Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Ireland in a worse economic position than UK ?

• 26-01-2010 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

I'm no economist, I know as much about economics as the average taxi driver (I'm not a taxi driver either)

So we're running up a deficit of 20billion a year, sounds like a lot to me

Is it a worse deficit per capita than the UK ? (I cant seem to find out what the UK projected deficit is going to be)

Is our annual deficit as a % of GDP worse than the UKs ?

Is there any country in the world with a worse annual deficit to GDP than us ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Algernon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

For your viewing pleasure.

GGD2010.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Économiste Monétaire, when was this data plotted? The above chart shows a marked increase in the Irish deficit in 2010 and no improvement from that in 2011. Other commentary seemed to suggest that the pay cuts etc. would stabilise the 2010 deficit around the 2009 figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

It was plotted today, when I pressed the graph button :pac:. The data comes from the latest excessive deficit procedure reporting two months ago. The GDP forecasts are from Eurostat based on information available last month. GGDs aren't equivalent to the 'Exchequer deficit', which counts things like the Anglo bailout money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Should we not include the NAMA debt in this graph (I assume it was left out). I know it's not included in government accounts but it is still government debt that has to be repaid by tax revenue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement