Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow Half Marathon and 10km May 22nd

• 26-01-2010 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Ok I'll never get a Half marathon as close to my house as this, so it would be silly to miss this.

http://www.wicklowhalfmarathonand10km.com/

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 10 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    40%
    Phoneheadjedistevrovers_runnerfluboy 4 votes
    3 stars (average)
    40%
    joe_chickenannieeeDaithi BCronnie085 4 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    10%
    SharkTale 1 vote
    1 star (terrible)
    10%
    Husavik 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

I pick and choose my races based on whether it offers a good race at a decent price. Way overpriced IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭runnerboy

i think this is another rip off of the 1/2 marathon trend which seems to be popping up nearly in every big town. i see this event is organised by ryan management, is this the same ryan management who made a huge profit in the wexford 1/2 and the courtown eireman. these race don't offer anything to the real athletes and for 45 euro you can to a well organised races by real athletes for 1/2 that price. sorry but these races are not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

mite do it I see they have masters aged 35+ for mens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

runnerboy wrote: »
    i think this is another rip off of the 1/2 marathon trend which seems to be popping up nearly in every big town. i see this event is organised by ryan management, is this the same ryan management who made a huge profit in the wexford 1/2 and the courtown eireman. these race don't offer anything to the real athletes and for 45 euro you can to a well organised races by real athletes for 1/2 that price. sorry but these races are not for me.

Excuse me one second Runnerboy please...

Firstly – I didn’t make a huge profit at Wexford half so let’s bury that hatchet right now. That’s a myth. If you saw or had any idea what the outlays for that race were... only then would you have good reason to make an accusation like this which you throw out as fact – considering you don’t - you are speculating. And I’m telling you that you are wrong. I’ve seen the figures posted that ppl thought was made and I can only dream.... We put on a quality race that had extra features at a cost which we advertised - so it was very transparent. The reason that race did well was because of hard work and grafting. The race was built from scratch and the risks were taken. I believed in the product and people liked it. Just like I believe in the Wicklow Half Marathon.

As for Eireman – it did not make any money.

Now I see from your previous posting history that you are also a Race Organiser. That’s interesting. I make a point not dishing anyone else’s race. And I would certainly give a race a chance to prove itself even if I was that way inclined.

Lastly this race costs €40 not €45 as you state and the first 50 ppl will get entry for €35. It is €25 for the 10km.

If you want to contact me directly Runner Boy I’ll PM my phone number to you. I hope there is nothing personal in this.... But you really singled me out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

If you consider it too expensive - don't do it... simple. No one is forcing you to pay it.

If no one does it then I'd imagine the price might have to come down (maybe that makes the race not worth running though from a commercial point of view?). However, I'm guessing there will be plenty of people willing to pay it for various reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

onimpulse wrote: »
    If you consider it too expensive - don't do it... simple. No one is forcing you to pay it.

Totally agree. The cost thing has been covered so many times. At this stage it adds nothing to threads and will scare off race organisers from posting on boards. They can be very helpfull here.

Ok - this is the wrong thread for this conversation. Apols Abhainn - we have hijacked your thread.

Let’s move it over to the Thread called 'Wexford Half Marathon 2010 Amend & Roadshow' for the next episode... It’s more in keeping with topic

Let’s get back to all things Wicklow here.....
    Thanks for the PM’s of support for Wicklow by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 atnutin

runnerboy wrote: »
    i agree with u runnerboy tat the wex half was a rip off,start of the prizes where miserable none for over 50's, we were promised a carnival atmosphere on quays there was a big stand and no 1 in it, as mr.ryan sayin he had lot of expenses he got volenteers for everythng an sponsership so if he thinks he foolin any 1 by saying he didnt make a v.big profit hes saddly mistakin. and he only looked for a aai permit when realised tat all aai members woulnt be allowed to run witout it and then he joined a club to get the permit, but as i said before dont bull**** us eoin , u came 2 make a profit in wex so just admit it. and shame on clubs for not gettin in first.

Do us a favor and read the other thread. I've engaged and I've responded. I can't keep going in circles here - its time consuming and fruitless if you are calling me a lier and full of it.... Thanks.

Do me another favor and get your facts straight.
    Talk to me at the next Co board meeting and we'll go through it. I prefer face to face rather than fake names and accusations.

I agree with that poster that no race organiser will post anymore. You just can't keep everyone happy. And then there is the dispersions. Comes with the job I guess - maybe it makes entertaining reading for the bystanders. I don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Ok - this is the wrong thread for this conversation. Apols Abhainn - we have hijacked your thread.

Let’s move it over to the Thread called 'Wexford Half Marathon 2010 Amend & Roadshow' for the next episode... It’s more in keeping with topic

Let’s get back to all things Wicklow here.....
    Thanks for the PM’s of support for Wicklow by the way :)
    Apologies. I've removed by post from above which in hindsight was a bit petty and also as you pointred out in the wrong thread. I'll take it up again on the appropriate thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 atnutin

ok eoin sorry if ive upset u, i just think we were let down by the county board over the last few years regards good races and tat left the door open for u to come in and make a profit ,but fair play to u for grappen the opp ,but just cum out and admit thats wat u are doin and we all know where we stand.

Ok – I don’t think that our neighbours in Wicklow need to know your opinions on the Wexford county board. A lot of people that you and I know do great work there. If you feel so strongly about it – why don’t you get off the fence and take a role. The Co. Secretary post is vacant – why don’t you apply for it....

I don’t really understand your angle here or what words you are trying to make me write. Let me put it this way. You work and in return for your work you get paid. I also work (very long and antisocial hours) and I also get paid for doing my job. Say no more....

If you want to continue this Atnutin send me a PM. This is not the thread for a ding dong on Wexford athletics and such. And as i said - i prefer to talk in person anyway

The Wicklow Half Marathon and 10km is now AAI permit approved....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Hello all,

Heard about this race on the radio this afternoon... spaces limited to 1000 and you can choose between half-marathon or 10km.

http://wicklowhalfmarathonand10km.com/

Anyone else heard of it or planning on participating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

I'm doing the half in this. Saw it on the Active Europe site. Chip timing, nice course; I'm looking forward to it!

Registration times are confirmed in Wicklow Gaol:

Friday 21st May 5pm to 8pm (Appreciate if locals could attend this one please and other people of course)
    Saturday 22nd 7am to 10am

Refreshments will be available post race in the Grand Hotel, Wicklow town. This is a NEW addition - so thanks to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

1 star (terrible)
    I'm going to do it. A couple of years ago this would have been considered my back yard and as I'm winding up for the DCM, this one should really be on my list. Looking forward to it, especially the nice long coastal stretch at the end.

Hello all,

I know Im resurrecting this thread (hope its not against forum rules) but Ive signed up for the 10km race and got email from the organisers this evening saying the uptake (esp for the 10km) is a lot less than expected and to try spread the word if anyone else was interested.

I was really looking forward to this race as it seems like a very scenic course so was surprised to hear of the lack of interest but the closing date is 19th May so if anyone still fancies it give it a shot... if theres a few A/R/T members we could always meet up for a beer/soft drink afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What's the course for the 10K?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

3 stars (average)
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What's the course for the 10K?

http://www.wicklowhalfmarathonand10km.com/?q=the-course

Maps of both courses here.

I'm going to do the 10k. It's pretty local for me.

Friars Hill though! :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

annieee wrote: »
    http://www.wicklowhalfmarathonand10km.com/?q=the-course

Maps of both courses here.

I'm going to do the 10k. It's pretty local for me.

Friars Hill though! :eek::eek:

Thanks - I live on Friar's Hill and that puts the breaks on at the end of my runs.

yep there is a Hill called Friar's Hill - its severe, But its only 300m of severe... ;)

We know it and we're making a play on it!
    Friar's Hill is already part of our race material...
    Better still if we get more entries we'll have a method of taking your mind off it in a light hearted way....

Incidently if you enter either race (the 10km or Half Marathon) u will get the following:

A training Top (very good quality I've been told. A keeper!)
    A finishers medal
    A race number
    A timing chip (your result will be texted to you later in the day)
    A voucher for Soup, sambo's and tea coffee in the Grand Hotel
    A shower in Coral Leisure
    Parking is laid on.
    We do have prizes in the Half and 10km
    Dry bag drop point
    East Coast FM knocking out the hits in the Courtyard of Wicklow's Historic Gaol at the finish. Great finish area for spectators.
    Chill area for athletes at the finish. Water & Bannana's
    There will be varioius bits of Gaol Theatre to make the race unique....
    Its a pretty scenic route too. Sure there are hills - but its the same hills for everyone.
    3 x Water stations on Half. One on the 10km
    €900 going to 3 x local charities
    €900 going to the Wicklow youth development squad

Thats all that comes to mind right now..... :confused:
    Closing on the 19th May
    Thanks

To clarify - its the Wicklow Athletic youth development squad. :o

Not the Wicklow youth development squad -> whoever they are....!!

Kinda reminds me of a scene from the Life of Brian in the Colosseum

1 star (terrible)
    To clarify - its the Wicklow Athletic youth development squad. :o

Not the Wicklow youth development squad -> whoever they are....!!

Kinda reminds me of a scene from the Life of Brian in the Colosseum

Sorry mate, never heard of them.

The only club I've ever heard of is the Wicklow youth Athletic development team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Hello all,

I know Im resurrecting this thread (hope its not against forum rules) but Ive signed up for the 10km race and got email from the organisers this evening saying the uptake (esp for the 10km) is a lot less than expected and to try spread the word if anyone else was interested.

I was really looking forward to this race as it seems like a very scenic course so was surprised to hear of the lack of interest but the closing date is 19th May so if anyone still fancies it give it a shot... if theres a few A/R/T members we could always meet up for a beer/soft drink afterwards!

To OP and Eoin,
    Is there any chance that this race will be called off due to lack of numbers? I've been planning for it for a while now so would be pretty pissed given I chose it over the Kildare half.

Will try to rope a few people into it over the next few days if possible.
    What are the numbers were like at present?

Also will the road from the golf course out towards Brittas direction be marshalled or is it open to two way traffic?

3 stars (average)
    To OP and Eoin,
    Is there any chance that this race will be called off due to lack of numbers?

:eek:Jaysis, don't say that! I'm looking forward to it now.

I'd say a lot of people will leave it til last minute to register. Thats normal isn't it?

4 stars (good)
    Annieee,
    People tend to leave it past the last minute as can be seen from the threads asking for bibs the are frequently created on there.

I reckon it'll be fine, spotted the email this morning, there already seems to be plenty of people registered.

Friars Hill is the one that up from the roundabout near tesco right?
    The road up to the golf club will be a doddle after that first hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

4 stars (good)
    Have ran the course twice now and it is not an easy course! strange decision to have people running up Friars Hill at the start, Hard to see people deciding to do this run when they have to do a further 18k after killing themselves to get up this Hill, only reason I registered is because it's down the road and apart from Friars Hill it is on my normal training route! Best of luck to all but believe me when I say pace yourself as Friars Hill is tough and just coming up from the harbour has another annoying climb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Phonehead wrote: »
    Have ran the course twice now and it is not an easy course! strange decision to have people running up Friars Hill at the start, Hard to see people deciding to do this run when they have to do a further 18k after killing themselves to get up this Hill, only reason I registered is because it's down the road and apart from Friars Hill it is on my normal training route! Best of luck to all but believe me when I say pace yourself as Friars Hill is tough and just coming up from the harbour has another annoying climb.

What do ppl want? a full downhill course? Training should include hills and hill reps.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    mloc123 wrote: »
    What do ppl want? a full downhill course?

Well, yeah, that would be great!

;)

I'm going to do a trial run on Saturday anyways, see how I go. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

annieee wrote: »
    Well, yeah, that would be great!

;)

I'm going to do a trial run on Saturday anyways, see how I go. :o

Check out the Malta Half... all downhill, apart from one dual carriagway flyover :D

4 stars (good)
    Has anyone got a proper map of the half marathon route?

Where does the missing half mile from the website come in?
    I assume it's on the new road over to the Murrough from Rathnew?

Sorry, i suck at multiple quotes so I'm doing this the auld fashioned way:

There is no chance the race will be pulled. Yes the numbers are not what i hoped for, yes the race prob won't break even and yes thats a bummer for me. But thats life - I rolled the dice and took a chance. For any would be race organiser I'd say the running market is saturated....
    We'll put on a good show and maybe next year ppl will vote for us! We have about 300 at present. B nice to see a surge naturally... :)

Friars hill comes at km 1.7 so there is time to get a stride going. We don't start at the base of the hill. Rem its only 300m max. Race tactics come into play here. If you "kill yourself"....er.. just don't eh..! It isn't an easy course - but its the same for everyone. Its a new challenge. I wanted to make it harder and bring ppl down to the lighthouse... The views are fantastic!!! Sure Connemara is tough too - I think the views are the major selling point.

Final road plans will be ironed out this week.

We can't map 100% it as Map my run don't have the new bit road that crosses the Murrough (the new bridge). I'll try and amend that map - I don't have the turn into the new road at the correct place (but it will still be a guesstimate)The course has been measured by a Jones Counter for both.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

4 stars (good)
    Eoin the course is good, it is a challenge but I was just highlighting that quiet a few new runners I know have been put off by the Thoughts of Friars Hill and then the climb from the harbour past the Golf course. I am looking forward to the day, don't know if I want sun or rain:confused:

3 stars (average)
    Sure, just run it the other way round and we'll all be happy. ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Have to say I'm thinking this one over if the legs are okay. The 10k I mean. Would be my first one. Sounds like a nice run and sure a hill will only focus the mind ;)

I drove up Frier's Hill this morning. Didn't even break a sweat....!!!:):):)

3 stars (average)
    I drove up Frier's Hill this morning. Didn't even break a sweat....!!!:):):)

Pishaw! :rolleyes:

;)

Eoin - in terms of the course, are there any markings of distance along the way and if so how far apart?

Thanks

Hi.

Both courses marked in km's

Water stations - we will have 3 on the Half marathon course (one shared with the 10km guys). So its: 3 for Half marathon and one for 10km. There will also be Water at the finish and a 'nana before your go to the Grand Hotel.
    Water stations KM 6.5 KM 10 KM 15. There will be a toilet on the course.

Eoin

• Advertisement

Convicts,

your last chance for online entry and freedom from Gaol is Wed 19th :)

Vice Governor

this will be part of an email going out to Entrants in next day or so

I should have revised the routes as we fine tuned things. Mea culpa!

The course is a tester but not as had as the Maps on the website would suggest!!

This is as accurate as it can be showed with no NEW road to mark correctly (its not on maps yet) The 10km turn is at the arrow (ish)
    Note: the last 1km is all down hill...;)

We are now going to take entries at registration - but i suggest coming early so we can get you processed in time...
    Registration is Friday 5-7pm
    Saturday 7-10am

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/wicklow/141127420193618380

4 stars (good)

The course is a tester but not as had as the Maps on the website would suggest!!

This is as accurate as it can be showed with no NEW road to mark correctly (its not on maps yet) The 10km turn is at the arrow (ish)

We are now going to take entries at registration - but i suggest coming early so we can get you processed in time...
    Registration is Friday 5-7pm
    Saturday 7-10am

Looking forward to it now Eoin, weather promised hot too so should be a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'd say the running market is saturated....

Oh the irony ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

3 stars (average)
    Where's the best place for parking for this?

1 star (terrible)

I see that it has gone from 12.5 miles to 13.5 miles. It's a pity it can't be the exact (give or take) distance. I presume it's that bend on the coast road that's causing the problem. Then again you could have continued on and came back the Greenhills rd. - that would sort out the Friar Hill whingers.

Have no fear the course has been measured accurately - just can't reflect it on map my run unfort.

Parking info is on the website with map. So any on the day entrants have access to it also

Email with all the bumph going out in the am once online entries close tonight.

Bring sun screen.....:cool:

And don't forget its fancy dress

3 stars (average)

And don't forget its fancy dress

Huh? :confused:

Good luck to everyone doing this today - it's gonna be a hot one - so be sensible.
    I'll bring the camera along and a get a few pix in between babysitting spending quality time with the kids.

3 stars (average)
    Well done to everyone who took part today. Killer hills and killer heat, but really enjoyable!

• Advertisement
Advertisement