Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help finding butternut squash

Options
  • 26-01-2010 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi. I'm been making my own butternut squash soup but it's a lot of hard work peeling and chopping up the butternut squashes. Is there anywhere in Dublin that sells it ready peeled and chopped (in the chilled or frozen section). I've tried loads of places already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Marks and Spencers sometimes have it in there frozen foods section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'd just cut it in two, scoop out the seeds then roast it. Then you have the lovely flavour from roasting it and you can easily scoop out the flesh from the skin at that point. I've been doing this since I broke my peeler trying to remove the damned skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

tscul32 wrote: »
    I'd just cut it in two, scoop out the seeds then roast it. Then you have the lovely flavour from roasting it and you can easily scoop out the flesh from the skin at that point. I've been doing this since I broke my peeler trying to remove the damned skin.

That sounds like a great idea. Do you cover it when roasting it or just put the two halves in on a baking tray? Also, how long would you roast it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭tscul32

Think I put it cut side up in a tin, cover with foil and give it about 40mins. Give it a check then, it's ready when it's completely tender. Not sure if the foil is a requirement. You could also dot with butter or drizzle oil over it before roasting.

tscul32 wrote: »
    Think I put it cut side up in a tin, cover with foil and give it about 40mins. Give it a check then, it's ready when it's completely tender. Not sure if the foil is a requirement. You could also dot with butter or drizzle oil over it before roasting.

I just finished my last bowl of it so I'll give that a try with my next batch tonight. I usually roast a red pepper anyway which I throw in along with a carrot, some cumin, a good dash of curry powder and some low-fat creme fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

The squash is also delicious with the skin on, just btw

Oh thanks - I didn't realise you could eat the skin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 pop.1280

Is it delicious after roasting? it looks pretty tough raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

It's edible, but I don't like it. I tried it once and ended up eating around it. It goes rubbery when roasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I've gotten it cubed in bags in Superquinn before - but it was mixed with Sweet Potato I think.
    One of them I liked, the other not so much - I still don't know to this day which was which :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It's edible, but I don't like it. I tried it once and ended up eating around it. It goes rubbery when roasted.

It wasn't roasted long enough if it was rubbery, it should be very soft if roasted properly, like cut with a butter knife soft.
    I hold no truck with the practice of halfcooking some veg just to be *cool*.
    I grew up eating roasted veg and it ha to be roasted well or it's not very nice to eat, the caramelisation process doesn't work until its well cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Microwaving butternut squash is an easy alternative. Cut it in half vertically, scoop out the seeds, put squash halves on a microwave-safe plate, microwave for 10-15 minutes or so until tender - depending on the size. No need to peel.
    I had calluses on my hands and blunted knives cutting off the peels on this until I discovered there was no need :o

Advertisement