Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help required for website setup

Options
  • 26-01-2010 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Ok....please bear with me........trying to set up a simple website, have my domain name and hosting already. Would like to use/edit some free online templates (recommendations please). Website will be for a local club and will have an [EMAIL="info@###.ie"]info@###.ie[/EMAIL] email account.

Q1. Is it easy to link my domain name/hosting to an online edited template?

Q2. How does the setup of the email work?

Yes folks, I'm an absolute beginner on this.....so please be gentle........due to funding we're trying to do this ourselves and all help would be very welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 aamurray

A. Q1. Just place the edited template pages in the root directory on your hosting server and the other directories such as /images and that's it.

The template you download should have all the pages you need and should be a simple layout as follows:

index.html = your home page
    otherpages.html = the other pages in your site
    /images = directory of images
    /other directories = as in the template zip file

A. Q2. You will need to have PHP enabled on your server - ask your hosting company - then you can download the "FormToEmail.php" file, free from the web, and modify it to suit - there are a few around tutorials to help.

Let's know when you get up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

1) For your second question, do you mean how to set up the email address [EMAIL="info@###.ie"]info@###.ie[/EMAIL] via your hosting account?

This will depend on what kind of control panel you have with your hosting account. If no control panel is provided then you will have to ask your hosting company to set this up for you. If cPanel is used as the control panel then you'll only have to click on "Email Accounts" and add your email address(s). Other control panels like Plesk and Helm etc, have different settings but should not be hard to set up an email.

2) Or do you mean how to fix up a form to send email via the website?

As aamurray, said that you'll need PHP. This is not the case.....you'll only need PHP enabled if you are going to use "FormToEmail.php". Your hosting account may be on a windows server so it'll be using ASP instead. If its on a linux server then it'll be PHP enabled. So once you know what your hosting company provides, then you can go looking for a free script on PHP or ASP. ASP or PHP do not have to be used. Javascript will also work with emails on all servers.

Once you tell us what you mean by this question then we can help you further.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kce

Yeah I've checked and the setup of the email will not be an issue through the hosting company..........thanks for that

Just in terms of the webpage design.........can someone recommend website templates that are easily editable without getting too techncial. Looked at the templates in wix which were good until I relaised that i couldn't simply transfer my ####.ie domain name to it!

Thanks again for the replies so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Can't recommend any of these, because I don't use templates, but http://www.freewebtemplates.com/

Yep - 100% as "HandWS LTD" says - php is only applicable if you have Linux hosting - me bad for not pointing that out and for not mentioning that there is a free ASP email processing file for Windows hosting called "sendmail.asp" which you can download and which has some tutorials online also. As you seem to be new to webdesign, I was reluctant to mention the Javascript email option as it is a little more intricate to implement.

Good luck with your endeavours.

• Advertisement

aamurray wrote: »
    Yep - 100% as "HandWS LTD" says - php is only applicable if you have Linux hosting

Not true.

PHP is usually on Linux hosting, but it can be on a Windows platform.

I'd link to one hosting company's website as proof, except it might be against the charter.
    HandWS LTD wrote: »
    Javascript will also work with emails on all servers.

What is this supposed to mean ?

Yep - I have used PHP on both linux and windows hosting - but my main intention here was to assist "kce" with getting to grips with some simple scripts that he can easily modify in order to achieve his goals - hence my first reply with the FormToEmail.php suggestion. Maybe I was misunderstood. When I think that when someone is starting out in setting up websites I just believe that things should be kept as easy as possible and that was my objective in posting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kce

aamurray wrote: »
    I just believe that things should be kept as easy as possible and that was my objective in posting. :)

yes simple solutions only please.....thanks again everyone

kce wrote: »
    yes simple solutions only please.....thanks again everyone

Well, then it's a case of checking if your hosting package includes PHP or ASP before searching for an email script that works on that platform.

Advertisement