Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whale at Hook Head?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'd love to go down and get some picts. Looks stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Some great shots but would reckon you would need to get out on a boat to make the most of it.. Who wants to charter one then :) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

What a sight this would make, both Whales and the photographers with 300mm lens !

Chorcai wrote: »
    What a sight this would make, both Whales and the photographers with 300mm lens !

A 100-400mm might be better here. Lower aperture wouldn't be a problem, and the extra reach might be more useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

^^ with IS, I wouldnt trust myself on a little boat with that kinda of lens. GEAR OVER BOARD !!!!

• Advertisement

Surfboard and a 50mm... who's with me?!

I've used both the 300mm and the 100-400mm on a boat before. The 100-400mm is smaller and easier to hold, especially on a pitching deck.

Use the straps and hold on tight. As for gear ... make sure it's insured, and use any weather protection you have, in case of splashes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I got a few lovely shots of southern right whales in South Africa in August with a Nikon D60 with 55-200 lens.

One of them stuck his head out of the water about 20m away from me and I swear he posed...

I actually think that was the day I really "got into" photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Apparently the fish was 3 miles off land... so either a boat, or a telescope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

I didn't think you could see Wales from Hook Head... (I'll get my coat)
    gman2k wrote: »
    Apparently the fish was 3 miles off land... so either a boat, or a telescope.

Whales aren't fish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭andrewk08

Its quiet rare to get the humpbacks breach and in close proximity.
    I have seen it about 50 times and usually its about a mile away.
    If anyone if interested in seeing shots, check out my Humpback:
    http://www.akellyphoto.com/html/wildlife/alaska/pages/Breaching-humpback.htm

(Now those shots are clear!)

www.akellyphoto.com

testicle wrote: »
    I didn't think you could see Wales from Hook Head... (I'll get my coat)

Whales aren't fish!

I know, they are mammals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Surfboard and a 50mm... who's with me?!
    My 450D in a ziplock bag and away I go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

andrewk08 wrote: »
    Its quiet rare to get the humpbacks breach and in close proximity.
    I have seen it about 50 times and usually its about a mile away.
    If anyone if interested in seeing shots, check out my Humpback:
    http://www.akellyphoto.com/html/wildlife/alaska/pages/Breaching-humpback.htm

(Now those shots are clear!)

www.akellyphoto.com

Really like your photo's Andrew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the chances of getting a great photo are prob slim but it would be worth it just for the craic/experience

If I had not of lost my wallet the other day I'd prob go see it, apparently one was spotted in kerry today

If I had not of lost my wallet the other day I'd prob go see it, apparently one was spotted in kerry today

There was a wallet spotted in Kerry? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you'll never see a wallet in Kerry... well not an open one! :D

Advertisement