Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow Half Marathon and 10km May 22nd

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Fantastic day - challenging course and challenging weather - well done all.
    Uploading my pix now - will get to tagging later.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dominic67/sets/72157623987950809/

If anyone wants the high res just PM me.

Here's a few boardies for the mean time.
    Daithi BC & Abhainn (who went on to finish 3rd in the HM)

4628569179_56ef1528b8.jpg
    I'm lovin' the shots with Black Castle and the sea in the background.
    Abhainn
    4628584623_8840343cef.jpg
    Daithi BC
    4629187244_51d2841e9b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

3 stars (average)
    Just back at home for 20 minutes after this race and before heading over to meet Hunnymonster et al. Really tough race in the heat, and 214m of ascent according to my Garmin, but excellently organised and marshalled and the distance marking was spot on.

Delighted to have won the 10k, but my time was the slowest I've run in about 4 years - I blame the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Cheers Beepbeep67 - good photos. Didn't know it was you untill I passed by you at around 8k.
    Well done Daithi BC on the 10k win. We ran about 7k together I say. Didn't know it was you.
    I finished in 1:20 no PB today, probably one the toughest half marathon routes there is. Race well organised, great marshalling etc.
    Time to open a Tiger Beer I think:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Any idea when the results will be up.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

well done abhainn and daithi - great running in that heat - it looks sweltering in the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Well done Abhainn and Daithi, great efforts!

I think we all definitely earned a beer after that course! I did the 10k and it seemed at the end of every downhill section you'd turn a corner only to see another hill! :eek: With the heat too it was very challenging but makes it all the better from finishing I suppose :)

Im delighted as I got the sub-45 I had been hoping for (43:51 on my watch) despite the difficult conditions :)

Hats off to the organisers, marshallers and crowds.. There was a great crowd on the corner by the harbour between 7-8km who really helped as I found the 7-9km stretch probably the most difficult!

Well done everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Brilliant running lads - amazing times. Yep, the course and organisation were top-notch. My farmer's tan has been replaced with singlet sunburn :eek: I finished in 1.37 and change. Happy enough, shaved 3 mins off my other HM time.

Thanks for the photos. Well done again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Brilliantly run event, well done Eoin.
    The heat was a killer, things were grand for me until about 10m where I started to go backwards....
    Great course too, incredibly tough combination of the hills with the heat.

Hope this becomes a regular fixture as there are very few good qualily half marathons in the greater dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

3 stars (average)
    The Fool wrote: »
    Any idea when the results will be up.
    thanks

Weren't we supposed to get our times texted to us?

Didn't get anything here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

1 star (terrible)
    By my own watch I was 2 mins slower than the Kildare HM two weeks ago. So it is somewhat encouraging to hear stronger runners say that it was a tough day with the hills and heat. I felt the long drags on the coast road home were tougher than the earlier climbs even with the breeze helping. ( I found myself shuffling rather than running up those gentle climbs). Watch time was 1.36.40.

I thought Kildare was a far better set up race, more professionally run and resourced. If I recall right they were around the same rate. Kildare incidentally got around 1500, this one I believe got 500 approx.

The race IMO would benefit from a different start and end area. This one, particularly the final run in, was very cramped. Post race refreshments, like cold drinks, hot food and a sit down area would also be welcome. The option of going a 1/2mile down to The Grand just didn't appeal.

The course itself is very scenic and open once you get past km 5 and there are some great spots for viewing it from the sides (like just after the first river crossing). And in general I thought it was a challenging and enjoyable test.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Results and some photos on the website www.wicklowhalfmarathonand10km.com

Well done to everyone! Roasting conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

2 stars (poor)
    Well done to all runners & walkers who took part yesterday in the heat.

Very difficult conditions but did not take too much away from a great day, very well organised from start to finish, a nice scenic course.

Good race and will do it again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Results and some photos on the website www.wicklowhalfmarathonand10km.com

Well done to everyone! Roasting conditions

Cheers Eoin, also got a text this morning with result.

Good course, would do it again. Next time have a few more XLs
    for the more robust gentlemen

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Thanks everyone.

It was a great team effort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Watchy

Eoin,

Congratulations on organising a highly enjoyable half marathon/10k. I really enjoyed the race and I hope it grows to become an annual fixture. I haven't run a half marathon other then the Connemara Half Marathon which I have run in 5 years in a row. I have really enjoyed the Connemara events but I must say it was really refreshing to run in a smaller, more intimate event. It was great to be able to park the car, walk to the start, register, use the toilets (twice!) without having to queue and start the race comfortably. There was a lot of really great support which reflected well on the people of Wicklow Town and at the finish, because it was more intimate, I found myself chatting to several strangers and hearing how their runs went which was brilliant.
    So hopefully this event will take off... but not too much.... if you know what I mean....?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

4 stars (good)
    Well done on a great race. The weather really helped, but it was a great course, very tough. The marshals and Gardai did a great job, so hopefully it will be back next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

4 stars (good)
    Well organised and a great event! the scouts and the people offering support along a tough route was very much appreciated! really enjoyed the race and finishing in the Gaol courtyard was a great setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭jedistev

4 stars (good)
    Really want to said Congratulations on organising a Total enjoyable & roasting half marathon/10k.

I really enjoyed the tough race apart from beautiful Scenery, and sick myself for last few days before race, got recovery on day before race but i got hit the wall at early stage but manage to reach finish lane on half marathon

I hope it will become an annual fixture.... wonder have you though about Wicklow Marathon 2011????

maybe extra route is Ashford and Brittas Bay, that should be cover in full marathon???...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

3 stars (average)
    I gave this race (the 10k) a 4 in the race rating, based on the categories provided:

Scenery: 3
    PB potential: 1
    Atmosphere: 4
    Value: 3
    Organisation: 5

It's probably a bit over priced, and there's no chance of running a PB on it even on a cool day, but it was extremely well organised and there was a good buzz about it.

Advertisement