their current favourite flavour in that regard. halo 3 10/10 lol... but they had been licking bungees holes for a good 6 months previous at the time so halo 3 was always going to get that score. its funny to see the patterns. they do good editorials, articles and news though. online... dunno, boards.ie? :confused: gamespot is still a monster of a site and pretty good for info. reviews arent really that important for me anymore, i know if ill like a game before i get it. i havent really come across anything that i really enjoy reading about games online except for other peoples discussions on them and that sorta thing. if there was a good once a week shortish blog id read that i suppose, something cynical and a bit more on the ball and with depth but thats pretty difficult to find

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Printwise, only Edge. It is sufficiently more in-depth than most of its online competition. The opinion pieces and 'Time Extended' sections in particular provide refreshingly intelligent and thoughtful commentary, something that is sometimes tricky to find elsewhere. I also like their reviews, and even when they get it wrong (Halo 3!) they generally at least have an interesting argument to back it up. It is one of the few publications that takes gaming seriously, and doesn't try to dumb it down.

Online, Kotaku is my main site for news etc... Has a bit of character, and while they do push it sometimes (the Scribblenauts 'Sambo' controversy they tried to conjure up was ridiculous, and the good commentators tend to get drowned out by morons) I never feel the need to check out news sites regularly. Plus I like their concise review style, and their focus on the Japanese industry as well as the Western news helps a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Usually stick to online only, but if I'm bored in an airport I'd pick up a copy of gamestm or Edge.

I remember buying my first ever games magazine, CVG (in 1991, still have it!).
    Used to love getting it, that and NMS (Nintendo Magazine System) but haven't bought any over the last few years.

Is CVG still going? Haven't seen it much in shops (when I'd have a quick glance over the shelves).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

GamesTM. It's an amazing mag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I still pick up PC Gamer & PC Zone out of habit more than anything else . . . there are plenty of great free gaming news sites out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

PSM3.

I love their extended play section, they usually revisit an old classic or two.

No one can really say they use the mags for news though, I am sure we all recognise 95% of the news articles in any mag from weeks ago but I guess presentation, critical judgement and like-minded opinions are what really matter when making the choice nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I used to buy GamesMaster years ago, then switched to PCZone. Spent a fortune on them actually. M last issue was around Christmas 2006 I think. There's no real point anymore now that I spend so much time online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Gamesmaster was the first games magazine I ever bought, back in the mid 90s. These days, I pick up Edge, GamesTM (sometimes confusing the two, even though the writing in Edge is better!) and Retro Gamer when I'm about to get on a plane. They're pricey, but a decent article or two will often convince me to buy them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I dont really buy game mags anymore,but when I do on the rare occasion I buy either pc zone or pc gamer.Edge is a good read alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i dont buy any mags on principle as we pay twice the price as the north for mags!!!its a disgrace tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Printwise, only Edge. It is sufficiently more in-depth than most of its online competition. The opinion pieces and 'Time Extended' sections in particular provide refreshingly intelligent and thoughtful commentary, something that is sometimes tricky to find elsewhere. I also like their reviews, and even when they get it wrong (Halo 3!) they generally at least have an interesting argument to back it up. It is one of the few publications that takes gaming seriously, and doesn't try to dumb it down.

Online, Kotaku is my main site for news etc... Has a bit of character, and while they do push it sometimes (the Scribblenauts 'Sambo' controversy they tried to conjure up was ridiculous, and the good commentators tend to get drowned out by morons) I never feel the need to check out news sites regularly. Plus I like their concise review style, and their focus on the Japanese industry as well as the Western news helps a lot.

I agree.

EDGE has no equivalent on the internet. I like Eurogamer, if only to cancel out the Japanese/American bias of Kotaku.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Edge and Develop are the two print mags I read regularly. Usually filled with great content and are often quite tough on titles despite the amount of hype behind them. It also works the other way too however as when they give some games high reviews it's usually within context and for good reason.

Online I peruse Eurogamer for general reviews and the often interesting Digital Foundry section, as well as Kotaku for news delivered in a more light hearted fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Printwise, only Edge. It is sufficiently more in-depth than most of its online competition. The opinion pieces and 'Time Extended' sections in particular provide refreshingly intelligent and thoughtful commentary, something that is sometimes tricky to find elsewhere.

The Time Extended articles are my favourite part of Edge. They did a "File" collection of important reviews from times past a year or two ago, that was excellent. I wish they'd release a similar collection of the Time Extended articles!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I stick with RockPaperShotgun blog which is very good imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Is CVG still going? Haven't seen it much in shops (when I'd have a quick glance over the shelves).

Nah. It's online only these days, but I think they still do "specials" now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Ya, when Future Publishing took over CVG they stopped making it as they also made GamesMaster at the time. Since both magazines were both targeted at a young audience, they didn't see the point in publishing both so they stuck with the one that had higher sales (GM). CVG did do a special about a year ago I think.

Advertisement