Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Aid course

• 26-01-2010 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where i can do a first aid course in Waterford city,
    I applied to the WIT but it has been cancelled due to insufficient numbers.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

You could try contacting the old reliable voluntary organisations who sometimes do public courses.

Order Of Malta
    http://www.orderofmalta.ie/what-we-do.asp?id=34&cid=254

Irish Red Cross
    http://www.redcross.ie/about_us__1/your_local_branches

From what I know Civil Defence in general don't currently offer public first aid classes that give out OFA certification. But you could try ring them to confirm that.

If none of the above are running a public course you could ask them could they recommend someone(private company) who could help you.

The company I worked for has used Denise Kelly from "First Aid & Medical Training Services" in the past and she knew her stuff.
    http://www.waterfordchamber.com/index.php/membership-directory/Training/First-Aid-&-Medical-Training-Services/details
    It may do no harm in ringing her to see if she is organising a public course soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Sound baronflyguy

sent off a few emails. see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've been doing occupational first aid courses every 3 years since the early 80's (now every 2 years) and did my last one 15 months ago with Denise Kelly, she's very good. I did it through an organisation that I'm affiliated with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I'm in the Order of Malta here and as far as I know we are starting a public course soon enough. If you want to PM me your details I can get back to you about it with more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

spaceylou wrote: »
    I'm in the Order of Malta here and as far as I know we are starting a public course soon enough. If you want to PM me your details I can get back to you about it with more info.

Do the Order of Malta run a Occupational First Aid course?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

there a nightcourse in first aid startin up soon in the CTI on parnell st, think its 120 euro

clansman wrote: »

Emmm.....not 100% sure. I was a member in another unit in Dublin while I was in college and am not back in Waterford that long so not entirely sure what the story is, other than there is plans to get a public first aid course up and running soon. I will find out more and report back! :D

clansman wrote: »

Clansman, sorry for the delay answering this question but basically the Order of Malta in Waterford do have instructors that can teach occupational first aid course but generally when running a course for the general public there is a far greater demand for basic first aid rather than occupational first aid.

To cover costs etc, we need to have at least 10 in an occupational first aid class, so we usually end up doing it for organisations that will have a group that want to/need to do the course.

If you are interested in an occupational first aid course or a basic first aid though, PM me your name and number and I'll pass them on to the person who takes care of first aid courses in the unit.

for anyone who was looking to find out about doing a first aid course in waterford the order of malta are holding a registration on Thursday 25th Feb (thur next week) in their hall on Bath Street at 7.30pm.

The course is for adults, will run for 6 weeks at a cost of €75 per person. This covers the course, certs etc. Come along next thursday if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

if your looking to do a frist aid course, first aid & medical training services is very good does basic first aid compony run by denise kelly, ocupational frist aid, basic life support training and aed course are been running all the time,
    her number is 0868474444

• Advertisement

for anyone who was looking to find out about doing a first aid course in waterford the order of malta are holding a registration on Thursday 25th Feb (thur next week) in their hall on Bath Street at 7.30pm.

The course is for adults, will run for 6 weeks at a cost of €75 per person. This covers the course, certs etc. Come along next thursday if you are interested.
    Is this a Occupational First Aid class or another first aid course?
    75 euros is not bad for a OFA course.

I remember back in 1995 when I attended my first OFA course it only cost me 25 pounds for a 10 week course. I feel so old now :(

First Aid is well worth knowing.

Is this a Occupational First Aid class or another first aid course?
    75 euros is not bad for a OFA course.

I remember back in 1995 when I attended my first OFA course it only cost me 25 pounds for a 10 week course. I feel so old now :(

First Aid is well worth knowing.

First Aid is definately well worth knowing. This is a basic first aid course, not occupational first aid so covers stuff like how to deal with bleeding, broken bones, burns, common emergencies like heart-attack etc. Well worth doing for anyone I would say, for the CPR skills alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

Is this a basic first aid course? Am very interested as i have 2 young kids and have never done a first aid course:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I did the Occupational First Aid course a few years ago, it was a 3 day course which covers all the main things like spaceylou mentioned. The trainer Denise Kelly was really good, knows her stuff and is sound out too. It's called Occupational First Aid but it's all applicable to life outside work too. You can also do AED (the defibrilator yoke) training, think they do that in the NAS Training Centre in the Cleaboy.

......It's called Occupational First Aid but it's all applicable to life outside work too. You can also do AED (the defibrilator yoke) training, think they do that in the NAS Training Centre in the Cleaboy.
    The Occupational First Aid course now includes the AED. So anyone who has done the OFA in the last few years shouldn't have to do an add on extra course just for AED.

For anyone that is interested in CPR or who has done it before, they may find it interesting to know the AHA are expected to bring out revised 2010 CPR guidelines sometime this year. After their last revised CPR guidelines in 2005 it took a while for it to get over here.

@spaceylou - what is the title of the cert a person will receive after they do the "basic first aid course" your mentioned? It would be interesting to know the Course Content before signing up for it. Some basic first aid courses (advertised on websites like this one from SilverFern.ie) below OFA don't include CPR.

pommers wrote: »
    Is this a basic first aid course? Am very interested as i have 2 young kids and have never done a first aid course:o

Yeah the order of malta public course is a basic first aid course.

Advertisement