Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Grinds

Options
  • 26-01-2010 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi everybody.

I am a French tutor looking to improve the way I teach French to my junior cert and leaving cert students. so if you could take a few minutes to try and answer these questions i would be very grateful:

1. Name of your French book in school?

2. If you had the choice between

a/ a year long revision course (that would require you to attend classes once a week for about 28 weeks) and

b/ Two 6 weeks intensive revison courses (one 6 weeks revision course before the xmas exams and another 6 weeks revision course right before the junior cert or leaving cert exam) which one would you chose and why.

3. What are the areas of French you feel you need most help in?

4. Would you do French grinds on Sundays?

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Mosaic, we don't use it though so i don't fully know how good it really is.

a/ a year long revision course (that would require you to attend classes once a week for about 28 weeks) and

b/ Two 6 weeks intensive revison courses (one 6 weeks revision course before the xmas exams and another 6 weeks revision course right before the junior cert or leaving cert exam) which one would you chose and why.

A/ I'd probably study more throughout the year that way, the other way i'd sorta forget about it. also would feel more immersed in the language.

Irregular verbs....just havent really learnt them all in all their tenses.
    Random Grammer...

Yes, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 obrien12

Thanks a lot for that crow92!

Any other views would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

obrien12 wrote: »
    Hi everybody.

I am a French tutor looking to improve the way I teach French to my junior cert and leaving cert students. so if you could take a few minutes to try and answer these questions i would be very grateful:

1. Name of your French book in school? Mosaic and i think it's a great book covers everything. Also have Bien Dit and Toute a l'écoute(which might not be spelt right:o)

a/ a year long revision course (that would require you to attend classes once a week for about 28 weeks)

Oh tough one both are good but i'd prefer a class a week because i'd be working throughout the year on improving my french instead of cramming it in and getting stressed.

For me it's the opinion questions, i think i just need to cover more topics to feel comfortable.

Yeah probably easier than on the weekdays because you're more relaxed and not focusing on what homework/study you have to do and you'll be less tired, if that makes any sense.
    Thank you for your help!

Hope that helped

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

1. mosaique...we never use it

2(a) if one chose b how could they study any other subject??

3. Vocabulary, I have a big problem understanding texts.

4. yes I would do them depends on the time of day I couldn't do evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

We use a variety; Bien Dit for Oral work, Grammar Pour Tout le Monde for, uh, grammar, Francais Plus magazines for general work and exam papers for journal Q's.

Depending on how busy I am, I'd probably pick option a) because it's less stressed and you're more focused.

Grammar, definitely.

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 obrien12

Thanks everybody!

Just a point of clarification re the 6 weeks course it would only be once a week (2 hours) for 6 weeks.

Any other replies welcome!

Advertisement