Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a herb garden!!

Options
  • 26-01-2010 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

I eally want a herb garden but haven't a clue about gardening. Have tried to plant basil from the pot but it always dies:(
    Please someone enlighten me on how to plant herbs:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh some of them are really annoying...

I started growing my own herbs from seeds indoors..You can get these little pots made from organic matter so you do not have to deal with taking the plants out of the pots when they start to grow you can just replant the entire thing...

But anywho all i did was fill these little pots dont pack the soil to tight and then sprinkle a few seeds over cover with a little soil, place on a try in a window inside and walla wait for a few weeks until they start to sprout...You can leave them in the little pots for a while before planting out....

I found the easyiest ones to grow were Thyme, Parsley and Coriander...Also grew garden peas too this way it is so much fun

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you about the pots of basil you buy in the supermarket? These have been grown under very protected conditions. It is possible to grow them on but they are tender so they will only grow through the summer anyway. If you plant one out in the summer - into good soil with some compost mixed in - you will need to cut down the leaves initially, and they will look very sad, but if you keep it watered it will grow again, but only for the summer.
    Thyme, sage, chives are hardy and are easy to grow. Parsley is tender depending on where you live, mostly it only grows for the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

I planted an outdoor container in a shady spot in my garden with herbs in September 2009 and have had great success with the following: flat leaf parsley, mint, oregano, winter savory, tarragon, and lavender. All of them are perrenials.

The mint and parsley in particular grow very aggressively so I harvest them frequently to give the other herbs room to grow. All of them have survived the bitter winter so far with no protection. The mint was actually one of those grocery store pots that aren't supposed to survive well but has. The rest were purchased in my local DIY store.

Growing herbs is so satisfying. I highly recommend it! I think you're better off growing the more sensitive annuals like basil and corriander indoors and leave outdoor planting for herbs like the ones mentioned above.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

picked up a some well cheap seeds yesterday in lidl, but, got the nicest packet of mixed basil seeds, 6 different varieities in one packet in tesco for 5.65.

looking forward to sunday,time to get some potting compost and start the 2010 planting season.

Advertisement