Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a hostel in Sydney

Options
  • 26-01-2010 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Arriving on the 8th February. Would like to hear some recommendations on a hostel to stay for my first few nights in the city.

Ideally I'd love a place where its easy to meet fellow travellers (as I dont know anyone in the city) and also in a good location to do the touristy things.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

themacman wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Arriving on the 8th February. Would like to hear some recommendations on a hostel to stay for my first few nights in the city.

Ideally I'd love a place where its easy to meet fellow travellers (as I dont know anyone in the city) and also in a good location to do the touristy things.

Thanks in advance

Wake Up! Central is a pretty decent spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Wake Up and YHA Central are both very good and very clean.

Wake Up is better if you are into partying, they arrange/go to boozecruises and have Sidebar which does cheap food as well. But be warned, you'll be woken in the morning with by the sound of a fake happy-chappy to tell you "Wake up, Wake up, Wake up" - but if that won't bother you go for it.

I found the staff at Wake Up a bit OTT but fine. The staff at YHA are very nice.

Anyway I'd recommend both and both are located across from Central Station so you can't get more central than that.

Basically if you want to have a few drinks go to Wake Up, quieter night go to YHA.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lloyd Xmas

I stayed in Base Backpackers for around a month just there before Xmas...

Location wise, its perfect... Darling Harbour, Opera House, Harbour Bridge are all only a short distance away, and as well as that, Town Hall train station is two minute walk accross the road. From here, you can catch the train to Bondi Beach, or all the way to the fabulous Blue Mountains if its scenery your after.

There's a variety of dorms to choose from, from 4 bed to 8 bed; however its very easy to meet people and the chances are, at least a couple of people from your room will be heading down to the adjoining bar for a few each night.

One downside is that the internet is a rip-off at around $5 per hour, however if you've got a laptop, there's free WiFi in McDonalds and some cafés.

Just my tuppence anyway, hope this helps.
    If your planning on staying in Sydney for a bit, you should maybe consider an apartment share.
    A shared apartment room in the CBD will set you back around $150 a week, however most of the buildings have free internet, free laundry, as well as a free gym, pool, and sauna.... so it works out very well.
    The only downside is, you miss the social vibe that you find in the Hostels, unless of course your lucky, and end up moving in with a good bunch.

Best of luck anyway man!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭themacman

Such super advice folks, I really appreciate it.

If you dont mind I'll pick your brains one more time: How long should I stay in Sydney? Is 3 or 4 days in the city enough to see everything?

My trip is a 6 week holiday, the basic plan being to hit Sydney, pop across to NZ South Island (where I have lived before) and back over to Melbourne. I wouldnt mind getting in some kinda road trip too. Any general advice appreciated, I've really gone for this at the last minute and know very little about Oz hehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lloyd Xmas

You could certainly get a fair bit done in four full days alright.

Perhaps the following might help,

Day 1: Darling Harbour (Darling Harbour is one of the main places where Sydneysiders celebrate major events such NYE, or the recent Australia Day) There's plenty of nice cafés and bars also lunch etc...
    A five minute walk from Darling Harbour will then bring you into the main shopping district. There's always a good buzz about the area and its a chance to see all walks of life in Sydney.
    You could then hop on the 555 bus from George St and this will take you straight down to the Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge in about 5 minutes. The bus is free and really handy.
    You could then check out the Australian Museum if you've time. Its located on the far side of Hyde Park if approaching from George St (Hyde Park lies parallel to George St)

Day 2: You could hit the Blue Mountains on Day 2. Its a spectacular area with amazing scenery and should be on everyones list. You could also visit the Jenolin Caves when your there. To get there, head to Central Station, then take the train to Katoomba (Journey time around 90mins)
    As soon as you emerge from Katoomba Station, you can simply hop on one of the hop on/off buses and take your pick with regard to what you want to see.
    I rented a mountain bike when I went there, however the terrain can be fairly tough going and you'll end up cycling for around 9 hours if want to fit everything in.
    If I was heading back, I'd go with bus option!

Day 3: You could spend a day on Bondi Beach I suppose... During the week its nice and quiet. I'd recommend you do one of the coastal walks from Bondi, as the scenry is spectacular and you'll get some great photos. All the walks follow the same path, so its just really a case of how far you want to go!
    From Town Hall train station, take the train to Bondi Junction. You can buy a special "Bondi Beach" ticket which will get you a return to Bondi Junction as well as the adjoining bus to take you to Bondi Beach. Don't be put off by the talk of trains and buses :eek:, the whole journey only takes about 25 minutes :D

Day 4: Here you could visit the Zoo, head off on a wine tour, chance your arm with a sky-dive... Basically there's tonnes to do, however I reckon you'll feel fairly well accomplished if you do the first three days activities.

Its a great place to be honest and i'm sure you'll have good craic whatever you decide.

All the best with it anyway mate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Yeah you'd get a lot done in four days.

I'd suggest a cruise of the harbour if its a fine day - even if you are going to the Zoo or Luna Park you could consider it somewhat of a cruise :D

I wasn't awed by Bondi Beach at all, didn't get all the fuss but I think if you are in Sydney it is something that you want to have said you've done.

I didn't do the Blue Mountains but everyone that I have talked to that have went there say its a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

+1 for Wake Up!. Such a great hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭themacman

Thanks a million to everyone who replied - great stuff altogether.

Booked a couple of nights in Wake Up to start with anyway (though this happy chappy rather concerns me haha, what time of the morning are we talking about?). Lloyd fair play to you man, ill definitely be refering to your itinery when i arrive!

Advertisement