Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garmin europe map update available 2010.30

Options
  • 26-01-2010 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

the newest european garmin map is available to download, downloaded it at the weekend city nav europe 2010.30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

cool. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Bogman here, username and password issue since hacking of site

Make sure you have plenty free space on your device installing this other wise you will be given an option telling you "that your device does not have sufficient memory to download all the maps due to their increased features and asks me to select from quite a long list of maps which map you want to install. This list includes UK and Ireland, Central Europe, Portugal and Spain, etc"

I got rid of all the voices I did not need and it installed perfectly the 2nd time, slow install by the way
    Charles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

If space is likely to be a problem, the full maps can be installed on your computer. You can then install just the maps you need, and add more later using Mapsource.

I don't see much advantage of cluttering up a satnav with maps of Finland or Albania unless you're likely to find yourself driving there at very short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

sesswhat wrote: »
    If space is likely to be a problem, the full maps can be installed on your computer. You can then install just the maps you need, and add more later using Mapsource.

I don't see much advantage of cluttering up a satnav with maps of Finland or Albania unless you're likely to find yourself driving there at very short notice.

I updated the maps last night for the first time since I got my SatNav in 2008 and got the message re the space so I installed UK and Ireland only.

However, when I looked at some at the POIs that I had saved in Italy last year, the mapping was still there. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a built-in base map for all of Europe, that is very, very basic. Maybe you were seeing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I updated the maps last night for the first time since I got my SatNav in 2008 and got the message re the space so I installed UK and Ireland only.

However, when I looked at some at the POIs that I had saved in Italy last year, the mapping was still there. Why is that?
    Are you sure it isn't just the base mapping, ie major roads only?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Are you sure it isn't just the base mapping, ie major roads only?

Thanks for the quick answers.

So if I was returning this year, I would really need to install the updated map for Italy.

Presumably, I could install it alongside UK & Ireland? Or would I have to uninstall and then reinstall again after I return?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

What model Garmin do you have?

Can you check something for me?
    Go To: Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info

... and tell us what maps are loaded.

Thanks for the quick answers.

So if I was returning this year, I would really need to install the updated map for Italy.

Presumably, I could install it alongside UK & Ireland? Or would I have to uninstall and then reinstall again after I return?

You can add extra map data as you need it. However try not to add the same map section twice.

Italy will not take up too much memory. If there was room originally for all of Europe then there should be no need to remove anything first.

You can add extra map data as you need it. However try not to add the same map section twice.

Italy will not take up too much memory. If there was room originally for all of Europe then there should be no need to remove anything first.

I had a go at adding extra map data and it worked OK.

MrMac , I have a Nuvi 265.
    Map Info: CN Europe NT2010.30
    Maps installed (now): UK & Ire plus 12 Italian regions.

Thanks to everyone for their help. This is a great forum.

• Advertisement

That doesn't seem to make any difference. When I first installed this update., I chose just the UK and Ireland, but later used Mapsource to add large parts of Europe as well, but didn't exclude UK and Ireland in that selection.

I notice on my nuvi now that I have "UK and Ireland" and the other maps as two separate map regions in the Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info section, and also see two separate .img files, gmapprom.img for the UK and Ireland and gmapsupp.img for the rest. So it looks like Mapsource recognized that I already had UK and Ireland on the unit and didn't upload it again.

Alun wrote: »
    I notice on my nuvi now that I have "UK and Ireland" and the other maps as two separate map regions in the Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info section

Hello Alun, what is the second map region called? It's just that I've seen where mapsource installed a second copy in gmapsupp even where maps were already installed in gmapprom. Everything worked normally but obviously it defeated the whole purpose of saving space? Maybe this behavior has changed now.

I suppose one way to be sure would be to do the same thing without selecting UK and Ireland and see if the resulting gmapsupp.img file ended up the same size.

The first one is just called "UK & Ireland", named, I assume by the installation program itself. The second one, installed from Mapsource, is rather unhelpfully named "GRAZ, OSTERREICH, SANKT POLTEN, OSTERREEICH, LINZ, ..." Mapsource just names maps by the (truncated) name of all the map segments you select, in some order or another, unless you rename the map set yourself before uploading it.

Unfortunately you can't independently deselect the second one from the user interface on the nuvi .. it groups them together as one item under the heading "CN Europe NT 2010.30", so I can't actually determine by that method whether the UK and Ireland maps are effectively in there twice.

However, if I connect the GPS up to Mapsource and "receive" the maps, it shows all the selected segments (including UK and Ireland), and reports a total map size that's almost (but not quite) equal to the size of the gmapsupp.img file, so maybe you're right, and it duplicates them which would be pretty stupid. I'm tempted to delete the gmapprom.img file and rename gmapsupp.img to gmapprom.img and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Gunnersonny

Did the fist update during the week after having Garmin for 3 years. Got loads of new roads. Do these updates happen regularly? How long till the add the new section of the M6 in Galway?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Got loads of new roads. Do these updates happen regularly?
    Generally every 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Would the newest maps have the roads at Dublin airport that are being worked on? It tells me to go through roundabouts where there isn't any.:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can browes Navteq maps here

Advertisement