Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family friendly area near D4

Options
  • 26-01-2010 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi folks!

I am most likely moving to Dublin this spring with my family and I am looking for a nice place to stay.

I will be working near the Grand Canal Street/Dock and I am looking for a nice quiet area where my kids (age 7,9,12) can play and socialize outside, without me being to worried about their security (crime, traffic..)

I have found some areas near Sandymount, and towards Booterstown which I like, but whats it like to commute from these areas? I would like to use the train, so that we don't need two cars..

What rent should I calculate (3 bed apartment/house) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

Hey Bootfish,

Well the commute from booterstown is about 10 minutes maybe less in a car normally but during rush hour it could take you 40 minutes or more to get to the Grand Canal area. A dart to Grand Canal Dock would take max 10 minutes from booterstown and buses are very frequent along the n11 and rock road.

As far as family friendly, i'm not too sure because i have never seen kids out playing though i would imagine if you managed to rent in a Cul-de-sac in an estate i'm sure there will be plenty of kids around. Maybe consider cabinteely too, there is a very good park and 24 hour Dunnes there so might be convenient and it would more likely have young enough families with kids as its a little cheaper to buy in than booterstown.

Not too sure on rent but check out www.daft.ie and www.myhome.ie and www.gumtree.ie to get an idea of prices in the area. There is plenty of room to negotiate on rents at the moment though!

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

If you want to use the train Booterstown is perfect. Only about 10mins into Grand Canal Dock station. Booterstown is a nice upmarket area with a few nice pubs and small shops, e.g. Gleesons and the Punchbowl. It is also near to a few schools:

Boys fee paying primary – Willow Park, Cross Avenue
    Boys fee paying secondary – Blackrock College, Cross Avenue
    Co-ed fee paying, primary & secondary – St Andrews College, Booterstown Avenue
    Free girls secondary – Dominican College Sion Hill, Mount Merrion Avenue
    Free co-ed primary – Scoil San Treasa, Mount Merrion
    Free co-ed primary – Oatlands College, Old Stillorgan Road
    Free boys secondary – Oatlands College, Old Stillorgan Road

There are more, I just can’t think of them now. All the above are in a 1 mile radius of the general Booterstown area.

Mount Merrion is a lovely area, and depending on where you are only 1-1.5 miles from Booterstown Dart Station. You can park at the station but would need to be there before 8am. Generally, you couldn’t go wrong being in Mount Merrion/Booterstown/Blackrock area. Plenty of schools, 3 shopping centres, cinemas, pubs, parks etc. Walking distance to the Dart and well served by buses. I have lived in Mount Merrion all my life and the area is about as trouble free as you can get. Be careful looking at ‘Blackrock’ on rental sites as some Blackrock addresses can be quite far from the village and DART line

I wouldn’t recommend cabinteely for where you will be working as you would be reliant on your car to get you to a bus or train.

Alternatively, you can head a bit farther from the city but stay on the Dart Line. Dun Laoghaire, Sandycove and Glenageary are all lovely areas and still within a half hour DART ride to Grand Canal Dock.

I had a quick look on www.daft.ie and rents are as follows:

Booterstown: 9 houses currently available, Rents from €1600-€3200 per month
    Mount Merion: 4 houses currently available, rents from €2000-€5000 per month
    Blackrock: 15 houses available, rents from €1200 - €3500 per month
    Glenageray: 3 houses available, rents from €1600 - €5000 per month
    Dun Laoghaire: 15 houses available, rents from €1200 - €3000 per month
    Sandycove: 7 houses available, rents from €1800 - €4500 per month

If you look at www.dart.ie you can check the timetables from various stops to Grand Canal Dock which will give you an idea of the journey time.

If you need any more specific info let me know. Good luck with the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

Roughly speaking anywhere from the Sandymount to Killiney along the coast meets your requirements. But once you get past Blackrock the commute may be too long for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

donaghs wrote: »
    Roughly speaking anywhere from the Sandymount to Killiney along the coast meets your requirements. But once you get past Blackrock the commute may be too long for you.

On the other side of the city, look around Clontarf, Killester and Raheny, all mature suburbs near the DART line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Boot Fish

Thanks a lot for all the good advice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

St. Helen's Wood in Booterstown is a family friendly estate. I lived there as a kid and I have a friend still living there

Advertisement